Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Yes sir, I haven't ordered that one. its on my list, I just had the brass ones since i realized the ones in the block were steel before the hydro-lock incident occured. i noticed that when i pulled it for the hydraulic repairs.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Just ordered some engine parts......I feel lighter for some reason......oh yeah its all that heavy cash I was lugging around :D By the way, WHY didn't Mercury make that intake out of aluminum? Its kind of crazy that the manifold weighs 100# when the head only weighs 60# lol! The UPS guy is going to hate me before this is over!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
wish they made all the risers out of alum, boats don't need the extra weight of the cast iron

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I also got these on Wednesday

20200112_090738 (002).jpg
Hopefully tomorrow I get some parts headed this way and set up shipping my head out to be built. The guy I am working with was on vacation last week, I'm glad he is getting back....I am getting antsy lol!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Lol, I just changed the oil before I hydrolocked it....put in $50 worth of Amsoil.....got used about 10 seconds of run time then drained out!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
After playing phone tag, I had a chance to talk with they guy who is going to do my head today. We worked out scope of work and shipping on that. I also went through my list with him and sorted out what he can provide. I need to identify what cam bearings I have, apparently there are two styles depending on the when the block was built. Once I do that this weekend i am going to send him my parts list and ship the head off Monday. Once I get the cam bearings, the block is off to the machine shop for hot tanking, Magnafluxing and having the new bearings installed. After that I will get to start putting it back together!

chevymaher

Commander
Just FYI there was on the facebook boat deal. Straight 6's the front head bolt likes to crack the block so be careful. They were saying it helps to have the water pump on when you torque it.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
thanks Chevy, the inline's are new to me so I am always looking for tips! Small blocks I know.....these of course have their own little quirks! Tom, the guy I am working with, you can quickly tell he is an encyclopedia of information on them......do they still make encyclopedia's?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Pulled the valves today to get the head casting ready to ship off.......

20200118_134729 (002).jpg
I'm pretty sure the exhaust valves shouldn't have rust on them lol!

Attachments

• 20200118_134735 (002).jpg
    20200118_134735 (002).jpg
    646.3 KB · Views: 1

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Nice to see you back Zool! No it was a pinhole in the intake / exhaust manifold between the water jacket and exhaust chamber. I have a used inline 6 manifold for sale cheap if you need it....a little JB weld and it will be good as new :D. Fuggly is starting to make Miss Morgan look like a budget build, lol. I am pretty sure I am going to have over 3K in this between the engine and manifold. Manifold and related goodies were right under $900. Granted I am going a bit above and beyond on the head work, but it should be worth it.