Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

divimon2000

Seaman
Re: Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

I just read thru the whole post and am amazed. (Although I do know how fun it is to dig into the hardest stuff and just do it.) Not too many people out there like that anymore, my friends hike and mountain bike but couldn't change a cell phone battery. Hats off my man, it's motivating to the rest of us. Oh, BTW, here is my foster from local rescue group, which of course turned into ownership. Doh! Black Golden plus German Shepherd.

Attachments

• DSC_3078.jpg
    DSC_3078.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 0

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Last night after I posted the pictures I went back to my cigar room and lit up a nice stoogie before going to bed. Then I got antsy, put down the cigar and went back out to work on the boat!

I removed the entire interior except the port gunwale cover.
Removed stereo and speakers..
Played with the control and couldn't get it apart...seems to be stuck.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

OK,
Last night I told you I would post a pic of the tool.
Chain saw on wheel.:eek:
IMG00122.jpg

Now the flush cut saw.:eek:
IMG00123.jpg

I didn't tell the truth, I said I was only going to by one of them, Well I got both. I have got to try both, right.:p
Enjoy the pic's.
Bob

skargo

Banned

WOW! That grinder wheel attachment is a MUST have!:eek:

BobsGlasstream

Commander

I forgot to say that the grinder blade is manufactured By King Arthur's Tools. They have a web site www.katools.com, it has a big brother that is a dado blade. I love any reason to buy a new tool.:D
Bob

system-f

You must say which one you use the most. I think I am going to start with the kicker saw.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

I plan to try them both out this weekend, weather permitting. I don't get a lot of time on the boat. However I will let you know how they both work for me.
Have a great day.
Bob

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Wow System-F you are really tearing into this thing,,moving quick

SWEET

and DIVAMON......I seen a Glastron GT150 here in Vegas for sale ...great price too...but we already have 4 boats so it was out of the question :-( maybye next year!

system-f

This weekend I am flying out of town for a big Halloween party and cannot do any boat work :( It also looks like my foster dog, Diva, is for sure going to go back to her previous owner tonight. I love dogs, especially German Shepherd dogs, but aclimating a new dog to my current dog and the house/rules is hard to do when I just want to work on the boat. I might wait before getting another dog. The boat work has me really nervous and I fear it won't be done by April.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Wow, that grinder attachment looks like a real de-limber...hope you plan to wear chainmail gloves when you run that puppy and eye protection.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

I was thinking more along the line of full body armor.:eek:
I can just see the blood running but I'll let you know, if I still have have finger to type.:p
Have a great day
Bob

system-f

I will be in full leather welding gear when I use mine. The gloves are thick enough to protect my hands..I am more worried about it getting caught in my shirt which hurts bad enough with a grinding disc.

system-f

I picked up a Lancelot, 3m 6000 series respirator, Tyvek suit and some gloves to dig into the demo work.

I'm not sure if my boat has been restord before, but it sure was built pretty well. The bottom of the deck is wet and so is the lower part of the transom, but I have found minimal rot if any so far. All of the wood is 99% structural in tact which is making demo a pain. The way the deck was tabbed into the hull is rather impressive.

I will have to pull the cap so that the deck that the gas tank sits on can be redone. I really do not need to as the wood is not one big wet. Coating the underside with resin might be a better alternative. I would like to fit a 30 gallon gas tank to replace my 18 gallon and fit a ballast tank under the gas tank.

100_1382_small.jpg

This is under the deck the gastank sits on. This area was fiberglassed water tight and actually had 1/4" of rainwater in it.

100_1383_small.jpg

There was a bulkhead between the top deck and bottom deck I had to cut out. Structurally the front of this boat seems very strong.

100_1385_small.jpg

system-f

The center stringer is going to be a pain.

100_1386_small.jpg

The foam I had to remove.

100_1387_small.jpg

Floor coming up

100_1388_small.jpg

and my super fat Maine Coon cat.

100_1389_small.jpg

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey system-f
Great start, looks like that foam came out pretty much in tack. :)
I had to dig mine out.:mad:.
I used the flush cut saw mostly. Once I could see were I was cutting it would allow me to get pretty close. I plan to go back around the edge and trim it closer, trying to keep the grinding down. :D
Jury is still out on the Lancelot for me.
keep up the good work, look for to seeing your progress.
Bob

system-f

THe lancelot has been amazing at tearing into my Transom. Since my transome is 90% solid it is very hard to come out so I have to cut out 6" squares and then pry the ply out...then cut deeper and pry that out and so on and so on. You can actually walk the Lancelot side to side!

For the deck I have found that using the metal cut off wheel where the deck was tabbed in just to remove the fiberglass has been the best way to cleanly get rid of all the wood.

I have no idea how I am going to get this boat back together :(

BobsGlasstream

Commander

I have no idea how I am going to get this boat back together :([/QUOTE]

Just like everyone else. One piece at a time.:D.
Keep the faith you'll be fine.:)
I'm glad that the Lancelot is working good for you.
Have fun.:D
Bob

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

It looks like we are all in this together. Good luck with the rebuild, I will be watching the whole way.

system-f

I would really like to be able to access the underside of the boat once construction is completed. Should I just use round marine access panels?

BobsGlasstream

Commander

I would really like to be able to access the underside of the boat once construction is completed. Should I just use round marine access panels?

Depends on what you mean by access?
If you just want to be able to inspect area's then I would go with the round inspection ports.
If you mean access to larger area's such as the gas tank, then you will need some type of hatch.:)
I plan to put a hatch over my tank so that if I have any problems I will be able to take out the tank without tearing my floor up again. :rolleyes:
Bob