18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Great CL score.......an 18 gallon fuel tank complete with mounting brackets and sending unit for $40!!! Plus I met a real nice guy who boats on the bay with a sweet 18' Whaler.

DSCF2479.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Big weekend on the boat. First thing I did was disassemble everything I had mocked up in the bow area. Then I cut out all my hatches. I then added 3/4" stiffeners around the hatch areas. Then I painted everything with 2 coats of Valspar porch and floor paint. I went this route because it would have cost me too much $$ and time to do all this in epoxy. Painting the wood will add some level of waterproofing plus it will keep the wood from soaking up the carpet adhesive.

Here you can see the stiffeners
DSCF2482.jpg

I also painted the consoles
DSCF2483.jpg

Bunch 'o painted parts. This paint cut me a break by drying super-quick thus allowing me to get 2 coats on each side in short order
DSCF2484.jpg

Side panels and consoles
DSCF2485.jpg

All my painted stuff
DSCF2487.jpg

I ended the day working with my wife to cut out the vinyl to be installed in the bow. This was a quite a challenge but we got them done and fit. It looks so great that I couldn't resist dry-fitting everything just to see sorta what it will look like. The vinyl is not glued yet.
DSCF2488.jpg

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Looks really good EZ..I'm impressed! Gonna be a very nice rig when its done.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Wow Ez...freekin Wow..I see a lot of NB in your work bud..

Great job

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Next steps are to get the vinyl cut for the side storage areas, glue all the side vinyl in, drop some epoxy in some sunken screws holes in the deck, sand the deck then install the deck vinyl.

As some of you may remember, my drivers console had a ratty carpeted plywood dash panel on it. The passenger one, however, had a thick aluminum dash panel in excellent shape. It had a huge cutout in it though for a glove box that I won't be using. I double check the fit of that panel today before dissassembling everything and it fits and looks great. So I dodged a small bullet in that I have an excellent aluminum template for my new King Star Board dash panels. I have the material I just need to get it cut out.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys. I think it's going to go quick from here on out. Figuring out the bow structure and hatches and all the finishes was a bit of a stumbling area but I know what I'm doing at this point. I can't wait to have the bow all done.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

ezmobee,
Looking very nice. I know that vinyl will look great on the deck.
Looking forward to seeing it completed.
Keep up the great work.
Bob

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Lookin good EZ. I basically took the same approach as you with the wood finish - I epoxied the transom and floor plywood. But, for all the other boards I painted them with Rustoleum. I figure the oil-based Rustoleum should provide a reasonable degree of water protection. It's not like my boat will be moored in some salty cove in Nantucket... my project boat will spend 95% of its time covered and out from the elements. The paint will work fine.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice work...the bow structure looks like it will be really solid:)

When NB is giving you compliments then you know you must be doing something right;)

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

Looking real good EZ, I'm liking the deck.

Jeff

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Looking Good Jeremy

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Looking good EZ, I may have missed this somewhere, but does the vinyl have an anti-slip type finish?

After watching some of you guys and your winter progress, I believe my next major project will be an addition to the side of my shop/garage...man I'm so jealous!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yes, the vinyl has a deeply textured finish to it.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Yes, the vinyl has a deeply textured finish to it.

That's cool, I really like the color you chose.

Forcasting mid 40's here for the weekend, yea, we're almost there!

fshngho

Lieutenant

EZ, I just want to say,... well I guess I mean,... how in the world do....I guess I'm speachless:redface: Some people lead, and some people follow. You da man EZ, guess I'll shut up and learn from the Master. Great work.
Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.