Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MRDRH99
    After all is said and done, considering the propensity towards leaky Mariners after the two year mark, how would you honestly rate the M4
    vs the Saturn...in your opinion ?

Comment

• With MY experiences with both ..... $ for $ it's about equal.I never had any problems with my mariner though... Response may be different if so.

Comment

• Remember what you're buying the boat for though. When I lived in the mountains the mariner was perfect, but we have moved close to the beach and that is where I use the Saturn a majority of the time plus I needed a much larger motor. Now I have the Saturn and a Johnson 14 and couldn't be happier, however, now I'm getting jealous of the guys running their larger skiff and center consoles so.....

Comment

• Rule 6 - . You may not post in the forum to promote any personal enterprise, advertise a business or product, or to solicit responses for contests, polls, or similar. This includes directing members to social networking sites.
          Last edited by GA_Boater; October 25th, 2014, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• I have been debating with myself if I wanted to do a floor mod or just a couple of seat mods. After taking the M4 out today and really doing some serious fishing while standing I have decided I need a floor mod. I've stood in it before but never for more than a minute at a time. So now I would like to know of you guys who have done floor mods how many of you use only the floor you made versus putting your mod on-top of the stock floor? I don't want to have 2 floors so I want to make mine to use without the stock floor so any tips would be appreciated.

Comment

• brusac
              see most recent posts on floor mod #1263-1266

Comment

• Hey guys,

I just started working on my floor mod and need some advice on the following:

For pipe insulation on the edge would foam or rubber be preferable?

Also I plan on putting carpet then foam. What adhesive would be best in order to install the foam over the carpet?
                Last edited by 180drft; September 28th, 2014, 12:05 AM.

Comment

The foam insulation is about $ 1.65 for a 6-8 foot piece at H DEPOT. I use the foam because if itg gets damaged it is cheap and easy to replace.
                  I used a glue gun for it..the insulation..but liquid nails, or any DAP squeeze adhesive will work.
                  Some folks use a garden hose ,split in the middle to cover the edges of the floor, and that means extra effort to secure it..usually a staple gun..which I don't want the loose staple next year finding their way into the inflatable floor. The foam, rubber, what ever is just an extra buffer between rough wood edges of the floor and the inflatable . Some used the same carpet( over lap) they used to cover the floor. Good Luck

Comment

• Thanks for the feedback Flukes. I was dreading the thought of going back and reviewing the 1300 posts to the thread to re-find the info I needed (it took me 2 months to read through all the posts before my first comment) so that helped out. Now I just need to find the time to make the build. Thinking I'll do it as a winter project since I won't be out on the water anyways, or outside much for that matter (Wisconsin winters can be harsh, specially for this relocated Southern boy).

Comment

• Originally posted by flukesofnature View Post
                      The foam insulation is about $ 1.65 for a 6-8 foot piece at H DEPOT. I use the foam because if itg gets damaged it is cheap and easy to replace.
                      I used a glue gun for it..the insulation..but liquid nails, or any DAP squeeze adhesive will work.
                      Some folks use a garden hose ,split in the middle to cover the edges of the floor, and that means extra effort to secure it..usually a staple gun..which I don't want the loose staple next year finding their way into the inflatable floor. The foam, rubber, what ever is just an extra buffer between rough wood edges of the floor and the inflatable . Some used the same carpet( over lap) they used to cover the floor. Good Luck
                      Thanks for the response Flukesofnature. You make some good points and think I will go with the foam for the edges. As far as gluing it on I think I will try the same adhesive that I will be using on the carpet first. If that doesn't work then I will try something else. Thanks again

Comment

• So, does anyone know the dimensions needed to cut the hardwood floor? I bought a Min Kota 30lb thrust 30" shaft trolling motor. The 30" shaft will be long, right? Any suggestions on extending the trolling motor wires so I can place the battery mid ship? My M4 is en route to me right now. I'm trying to get as much worked out now so I can fish'n asap. Looks like I'll be stopping buy the CA DMV to get it registered. How does everyone attach teh registration numbers to the boat? Thanks!

Comment

• Here's mine...
                          Did this about a month ago. Used 3/4 plywood instead of the original floor. I keep my battery under the bench, in front, so I had to extend the motor's original cable.

Attached Files
                          Last edited by Greg_S; October 8th, 2014, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• Nice. Measurements taken of floor? Did you attach the two floor sections together?

Comment

• Greg
                              Well done set up. I am curious ..have you tried your oars yet with the position of your seat. I built my post about 17 inches high. The length of my shin, so I would not have to "crouch" all day long.( I am six four) The result is great if I never have to row...when rowing, the height of the seat(post + 2-3 inches of seat) cause the plane of the oars to not be able to be rowed comfortably with very little stroke being able to be be pulled entirely. I extended the oars, and had some success, but the seat position is still off. I have a shelf, like yours at mid ships..and it is easier to sit on that and row, than to sit in the swivel seat, because the shelf is about the same height as the top of the inflated side tube,about 11 inches. What is your experience? I don't row much...thanks to the great battery center and Minn Kota 40..but occasionally , when approaching the shallow water, or when I have the motor up for launching etc..the whole rowing thing is not a smooth , fun experience in any way.....I could re mount the seat and move it more towards the front, but that puts me farther away from the motor and turning handle...etc.
                              But I realize the oars were designed for no seat, no floor,sit on the inflatable seat. and row the "raft pool toy" around with no power, so that is a given.....LOL
                              Last edited by flukesofnature; October 9th, 2014, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Flukes~I'm mounting swivel seats on milk crates to avoid the problem you're having. I want to be able to move the seat forward and back to use the trolling motor and oars as needed.

Comment

Working...
                                X