Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Oh, That's right I remember now. Yep! Makes perfect sense! Go big or go home! Are you going with plain cast iron rings? They are quite forgiving of minor imperfections. Chrome or molly rings might be troublesome.

Cheers.....................Todd

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Good point I hadn't thought about that yet. I am waiting to get the all clear on the block before I buy pistons and rings. The piston selection is pretty limited to either reproduction stock gm or mercruiser units. The GM slugs only get 7.5 ish compression (depending on head combustion chamber of course, limited there to), but the Mercruiser pistons are closer to 8.5 to 1. Not great but better than the GM style pistons. The guy who is doing my head has a line of custom forged pistons that can be a little over 9.5 to 1 depending on the head. Basically a zero deck design, no dish in the top of the piston. However he only sells them in 40 over, since I am 60 over that isn't an option. He also gets 600$ a set, ouch! But he is the only game in town on the forged pistons!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
For some good news, the machine shop called and the block didn't have any cracks. It is also hot tanked and has the new cam bearings installed. So hopefully I can pick that up tomorrow. I also ordered the pistons, rings and misc tonight. So more money sucking out of my wallet lol! Hopefully in a week or so things will start going back together. I went with plasma moly rings. I looked at the application chart and the basic ductile iron were for low rmp on vehicles on paved roads. The ones I went with were recommended for higher rpm under contentious load, which sounds like a boat motor to me. I am not an engine builder, so I guess we will see what happens lol! Haven't heard much on the head other than they are working on it. Hopefully I will get that back in the next week or two. I'd like to get it back in next month and start tying up a bunch of the loose ends before summer kicks off at the end of May.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
did you let them know about what rings you were using, that matters for the hone , plasma moly rings use a finer hone if i recall

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi. looking at your fine photos. looks great. Where did you procure those rear seat top hinges.?

Thanks Appleo

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks appelo! Sorry I don't recall where I got them, but you can search marine offset hinges and find them I am sure.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I made a little progress today, and picked up the block from the machine shop. I also had some odds and ends come in today. Pistons should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I can drop them off at the machine shop. I am guessing I wont get them back till next week but I am going to start istalling things like the oil pump and cam this weekend. I also need to get things like the valve cover and oil pan cleaned up and ready to install / paint.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Well the pistons showed up today, so back to the machine shop tomorrow to have them put on the rods. After that assembly can start!

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Woohoo! Won't be long now! Can't wait to see it back together!

Cheers...............Todd

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Micky that is funny lol! Sea15horse I am ready, but I would guess it won't be a speed rebuild, you know how I am lolo! Chevy I am looking forward to see how the performance improves with the cam and head work. I suspect it will be money well spent, and they are super reliable engines. Nice to see you back Mike!

chevymaher

Commander
Its ok to hold piston in each hand and go up and down while making that bloop bloop bloop
sound ....

In my circle here in hayseed USA we hold the parts and say Vroom Vroom and smile.

I think you will be very happy with this motor. I think your gonna gain some MPH and Vroom Vroom.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I should Chevy. The guy doing the head emailed tonight and said he thought he would be done end of next week. I dropped the piston, pins and rods off at the machine shop today. Should have them back on Monday or Tuesday next week. I thought about doing it myself, but for 40$ I'll let them do it and I'll work on other stuff this weekend. I need to move the block and rotating assembly parts out of the hanger to the smaller shop. Its just easier to heat and I don't need 2200 sf to assemble an engine lol! I have one last part I need to make for my parts washer before it is up and running. I will probably do that tomorrow night and move all the parts Saturday before it starts to rain. I think this weekend will be mostly cleaning and organizing things, maybe a bit of assembly, we will see how it goes.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Quick update. I spent the morning organizing and cleaning up the small shop. Then moved all of the engine components from the hanger to the smaller shop and laid everything out. I spent a few minutes this evening polishing one of the the crank journals with a micro-fiber cloth and a metal polish....who's name escapes me at the moment. It is for chrome, brass etc. Anyhow, I came across a you tube video of a guy using the technique. seems to work nicely and doesn't remove any metal, super fine abrasive, just cleans things up. I will post some pics tomorrow.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't wanna hear about polish in a can! I wanna see assembly lube drizzled! :smile:

Sounds like you're getting close to start bolting the motor together with a clean spot on the bench.