Chris Craft, input wanted?

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Re: Chris Craft, input wanted?

Be prepared to be underwhelmed...

The front helms are ridiculous to pattern, sew and fit...each one is 17 pieces, with french seams...very tough. So, here's one of them!
BEFORE:

THE BASE WITH FOAM:

COMPLETE (Front):

COMPLETE (Rear):

More than likely I'll order new ones with flip-up bolster before the end of the boating season!

~BRett

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, seats are tough. That's why I am going to have someone else do mine for me.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Considering the difficulty of those seats; you did pretty damn good for the first time around in my opinion. ;)

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I think you did pretty good Bud!!

If you need some reinforcement let me give it a shot, I'm sure you will be very happy with YOUR results!!LOL

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Thanks Further and Lipp...I talked with a local upholstery guy, showed him the pictures and he said, just pull the staples in the inside, use some 1/2" foam then re-staple and the wrinkles should pull tight! He did say he also hates marine upholstery and has trouble using the old pieces as templates...he's been doing upholstery for 30 years!

UPDATE:

Starting on Thursday of this week, I bought some 3mil plastic and made a template of the bow area and then transferred into my Weathermax80 material, cut it out, used double fold sunbrella 3/4" binding around the perimeter, sewed in 1 1/2" poly webbing (snap backer), then put approximately 24 snaps around perimeter. Went to put it on the boat yesterday and due to excessive wind speeds (30mph sustained, max like 50mph) was unable to get the boat male snaps mounted to the boat. Had an issue using my pop-rivets in the snaps as the opening is too small for the tip of the gun, so now I've got to go with screws in lieu of rivets (My Baja had all the snaps attached to boat with pop-rivets).

I used the same UV bonded polyester thread (white) on the navy blue cover (I like the contrast, but it shows a few uneven lines!).

Today my plan is to get the bow cover mounted and get my cockpit cover templated and start the construction process! My buddy coming over after 2:00 to help mount the sunpad (struts and rear hinges) he also gave to me 2 new marine batteries out of his Interceptor (he got 2 off-shore Gil style group 24 mounts and he only uses Deka batteries). My plan is to change out my single Perko battery switch to a Perko dual battery switch, add the 2nd one and have a back-up system.

I'll snap a few pics when the covers are mounted.

Also, have been kinda spending money on little things (Bimini cover, Cover material, snaps, webbing, more vinyl, new grab handles, plastic, binding, struts....) probably another $350.00? I still need new wheels and tires for the trailer ($600) and a few more odds and ends (stainless steel cup holders (8) and bilge hose, new vinyl decals, stereo/speakers). Does it ever end?

Cheers,
~Brett

Last edited:

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Yup, Splash day is going to be a good day!!

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Just grind the tip until it fits. That's what I do. Many others do the same.

Bruceb58...

Once again, you've come to my rescue! That's what I'll do!

pckeen; Technically the boat was re-splashed back in October (at least motor, outdrive and boat) The interior is almost complete (just lacking one helm seat and the few odds and ends mentioned above...My anticipate re-re-splash is early April?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

On my pontoon cover, I have done both. Depends on how lazy I am to get my pneumatic rivet tool out and compressor going. Also, with rivets, water can get through so keep that in mind.

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do you have any photos of the cover that you are making? May I ask how much you are spending on the material for it? Since you have the knack for sewing, it seems much cheaper to make that snap-on bow cover yourself instead of buying one. I've always wanted to try to make one.

Also, I really like how you have shown the prices that you have paid for everything. It lets everyone see how much is truely spent on a boat project when you do it all yourself

Great job!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Sunbrella is $16/yard wholesale up to $25/yard on the internet. Width is typically 60" wide. That is the main cost. Add for poly webbing, binding (if you do it that way), thread and snaps.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Baja,

Probably too late but the easiest way to fit the cover for snaps is to install the snaps on the boat first and then trim the material to the snaps.

To make it even easier, use quick fit pins to hold the material tight and then trim. Once you add the webbing and binding, you again use the quick fit pins to hold the cover while you add the snaps one at a time.

They are kinda pricey but make it a breeze:
Quick-Fit Fasteners, Awning Rail, Boating and Marine, Angle Hinge, Channel Trim End Cap from Rochford Supply - Your Online Textile and Upholstery Superstore!

Better price here.
http://www.perfectfit.com/15336/154462/Fastener-Tools/Quick-Fit-Tools.html

275590.jpg

Last edited:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Baja,

Probably too late but the easiest way to fit the cover for snaps is to install the snaps on the boat first and then trim the material to the snaps.

To make it even easier, use quick fit pins to hold the material tight and then trim. Once you add the webbing and binding, you again use the quick fit pins to hold the cover while you add the snaps one at a time.

They are kinda pricey but make it a breeze:
Quick-Fit Fasteners, Awning Rail, Boating and Marine, Angle Hinge, Channel Trim End Cap from Rochford Supply - Your Online Textile and Upholstery Superstore!

Yup too late, but I still have the cockpit cover too make! I will install the male snaps on the boat first and duct tape the new covers and layout snaps on fabric. Thanks for looking out for me!

Marc,

My material I got on ebay (I went with Weathermax80, which is an 8oz solution-dyed polyester) I got 10yds x 60" for $70+$20 for SH. I could've gotten Sunbrella (acrylic) for just a few more dollars, but decided on the WM80 because polyester has more abrasion resistance. Sunbrella has a slightly better UV rating, but WM 80 is good too. And, the other reason is with Sunbrella it is highly recommended to use a hot-knife to cut, which seals the fabric and keeps it from fraying. Polyester doesn't. I didn't want to invest in a hot-knife. My binding material is 3/4" Double fold Sunbrella, which I have a wound cauterizer that I sealed the ends with! Got it locally for $2.00 a yd.

COSTS:
2yds of WM80=$18
8yds of binding=$16
Polyester 1.5" webbing 8 yrds =$9.00
Snaps $.038 each (all parts)x 24=$9.12
Rivets x 24=$2.00
Thread (I had, UV Bonded 16oz polyester)=~$1.00
TOTAL: $55.12

A little more than I would've figured I spent if asked...but still cheaper than a professional!

I'll post the cockpit cover when complete...this week some time?

Last edited:

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks Awesome Brett. I'll be looking to do the same with mine shortly. Lookin nice and warm out by you lol. Not the case here! Spring is only 30 some days away... uggghhh

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Looks Awesome Brett. I'll be looking to do the same with mine shortly. Lookin nice and warm out by you lol. Not the case here! Spring is only 30 some days away... uggghhh

Yes, the weather here was nice...if only the wind would slow down!!! I'm thinking early April we'll be able to go boating? Not so sure about water skiing and/or wakeboarding (water temp is probably 60˚F)

On a side note, the coolest thing I got was this little CC pennant flag...gonna mount it on a little flagpole on the bow, I've always liked the look of the classic (wooden) Chris Craft boats..my homage, if you will?

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Got the cockpit cover 99% completed before I ran out of daylight. Needs 4 more snaps (fabric Female) on the webbing loops at the swim platform. I used webbing as a way to pull on material for snapping (snaps attached to webbing). Have to cutout and bind rear holes for bimini mount (front are done) I decided to just disconnect bimini at each point when I out on the covers rather than sew in velcro flaps...I might still do that at a later date?

Further, If you want me to send you the plastic templates I made, I'd be happy too? Overall the cockpit cover turned out nice, very happy with results. I maybe got a little over-zealous putting snaps every 6" around the windshield?

Thanks for looking!

~Brett

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks great my friend! Very impressive... That was quick! I still have the original canvas but it's all pretty well shot so was gonna redo like yours so yes the plastic templates would be a life and time saver for sure. Hopefully it'll warm up and thaw out a bit here so I can actually get some stuff done. At a standstill with everything cause of all this snow. Less than 30 days till spring tho:). Let me know bout the templates and when you wanna send em. I'll take care of the shipping. Thanks man!