Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

G

Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

@weimed
What new OB are a good fit for the M4? They are all 4stroke engines now. I don't have any trusted sources for used OB's so I need to consider new.
Thanks
-Mike
Get either tohatsu aka Nissan 2stroke they are super light and reliable (these used in good condition could cost as much as new ones) Johnson/evinrude is nice and mercury/mariner. I own a mercury. make sure you get the 15" shaft very important. 3.5 two stroke of any of those brands I mentioned will be fine. intex mariner 4 with yamaha 3hp motor.3gp - YouTube . any 3.5 two stroke will work just do not buy anything past 95 you don't want a very old outboard. buying used engines could be tricky. try paying with payal because if you feel you got the short end of a deal or your were misled you could file a claim and get your money back. Use ebay, it might be a tad over priced but at least your money is safe. I've had mixed experiences with craigslist. I bought my first outboard a 15hp force 1987 off craigslist and first time on the water it wouldn't go anywhere failed launch. I bought a compression tester and found out one of the cylinders were shot even though he started it for me at his garage. So do not buy a force engine and try using electronic payment methods so you don't get ripped off. always look under the cowl that will tell you how the person treated his engine (look for dirt dust scrapes leaves). I bought my second mercury 1997 off ebay 6hp and drove 2.5 hours to pick it up knowing if he screws me over I will file a claim and get my money back. The engine was clean under the cowl looked almost new. also look at the screws (oil drain screws, lower unit screws if they are beat up means they have done a lot of work on it could be a good or a bad thing. always have a compression tester with plug wrench and good good compression for the type of engine your buying. better yet you can post us info on what your looking at and we can try to help before you make the trip.

Desode

Seaman Apprentice

Wow Weimed, You have had some bad experiences with used outboards !
I'm glad I haven't had that problem.
The Johnson 2hp is the most I have ever spent on a outboard ($150).
I have six different outboards in good running condition, and have been very blessed with my used purchases.
Grant it I enjoy working on them, and I'm in the process of also restoring a 1947 3.3 hp Evinrude opposed twin(Number 7 when finished).

For some reason most people think that there are no new 2 strokes anymore ? I wonder why that is.

Desode

Last edited:

Cyber6

Cadet

Get either tohatsu aka Nissan 2stroke they are super light and reliable (these used in good condition could cost as much as new ones) Johnson/evinrude is nice and mercury/mariner. I own a mercury. make sure you get the 15" shaft very important. 3.5 two stroke of any of those brands I mentioned will be fine. intex mariner 4 with yamaha 3hp motor.3gp - YouTube . any 3.5 two stroke will work just do not buy anything past 95 you don't want a very old outboard. buying used engines could be tricky. try paying with payal because if you feel you got the short end of a deal or your were misled you could file a claim and get your money back. Use ebay, it might be a tad over priced but at least your money is safe. I've had mixed experiences with craigslist. I bought my first outboard a 15hp force 1987 off craigslist and first time on the water it wouldn't go anywhere failed launch. I bought a compression tester and found out one of the cylinders were shot even though he started it for me at his garage. So do not buy a force engine and try using electronic payment methods so you don't get ripped off. always look under the cowl that will tell you how the person treated his engine (look for dirt dust scrapes leaves). I bought my second mercury 1997 off ebay 6hp and drove 2.5 hours to pick it up knowing if he screws me over I will file a claim and get my money back. The engine was clean under the cowl looked almost new. also look at the screws (oil drain screws, lower unit screws if they are beat up means they have done a lot of work on it could be a good or a bad thing. always have a compression tester with plug wrench and good good compression for the type of engine your buying. better yet you can post us info on what your looking at and we can try to help before you make the trip.

Always ask for serial number and verify the year. Take the seller's info with grain of salt. My first 2hp suzuki was sold to me as 1989 but after checking the serial number it tuned out to be 1984. I sold to someone as 1984 for $50 more than what I paid. Also, stay away from Made in China ob, not worth it.
A huge plus is the throttle on the tiler, and make sure you have neutral and forward gear. Only the newer small ob have all 3 gears; forward, neutral and reverse.

I'm in the market for 1995 or higher 3-3.5 hp ob.

G

I have six different outboards in good running condition, and have been very blessed with my used purchases.
Grant it I enjoy working on them, and I'm in the process of also restoring a 1947 3.3 hp Evinrude opposed twin(Number 7 when finished).

For some reason most people think that there are no new 2 strokes anymore ? I wonder why that is.

Desode
yea man, I will be pulling the head off during the winter hoping its just the gasket.

Desode

Seaman Apprentice

yea man, I will be pulling the head off during the winter hoping its just the gasket.

Ugg,, Yeah you really have to watch out on the Chrysler/Force outboards..
I have a buddy that bought a boat with a 75hp on there and it has been nothing but problems, plus the parts are hard to find.
I actually try to stay away from the bigger engines for this reason.

The Small little two strokes,, 1.5 hp to 6hp is about as far as I go when it comes to dealing with much DIY work.

The Timing on the bigger chrysler/force outboards are a Pain to deal with !
I did a lot of work on my buddies 75hp and that was enough for me. :(
We got lucky and I found a guy in Ohio that used to be a dealer for Chrysler/Force and he had/has a entire Huge garage Full of parts. On my friends 75hp, the head gasket was designed wrong and it failed because of the design flaw.
This guy had a replacement gasket that was redesigned to fix the problem during the recall.
Then the timing belt went out on it, and I had to reset the timing which was a chore because it sinks with the 3 carbs and the steps to do that were Insane compared to other 3 cylinder outboards that I have worked on.

I will say this about the small outboards,,while 2 cylinders are smoother running, A 1 cylinder is way more simpler to deal with in terms of knowing if it's worth buying or not and then any repair. The newer single cylinder little outboards are surprisingly smooth running. I would say from the 1980's up. Unless it is a Very Old Classic and you enjoy a rebuild, I would recommend not going before that time frame.
Like you said, probably 1990's and up for someone with Zero small engine knowledge.

I am looking forward to getting my 1947 Evinrude 3.3hp going though.
I plan on it being my Go to for my M4 when it is finished ! :)

I have a Old Clinton 3.5 that I have used for the M4, and despite parts being hard to find, the thing has been a real workhorse.
It is however a 1 cylinder and it has a lot of vibration to it.
Clinton was after all a Chainsaw company that got into the outboard game.
LOL ! It sounds like a Big old Chainsaw too, but Darn if it doesn't really have the torque compared to other 3.5s that I have used.
Plus, in my experience they are Very hard to Kill ! LOL

Desode

Last edited:
G

Ugg,, Yeah you really have to watch out on the Chrysler/Force outboards..
I have a buddy that bought a boat with a 75hp on there and it has been nothing but problems, plus the parts are hard to find.
I actually try to stay away from the bigger engines for this reason.

The Small little two strokes,, 1.5 hp to 6hp is about as far as I go when it comes to dealing with much DIY work.

The Timing on the bigger chrysler/force outboards are a Pain to deal with !
I did a lot of work on my buddies 75hp and that was enough for me. :(
We got lucky and I found a guy in Ohio that used to be a dealer for Chrysler/Force and he had/has a entire Huge garage Full of parts. On my friends 75hp, the head gasket was designed wrong and it failed because of the design flaw.
This guy had a replacement gasket that was redesigned to fix the problem during the recall.
Then the timing belt went out on it, and I had to reset the timing which was a chore because it sinks with the 3 carbs and the steps to do that were Insane compared to other 3 cylinder outboards that I have worked on.

I will say this about the small outboards,,while 2 cylinders are smoother running, A 1 cylinder is way more simpler to deal with in terms of knowing if it's worth buying or not and then any repair. The newer single cylinder little outboards are surprisingly smooth running. I would say from the 1980's up. Unless it is a Very Old Classic and you enjoy a rebuild, I would recommend not going before that time frame.
Like you said, probably 1990's and up for someone with Zero small engine knowledge.

I am looking forward to getting my 1947 Evinrude 3.3hp going though.
I plan on it being my Go to for my M4 when it is finished ! :)

I have a Old Clinton 3.5 that I have used for the M4, and despite parts being hard to find, the thing has been a real workhorse.
It is however a 1 cylinder and it has a lot of vibration to it.
Clinton was after all a Chainsaw company that got into the outboard game.
LOL ! It sounds like a Big old Chainsaw too, but Darn if it doesn't really have the torque compared to other 3.5s that I have used.
Plus, in my experience they are Very hard to Kill ! LOL

Desode

yep. Tell you honestly I bought the force knowing 0 about obs. I been working on it since the second week of ownership #1 dude lied to me told me it was a 96 (in 96 mercury made force) then I found out it was an 87. At that time I had no clue mercury made the newer models and I did not even check the compression on it. 450 dollar lesson. I changed impeller fuel bulb Lu oil the throttle handle (pin broke do would not it open throtle. Basically all this then only I bought a compression tester just to be sure and found out I am screwed

G

I bought a 6hp merc 1997 and let me tell you this thing looks brand new. Not a drop of grease in the lower cowl. I can still see one of the original seals which is brown has not turned black yet. Basically very happy with this new on been using it since August and runs great "knock on wood"

mznewman

Seaman

Weimed, That's good time. Alone, I am at 25-30min with the M4, in water. You still have room to shave some time on the inflation. I burn time putting in the 8 wing bolts that fasten the pedestals to the floor, otherwise, its all smooth.

I like how your floor assembles (H and C joinery). That defect you pointed out is De-lamination. The glue between one (or more) lamination layers is failing in that spot. That is common with ply wood and can be repaired.

I am anxious to see some footage on the water.

Also, I found this 10min video clip last week and I love it
Inflatable Sport Boat Fishing - YouTube

This is a guy who is really leveraging his inflatable.

G

Weimed, That's good time. Alone, I am at 25-30min with the M4, in water. You still have room to shave some time on the inflation. I burn time putting in the 8 wing bolts that fasten the pedestals to the floor, otherwise, its all smooth.

I like how your floor assembles (H and C joinery). That defect you pointed out is De-lamination. The glue between one (or more) lamination layers is failing in that spot. That is common with ply wood and can be repaired.

I am anxious to see some footage on the water.

Also, I found this 10min video clip last week and I love it
Inflatable Sport Boat Fishing - YouTube

This is a guy who is really leveraging his inflatable.

Yes that a good rig this guy has. As for the floor I don't really care about the laminate coming off if it gets bad I will repaint it. If you scroll through the calling all NYC thread there's a video of me in the water we caught the spot fish. I need to get a good video technique. It's hard fighting chop and recording with iPhone. My 4s was already a casualty. If using a bravo high pressure pump I can be up and running in 10 min. Will record next time. The annoying part is getting it out the water and putting it back in my SUV. So it takes time to wipe down, deflate and pack properly. I will do a nice video before season end :)

Desode

Seaman Apprentice

I had the M4 to 14 mins with my modded floor , Original motor mount and that was using a drill with socket adapter on it.
Currently nothing beats my new set up with the 385Ft, I'm at 6 mins flat with the outboard on it and leaving the ramp.
When I get the Bravo Turbo pump that should even a little faster.
I have also considered just leaving it inflated and putting it on the Car roof. That would make it even quicker.

Has any one ever used a Inflatabe Car rack ?

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Desode
The reason is that you can no longer use new 2 strokes in the lower 48 of the USA.
Used 2 strokes are grandfathered

G

The reason is that you can no longer use new 2 strokes in the lower 48 of the USA.
Used 2 strokes are grandfathered

Yep, Ronald is correct. I would love a 4 stroke and not have to put oil in my gas and have it drip afterwards. The two stroke seem to be about 30lb lighter in the same hp category.

AnaKinG

Cadet

Hi all, first post here. :)

My friends and I go fishing for Kokanee on my intex mariner 4 with 55lbs minnkota. It's not a must have but did get 2 manual downriggers (cannon.) For the first 2 trips, I mounted them on a board and just put the board across the boat then tied it down with ratchet tie down. Worked out "OK" for those 2 trips (caught ~10 fish each trip :D)

I feel though that puts too much pressure on the inflatable tubes. anyone has experience with downrigger setup on mariner? any suggestions?

da_q-ban_one

Seaman Apprentice

@mznewman

Thanks for the info on the floor bud! (I've been meaning to thank you, but school's kept me away from the forum).

@desode

Good for you man, that is a REALLY good price for that lil sucker. If I tell you what kind of prices all those lil 2 strokes are running locally here in AZ, you'd flip out... we're talking anywhere from $350 to $800 and that is for USED and sometimes VERY old outboards. I actually (think I) got a good deal by buying a 2011 2.5hp 4-stroke off ebay for $479 including the shipping. The guy had it looked over by dealer and tuned up prior to shipping it (I'm currently waiting for it, cannot wait to receive it and test drive it on the M4!!)

That is a sweet looking setup on the 385ft w/ the 2hp johnny man!! Is that a custom mount or does Sea Eagle sell that as an accessory for the 385ft, curious if I could make it work on my 330...?

@weimed

Nice videos bro, what IS the interior size/space of the 350s?

@AnaKinG

Welcome!! Your downrigger idea sounds great, I think I'll have to add it to my list of Mod-to-dos (have you considered mounting the downrigger(s) straight to a custom hardwood/plywood floor? This might prove to be a bit sturdier than laying straight on top of the tubes.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would love to see some pics of those downriggers on the M4!!

thanks for sharing...

G

@mznewman

Thanks for the info on the floor bud! (I've been meaning to thank you, but school's kept me away from the forum).

@desode

Good for you man, that is a REALLY good price for that lil sucker. If I tell you what kind of prices all those lil 2 strokes are running locally here in AZ, you'd flip out... we're talking anywhere from $350 to $800 and that is for USED and sometimes VERY old outboards. I actually (think I) got a good deal by buying a 2011 2.5hp 4-stroke off ebay for $479 including the shipping. The guy had it looked over by dealer and tuned up prior to shipping it (I'm currently waiting for it, cannot wait to receive it and test drive it on the M4!!)

That is a sweet looking setup on the 385ft w/ the 2hp johnny man!! Is that a custom mount or does Sea Eagle sell that as an accessory for the 385ft, curious if I could make it work on my 330...?

@weimed

Nice videos bro, what IS the interior size/space of the 350s?

@AnaKinG

Welcome!! Your downrigger idea sounds great, I think I'll have to add it to my list of Mod-to-dos (have you considered mounting the downrigger(s) straight to a custom hardwood/plywood floor? This might prove to be a bit sturdier than laying straight on top of the tubes.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would love to see some pics of those downriggers on the M4!!

thanks for sharing...

It's weird I'm getting different specs from different website. I think it's 2ft 6 inches width and like 10.2ft long for interior space. If you want to look it up its Zoom by zodiac 350s. There's a steal from defender selling them for 699.99

da_q-ban_one

Seaman Apprentice

Thats a pretty good deal..

Although between the boat, floor boards, poles, gear, seat(s), launching wheels, motor, gas tank, pump, oars, some kind of shade and a passenger, i doubt i could fit in my car anymore... and the whole reason for getting an inflatable setup was for the convenience of not having to own a truck and have to pull a trailer.. those avons/zodiacs are nice but i think they would not be worth the hassle to try and fit it all in a car.. just way too big and bulky..

Now, an option would be to get a small utility trailer or jetski trailer and rig it up to have the boat and all the gear on it... freeing up valuable interior real estate. Plus it would be light enough to pull with pretty much any vehicle, provided u weld a hitch/towing rack onto it (but therein lies another expense that i decided to forgo, hence why i decided to go with the M4 set up...)

It truly is the best bang for ur buck for those of us who cant afford the cost, space and upkeep of a fullsize boat. Plus it is nice to have the versatility of being able to launch from anywhere.. a luxury that many boat owners do not share w/ us..

G

Although between the boat, floor boards, poles, gear, seat(s), launching wheels, motor, gas tank, pump, oars, some kind of shade and a passenger, i doubt i could fit in my car anymore... and the whole reason for getting an inflatable setup was for the convenience of not having to own a truck and have to pull a trailer.. those avons/zodiacs are nice but i think they would not be worth the hassle to try and fit it all in a car.. just way too big and bulky..

Now, an option would be to get a small utility trailer or jetski trailer and rig it up to have the boat and all the gear on it... freeing up valuable interior real estate. Plus it would be light enough to pull with pretty much any vehicle, provided u weld a hitch/towing rack onto it (but therein lies another expense that i decided to forgo, hence why i decided to go with the M4 set up...)

It truly is the best bang for ur buck for those of us who cant afford the cost, space and upkeep of a fullsize boat. Plus it is nice to have the versatility of being able to launch from anywhere.. a luxury that many boat owners do not share w/ us..

Smashed aka Boyan has an Audi sedan with the Saturn 430 I believe a 14ft boat with a 9hp engine that he fits in his car. Getting a smaller 9-10 ft Saturn with air floor would still do you justice. Rid holders are screwed onto transom and fold just as good as without them. All you need is a small bucket or bag to keep fish, rod holders and a tacks box. If you want to be away from the sun mount one of patio umbrellas to the transom. The only other things would be outboard. Small 3Gl tank and transom wheels. Maybe electric pump. I said this 3 times already and I will say again. If I had a bunch of lakes around me I would be in an m4 unfortunately I only have the bay with strong current and large wake from bigger boats. Tell you the truth even at 12mph winds we don't dare to go out. On a lake I would be out at 16mph winds.

mznewman

Seaman

All valid points. I feel the same way. Although I have an SUV and the boat, floor, motor, battery, and seats all fit while still leaving the back seat open for passengers... I will sometimes use my trailer-hitch-cargo-carrier ($89). Super light and it carries All of the boat gear, leaving 100% of the car free. My bins from Home Depot stack very nicely with everything tied down using 4 ratchet straps.
trailer-hitch-cargo-carrier.jpg
1.25" or 2" hitch adapter is supported and my model is rated to hold up to 600lb. And I've seen mods for these carriers too. When not in use, it just hangs on my wall in the garage.
onthewall.jpg