Burnt 5 hp Gamefisher - need parts sources

440racer

Seaman Apprentice
Not sure how but I managed to sieze the motor.

I haven't run compression check but after running for 5-10 min at very low throttle the motor siezed.

Pretty sure I'll need new rings and possibly piston also.

Any guide to sources would be appreciated as well as any advice on what could have caused it premix & 50:1 was used.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Burnt 5 hp Gamefisher - need parts sources

Need a model number.A number of companies supplied motors for Sears.
If it is one of the air cooled models I my opinion not worth a rebuild.

440racer

Seaman Apprentice

The model is 217-585460

I'm not sure if it's air cooled or not. It has large heat sink fins on the cylinder and when it was running it did not squirt water out of the top of the motor, I don't see any signs of a waterpump or jackets but it could be internal.

I guess parts must be expensive if it's not worth a rebuild.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

1980 Built by Eska air cooled Tecumseh power head water cooled exhaust leg.
32:1 fuel mix with TCW3 rated oil.Water should mist out the relief holes in the leg.Looks like a combination of over heated leg and wrong lubrication.
Though I would think 32:1 would be ok for idling.Is it still seized now that it has cooled?In my opinion these motors are a comprimise at best.Noisy,vibrate,slightly under powered and finicky.Some parts are expensive and very hard to find.I would part it out.Put the money towards a 5-8 hp Evinrude or Johnson from the early 50s to the 80s.
smooth reasonably quiet,easy to work on and routine parts are readily available all the way back.

CATransplant

Admiral

I agree. You can get most of the parts at www.certifiedpartscorp.com, but you can buy a working Gamefisher for far less than the parts will cost. Frankly, I wouldn't put more than an impeller or new plugs in one of those things.

It's your choice, though. A nice older 6hp Johnson or Evinrude in running condition can usually be found for around $300-400. Now, those are sweet little outboards.

dimock44

Petty Officer 1st Class

My Mercury dealer told me that mercury bought the last series of gamefisher from Sears and are now supplying parts. I don't know how far back they go. Mine is a 93 and the part I needed had to be ordered from Their Wisconsin Plant. Worth a a phone call to your local Merc Dealer

CATransplant

Admiral

I doubt that Mercury has anything to do with the Eska-based Sears outboards. Maybe they had something to do with the last few years of Sears outboards, but not the Eskas.

From 1987-1996, the Sears Gamefishers were made by Force. Mercury might have some parts for these. Actually, searspartsdirect.com also has some parts.

440racer

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for the input guys!

The motor will now turn once it cooled off. I put some oil in the spark plug hole and let is sit/soak with the engine sitting with the plug hole pointing up.

The plug was VERY dry and had a little white coating obviously run too lean and maybe too hot (impeller problem?).

I'm going to run a compression check tonight. Any idea what PSI I should look for?

Now another question. I already have a beautiful 1950's 2 cyl 5hp outboard at home. I can't remember if it's a Johnson or Evinrude. I got it running a few years ago but continually had to adjust the richness and what I believe is an air/fuel mixture adjustment. This motor was my grandfathers and I would love to use it and it sounds like I should. Last summer I had a boat mechanic say I would never be able to get this motor to run right because it was built to run on leaded fuel and that they can't run properly on unleaded.

Is this true? Could I add lead additive to the fuel?

As I try to get it running again is it o.k. (safe) to use one of those clamp on attachments to connect a garden hose to it to try to get it running and adjusted?

Thanks again for all of you help & advice!

440racer

Seaman Apprentice

Ran compression check on the gamefisher - 30 psi so I guess the rings are shot maybe piston & cylinder.

The old outboard is a johnson 5 hp with TN 27 stamped on the side of the power head (don't know if that's a model number or not).

I can't believe it but it hasn't been cranked in about 10 years.

I put fresh gas in it. Opend the valves, pumped the primer and IT CRANKED.

Didn't run very well but it did run.

Now I'm looking for advice on prepping it for use such as lubrication, fuel, technique etc.

Is there a way to run it without having to have it in the lake? I was planning to use one of those clamp on things you hook a garden hose to but I couldn't find the water inlets on the leg?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The TN27 is a slightly different animal. A very good motor Dates about 51 basic design back to about 41.Idle mixture adjustment is what appears to be a bent wire that goes into what appears to be copper tubing on the front of the motor.I believe the wire sticks out the bottom front of the cover.Carb is on the side of the block with high speed mixture/primer knob on top starboard side of motor.I believe the TN27 or 28 may use the modern omc coils. A smooth reasonably quiet motor.Motor will run fine on 87 octane regular.
24:1 with TCW3 rated oil.
I would put it in a barrel to run. big trash can filled to the brim and right up against the clamp bracket.keep the hose running in the barrel if it has a clutch keep in neutral or be careful with the hose.I don't trust muffs.

440racer

Seaman Apprentice

thanks steel spike.

You've described the motor very well. I couldn't understand the "bent wire" adjustment and how it interacted with the speed lever on the top of the motor and the richness adjustment on the carb.

I think I've got it now.

I do have a couple of problems though. One is the clutch doesn't work. The cable is not broken and it feels like it is all connected properly but the lever is not disengaging the prop from the motor.

The other problem is after looking at the "how to awake a sleeping motor" I drained the leg and at first water came out and then milky oil. I'm not sure which gaskets/seals would need to be replaced.

Any ideas?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

As I understand it the clutch doesn't work unless the motor is running.
I believe the clutch may resemble that on the Gale 5D10 it is in the leg below the pump.and could be stuck can't tell you the exact operation.I'm sure someone here has first hand experience or you could ask over at www.aomci.org .I've had good luck emailing photo images of my Gale parts drawing of the clutch. If you PM me your email address i'll send a pic.