New to iBoats with my 71 Glasstron

mydeckisbrokt

Seaman Apprentice
Re: New to iBoats with my 71 Glasstron

It should slide out, but you may have some luck pulling it out if you use a hair dryer to soften up the rubber. The aluminum rail is going to be either riveted on or held in place with stainless screws.

Rub rail = off, ty!

I ran into what I beleive will be the last demolition problem here. Seperating the cap from the transom and the transom from the boat. where the splashwell is, the rear section(vertical part) is well attahed to the transom, and the top is bonded together w/ something, but I am unsure what something that is. When I grind, it glistens and leaves white powder everywhere. My grinder is only a 4" and wont get all the way through.

I was thinking of cutting where the splashwell meats the transom, and glassing the spashwell to the new transom once installed. I cant see any way of getting it seperated w/ out doing some damage, so I am reaching out to find some help.

Thanks in advance.:confused:

transom1.JPG

transom2.JPG

transom3.JPG

transom4.JPG

transom5.JPG

jcsercsa

Captain

HAy !!!

glad you could use the lift idea for the motor !!!!!

On the transom , looks like someone did this before !! looks like they marine tex , the gap the was in between the top and the hull !!On mine it was just glassed under the splash well , thats going to be ruff getting it apart!!
I like the idea of cutting the splash well off as close as you can !! John

mydeckisbrokt

Seaman Apprentice

HAy !!!

glad you could use the lift idea for the motor !!!!!

On the transom , looks like someone did this before !! looks like they marine tex , the gap the was in between the top and the hull !!On mine it was just glassed under the splash well , thats going to be ruff getting it apart!!
I like the idea of cutting the splash well off as close as you can !! John

I looked at it for another 1.5 hrs after posting, and thats what i feel comfortable with. Will be a few weeks though. 9 days of rain ahead!

In the mean time I am going to build my motor hoist to roll around in the garage. Spend some time tinkering on the motor. It needs to be cleaned, started and tuned.

- Thanks for your ideas and responses, I would be lost w/ out this site.

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

How about grind the cap free and once you put it back on glass it all back together. No worries on putting the cap back on look up my thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=259516; as you can see i had some real issues, I glassed the gaps between the transom and splashwell after we got the cap back to the right spot.

Good Luck on your project.

TC

redfury

Commander

If Glastron did to your boat what they did to mine, they used a "peanut butter" type of bonding agent to fill the gap between the transom wood and the top of the cap so it would be solid. A sawzall will make quick work of it and you'll be able to feel if you are hitting the glass behind it so you won't cut through it. After I cut through mine, I simply used a hydraulic jack and some wood to even out the pressure and slowly applied pressure and the rest popped right up. You don't want to force it off though. If it just isn't going, then there is still something you haven't cut through enough yet.

mydeckisbrokt

Seaman Apprentice

I will have to give that a shot. Thats one of the few tools I do not own is a saws-all. Looks like its time to add to the pack! Its very windy and rainy lately, so I probably will be garage ridden for a few weeks :)

- Andy

MrPhotographer06

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It looks like I will be forced to remove the cap, as there is a brace for the bow storage which definately needs replacement, and I wont be able to glass it in completely w/ out pulling the cap. I am nervous about pulling the cap, only because I am not sure about putting it back on, and how easy/hard it may be, but since I will be pulling the cap, I am going to replace the transom anyway, especially while I have a good template. Im just hoping I can seperate the transom from the glass so I dont have to do anything further on the exterior. I also found that in the rear, the flotation foam is also wet to keep the motor out of the water, so that will also have to be redone. Might as well replace all the wood to ensure its all done.

what lenth is this boat?

i havea 68 [i cant remember..pretty sure its a 68]

Glastron V 147 fish n ski.. its got a 35 evinrude. my grandpa had it clocked back in the day at 28 mph with the same motor and all

heres my progress thread.
http://www.cbhforums.com/index.php?showtopic=3248

i've got the same case and i'm doin it the cheep way.. using regular plywood, treated stringers and doing the repair work myself.. Its going to be my beater boat....

your boat looks identical to mine except mines green and yours is brown.. i'm going to paint mine when i get through and the brown looks good..

Do you have any pics of the inside and the seating area before you tore the floor out?

oh also on my pics dont pay any attention to where the top cap is ont he back, it was hacked up by the prev. owner when they put the steel plate on

The cap is easy to get off on this boat.. just take the corner and front plates off with a screwdriver, then put a screwdriver behind the molding and start pulling it off.. then take the 164616498 screws out the side and then the top should just pull up and off.. its easy to get back on, start at the front and get it as close to flush as you can then push the hull in and set the top down as you walk down it.. i do it twice a day when i'm working on the boat ..

mydeckisbrokt

Seaman Apprentice

what lenth is this boat?

i havea 68 [i cant remember..pretty sure its a 68]

Glastron V 147 fish n ski.. its got a 35 evinrude. my grandpa had it clocked back in the day at 28 mph with the same motor and all

heres my progress thread.
http://www.cbhforums.com/index.php?showtopic=3248

i've got the same case and i'm doin it the cheep way.. using regular plywood, treated stringers and doing the repair work myself.. Its going to be my beater boat....

your boat looks identical to mine except mines green and yours is brown.. i'm going to paint mine when i get through and the brown looks good..

Do you have any pics of the inside and the seating area before you tore the floor out?

oh also on my pics dont pay any attention to where the top cap is ont he back, it was hacked up by the prev. owner when they put the steel plate on

The cap is easy to get off on this boat.. just take the corner and front plates off with a screwdriver, then put a screwdriver behind the molding and start pulling it off.. then take the 164616498 screws out the side and then the top should just pull up and off.. its easy to get back on, start at the front and get it as close to flush as you can then push the hull in and set the top down as you walk down it.. i do it twice a day when i'm working on the boat ..

That is the exact same boat. My boat is green, not brown, everything is the same. The issue i am having w/t he Cap is that is seriously molded to the transom on both the inside and top of the transom to the splashwell, right now im just waiting for weather to get better and ill get started again, Today i build my motor carriage to move it around in the garage while its in the works. I am also painting mine black/grey I will show pics of the center console once I finish the new top to the livewell.

Shoot me an e-mail, would be nice to share Ideas and tips/tricks of this boat w/ ya.

- Andy

MrPhotographer06

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is the exact same boat. My boat is green, not brown, everything is the same. The issue i am having w/t he Cap is that is seriously molded to the transom on both the inside and top of the transom to the splashwell, right now im just waiting for weather to get better and ill get started again, Today i build my motor carriage to move it around in the garage while its in the works. I am also painting mine black/grey I will show pics of the center console once I finish the new top to the livewell.

Shoot me an e-mail, would be nice to share Ideas and tips/tricks of this boat w/ ya.

- Andy

this is the 3rd ever V147 fish and ski i've ever seen online so i'm happy to find a fellow owner..

my email is MrPhotographer06@gmail.com

MrPhotographer06

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah when i drug mine out i never was able to find another like it.

this "project" started back in july of 06. and my moms dad [joe] said that he'd fix it so we took it over there and it sat through the rest of the year until around christmas 06 and i went and got the majority of the floor out. then it sat all 07 and i picked it back up the christmas of 07 and brought it home and put it under the shed. then in May of 08 i started work on it and got in a fight and broke my hand. so i worked on the boat with a cast on my right hand. got the floor down and had everything ready, got my cast off and we were headed to my cousins pond to check it out and my dad stopped us and told us to wait.. then he made me take everything out and cut the transom corner out and fiberglassed 2 layers and left it.. then it sat from like june 20th to about 3 weeks ago and i took it out and my same best friend and i are back to where we were last may before my dad stopped us. Today i'm goin to get the 2nd layer of wood for the floor and not stopping.

My plans are a double layer of regular plywood, then a lightweight casting deck made of 3/8 plywood and stud material with two doors on it for storage below and kingpin seat on the deck, one behind the drivers seat and one beside it.

drop me a line and we'll switch ideas

mydeckisbrokt

Seaman Apprentice

So today I finally got the motor up on my stand that I made. I completely ripped off a simple picture of a design. Too easy to do, and is EXTREMELY stable.

the internal wiring looks so much better than the wiring on the harness, which is definately refreshing, however I found the spark plugs were loose, leading me to beleive that someone has done a compression check on the motor. Question is, what was the result? looks like I will be finding out soon.

Here is a pic of my creation!

mounted.JPG

MrPhotographer06

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that suckers sweet..

i'm takin mine to some water tomorrow.. gunna leave it hooked to the winch just in case but i'm gunna leak test it then when we get back im gunna fiberglass the remainder of the transom in....

what color are you looking at painting if you paint?

mydeckisbrokt

Seaman Apprentice

that suckers sweet..

i'm takin mine to some water tomorrow.. gunna leave it hooked to the winch just in case but i'm gunna leak test it then when we get back im gunna fiberglass the remainder of the transom in....

what color are you looking at painting if you paint?

I am doing a Black/Grey combo. Hull would be grey and the cap black. Ill show you a pic of the console when I am done w/ it. an dyou can get an idea of what im going for. If you go to page 1 of this thread, the control box is using the color scheme.

Thanks for sharing the pics of your project, It helps a bundle. Were you left w/ a template after removing the transom, or did it all just fall apart?

MrPhotographer06

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh yeah.. that looks good.

i'm at school. my monitor is screwed up at home and your boat looks like brown.. lol
I'm not sure i think i'm just gunna get some cheepo pour and spray gloss black from napa.. 35 a gallon

then might throw some sparkles in it. The console is easy to get out so i'll just take it out when i paint the whole thing..

MrPhotographer06

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that transom wood was treated and good.. that wood in the pics is the original wood

mydeckisbrokt

Seaman Apprentice

Update:

Its been raining on every day I have been off work for the past 3 weeks, so I cant be working outside. Boat is covered under a canopy, but is just too wet to walk back and forth to the garage for anything, and running electrical cables isnt too smart in the rain i dont think ;-).

So I spent more time in the garage, put new hinges on the console for the live well for the top, and got the first coat of paint on the console.

I have been getting ready to fire up this motor, but I needed a few parts. I was able to find a guy on craigslist selling some extra mercury stuff, one which was the Wiring harness which I REALLY needed. Buying this new would have cost me about 180 bucks or so. This was a new one, and I paid 140. Along w/ that 140 I picked up the following goodies(guy had the exact motor I did):

Of course, I got the Mercury wiring harness (new)
Prime bulb(new)
ignition switch w/ key (used)
spare control box (used for parts)
Replacement chock switch(used)
Spare control cables(used)
A butt load of switches and gauges.(used)
and the diamond in the rough!............Full rack and pinion steering setup!!

So i figure i got about 400 dollars worth of stuff for 140. I was really stoked about the steering because I was not looking forward to getting new pullies and new steering cable.

Took a little modification, and will take a little more (i need to put the rack on the top side of the pinion if i want to steer in the right direction). After that is all done I can give the console another shot of gloss black and call it done for now.

racknpin1.JPG

racknpin2.JPG

I should have some more updates this week, weather permitting.

-Andy

MrPhotographer06

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update:

Its been raining on every day I have been off work for the past 3 weeks, so I cant be working outside. Boat is covered under a canopy, but is just too wet to walk back and forth to the garage for anything, and running electrical cables isnt too smart in the rain i dont think ;-).

So I spent more time in the garage, put new hinges on the console for the live well for the top, and got the first coat of paint on the console.

I have been getting ready to fire up this motor, but I needed a few parts. I was able to find a guy on craigslist selling some extra mercury stuff, one which was the Wiring harness which I REALLY needed. Buying this new would have cost me about 180 bucks or so. This was a new one, and I paid 140. Along w/ that 140 I picked up the following goodies(guy had the exact motor I did):

Of course, I got the Mercury wiring harness (new)
Prime bulb(new)
ignition switch w/ key (used)
spare control box (used for parts)
Replacement chock switch(used)
Spare control cables(used)
A butt load of switches and gauges.(used)
and the diamond in the rough!............Full rack and pinion steering setup!!

So i figure i got about 400 dollars worth of stuff for 140. I was really stoked about the steering because I was not looking forward to getting new pullies and new steering cable.

Took a little modification, and will take a little more (i need to put the rack on the top side of the pinion if i want to steer in the right direction). After that is all done I can give the console another shot of gloss black and call it done for now.

racknpin1.JPG

racknpin2.JPG

I should have some more updates this week, weather permitting.

-Andy

wow.. i wish i painted my crap now..

i'll probally paint it with it all togeather this winter..

mydeckisbrokt

Seaman Apprentice

Finally some decent weather! And with the time change, I now have more time after work to tinker.

I was able to get the cap off finally, this was a reall pain in the but w/ the grinding of the compound that was holding the cap to the top of the transom.

remove1.JPG

I was very surprised to see that the transom was two peices of wood, and not plywood placed together. This design was still strong, holding up that 50hp motor, even while rotted, so I will use the same design, exept I am going to add a lower 2x4 over 1" ply on the bottom section to add some extra support. The bottom peice fits under the 2x6 on top (2x6 is routed on one corner providing a slot for the lower section) The floatation foam on the sides appears to be dry, but I will be replacing it anyway, as its the same foam that was under the deck which felt more like a sponge after a cold shower.

remove2.JPG

I was able to pry the 2x6 away from the glass which was pretty well bonded to the transom glass. The 2x6 was in good condition except for the area just below the splash well drain.

remove3.JPG

After I removed it, I noticed a very hard black (compound? glue?) which was smooth after removal, but definately held things together. Anyone know what this is? If you do, please let me know as I would like to re-use it.

remove4.JPG

Making progress!! Its almost time to actually BUILD rather than DESTRUCT!

Thanks for stopping by, stay tuned for more updates!