Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
So not in a super duper mood right now. Fired up Fuggly for the first time this year and lets just say we have developed what I will call an unhappy rod knock noise.........guess we will all figure out how to build a hot-rod inline 6 Chevy this winter.....:facepalm::mad2::frusty::frusty:

Sigh......

ls3 swap!

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
So AB have you been able to verify that it is a rod knock for sure? Kill each cylinder one at a time when the noise is present. If it's a rod it will go away when you kill the offending cylinder. If it's a wrist pin the cadence will double. If no change on any cylinder then it's not likely to be a rod. I had one once that I would have sworn was a rod knock. But killing cylinders made no difference. It turned out to have a piece of carbon stuck in the quench area between the head and piston. A pint of water slowly poored in the carburetor intake (not enough to kill it but almost) cleared it right up.

I'd definitely want to verify what cylinder it is in any case so that I'd know where to look.

If worse comes to worse I'd have to go with Mick on this one. LS3 swap Baby!

Cheers...............Todd

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Hey guys thanks for all the thoughts. I have thought about the LS.....then thought about the 50 year old drive imploding lol!

I really just want her to run strong and reliably. 4.3 was my original plan willy then the inline 6 came along. I really don't want to get into the brain damage of new engine mounts, plumbing etc. And the inline 6 chevys have been hot roded for decades. There are a ton of speed parts for them. Comp cams offers a lots of cams, lifters, springs, rockers etc for them. There are also Lump port head kits and other mods you can do to them. I really think I am going to rebuild it, put a cam, maybe a lump port head and some slightly domed pistons to get some good usable low end power. These were know for low end torque and realistically that is what you need for something like this hull. And it is 250CID, getting more that 165hp out if it shouldn't be that hard.

I'm going to keep Miss Morgan for the screaming high rpm, hold on to the you know what handle! Speaking of which I fired her up to get her ready for vacation today, nothing like the smell of two stroke oil! and that oh so crisp throttle!

I also got my oil filter can opener from Jeggs today. Worked extremely well, I just wish there weren't "sparkles" in the bottom of the filter and in the filter media.
20190715_140730.jpg

Thanks for the info Todd, but I think at this point with all the bearing material floating around in the oil filter, I am just going to pull it. I'm about 99% sure that I am not lucky enough for all that noise to just be carbon.....wish it was! Once I get it it out I will pull the pan and see which one of the internal parts wiggles around that isn't supposed to wiggle!

Place head against wall, bash until boat functions correctly lol!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
An by the way I was impressed with the Wix oil filter, very well made, solid construction and a lot of filter media. I have seen the inside of a Fram before, not quite the same thing lol!

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Oops! Yeah that's not good!

Yeah I/We only use Wix at the shop where I work. Fram filters are junk!

Cheers..............Todd

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Washing and waxing Miss Morgan really, really ticked Fugly off seeing the bearings in the filter. :blue:

If you're gonna go Hot Rod, look for 292 with a front motor mount. 40 more cubes and more grunt than the 250 right off the bat.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I might GA, sort of depends on what we find inside the engine. If we can rebuild it I will probably stick with the 250. If not I will see if I can find the larger displacement model.

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Rebuilding sounds like a project for sure, guess you will be busy for a while to come. Would suck to have to replace the engine as I am sure that would make for a few months of work more than the rebuild.

I do like others idea of a bigger engine though, can never have enough horses.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
i love me some good engine work (building them up). sucks you found main bearing/lifter shrapnel in the oil filter.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Yeah it will be a winter project, not to excited about it, but that is the way it goes! But it will get there one way or another!

zool

Captain
Im sure which ever way you end up having to go, it will be running like a clock by next season......A fresh engine for a restored boat aint a bad thing.

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey arch. I came across your YouTube post on the fuggly restoration and thoroughly enjoyed what I saw. I really like the honest, no frills, drama free approach. It's actually possible to learn something from your posts. My only problem is that I couldn't find all the posts. There were a few, but there were gaps in the sequence, with episodes missing, or am I missing something? And the posts stopped just after the floor install. Is there a link somewhere to all episodes? Can you point me in the right direction please? Thanks again for a very enjoyable post.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the complements! I just got busy with the boat and didn't have time to edit them......then the hard drive they were on crashed. I did manage to get it recovered this summer. I just need to make time to edit and upload them. I will try to get started on that in the next few weeks. Thanks again!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
So we start a new chapter in the saga of Fuggly......she is difficult for sure! I hope everyone has had a great summer and fall. I had a lot of outside chores that needed completed this fall. I have biggest one done, rebuilding my gate and entry way from the damage the out of control car caused this spring. There are a few odds and end, but I am rewarding myself by getting back to Fuggly tomorrow.

I want to get the engine pulled and fluids drained. Getting the oil filter cut open is also high on the list. I don't think I will start the tear down, I need to spend the balance of the weekend finishing up the outside chores while it is warm. But getting things going and sorting this out will be a nice change of pace. I have resigned myself that the engine is total scrap, so anything better than that is a win! I have also been looking into some work you can do on the heads of these inline Chevy's. You can actually get some good power out of them, which I already knew...but never really researched. I don't want anything out of control, but why not get a few more ponies while I am at it? I think part of me hopes the block is junk, that would be an excellent excuse to go from the 250 to the 300 :D The 300 is taller so that would entail figureing out how to get the carb to fit under the engine cover.....so reverse cowl scoop cut into the dog house.....OK it could get out of control lol! But I do have all winter to figure it out!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Correction, 292, not 300.......L6 guys would get hives on stovebolt.com if I posted that there.....V8s I know, L6 will be a learning curve!