Deck coating / Turned complete restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Hello everyone I have a ?
I bought this boat this past summer and I can not stand the coating on the deck I believe it was brushed on,you can see the brush marks. I plan on sanding it down and coating it with something else recommendations would be appreciated
043.jpg042.jpg045.jpg044.jpg

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Deck coating

Being a center console.....that texture is for traction and is intentional. I guess you can sand it and paint it however...... I see ALLOT of work in your future

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

I understand the need for texture I just do not like the looks of the product the last person used. I was hoping to hoping to find a better looking product that is still non slip

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm getting ready to apply Interlux interdeck here in the next couple of days. I've never used it but heard good things. You can Google image to see what it looks like. Perhaps a textured nonskid will save you quite a bit of finish sanding.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

Thats good to hear post some pictures when your done if you don't mind

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

Hello jc55 I just found your thread. I am following it so no need to post pics thanks for the reply with everything you have going on

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks jigngrub that looks like a easy product to work with. Have you ever tried it

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Thanks jigngrub that looks like a easy product to work with. Have you ever tried it

No I haven't, but I'm thinking about painting an old truck I have with it.

jc55

I have some nonskid pics up almincha. (You in Ohio?)

Jigngrub, that's the stuff you suggested for my floor. Any thoughts on the Durabak vs Interdeck?

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks jigngrub for the replies .
Yes jc I'm up toward Cleveland I'll ck out your pics

jbcurt00

Staff member

Durabak has been used in a few resto's. Of note are:
[h=1]Project log : Runabout to Fishing machine[/h]Jay (Friscoboater) used it on 1 of his resto's:

Looky what was waiting for me when I got home. I cannot wait until tomorrow.

DSC09750.jpg

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I used Durabak on my boat and I have mixed feelings about it. I'll try to get out to the garage with a camera so I can show how it's holding up after a year.

pauloman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

try rough coat epoxy (epoxyproducts.com) - tan epoxy with fine grit in it. Grit is fine enough for bare feet. Roll on two coats =- no brush marks. If you don't want the tan color then topcoat with a thin enamel

Paul Oman - MS. MBA
A.K.A. “Professor E. Poxy”
Internet Epoxy Confederation (IEC) EPOXY HOMEPAGE
epoxies since 1994
Member: NACE (National Assoc. of Corrosion Engineers) -- SSPC (Soc. of Protective Coatings)

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

JASinIL2006 I will be looking forward to your pictures .
pauloman I will ck that out thanks

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Here are some pics of the problems I've got with Durabak on my boat floor. (Full coverage of the installation is in my resto thread linked to in my signature.)

Some of the Durabak peeled off the base of the seat pedestal. I suppose this could be a problem with my prep before applying the Durabak, but I was pretty meticulous in following their directions.

pedestal rev.jpg

The Durabak isn't quite as tough as I thought it would be. Here's a picture of where the ski locker lid is cutting into the Durabak.

locker 2 rev.jpg

Another odd thing was that the Durabak and a dense foam-rubber floor mat (used for cushioning at the driver's station) fused together. In some places, I couldn't get the mat to separate from Durabak; where the ski locker lid sat on the mat, this was especially bad, to the point that some of the Durabak was actually pulled up when I tried to remove the mat. Just like in the picture, there is black rubber stuck to the Durabak in an number of places.

locker rev.jpg

Overall, the Durabak is pretty comfortable and it's a fairly good non-skid surface. It does hold dirt, though, as you can see in a couple of the pictures above. (Granted, the floor needs cleaning, but even after washing and scrubbing, it doesn't get very clean.) I used a coat of smooth Durabak over the textured to help make it easier to clean, but I'm wondering if I needed another coat or two of smooth Durabak to make it easier to clean. Not sure what the extra smooth coats would have done to the non-skid properties, though...

If I had to do it over, I don't think I'd use Durabak. I'd more likely go with gelcoat and use snap-in carpet or maybe something like SeaDek or HydroTurf.

Hope this helps!

Jim

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

What is the general consensuses on gel coat, best way to get non skid using gel spray roll
Also I believe the coating on the boat is painted not sure ha material is will I have a issue going over existing material Sanded of coarse

jc55

Beautiful boat, but it does indeed look like brushed on house paint? I can see the tape line above the rub rail. Unfortunately, whatever has been applied will need to be removed before even considering gelcoat.

If it were me, total opinion, I would test the material with lacquer thinner, hot dish soap, a scraper, etc to see what you have, how thick etc. Sand down or chemically strip as much as possible if it's a junk paint. You'd have to get down to the original substrate to gelcoat.

If you epoxy prime and paint, same thing. Epoxy primers are a little more forgiving in the adhesion department but that current paint will always be the weak link.

What exactly are you going for? Is there a dollar or labor hour limit? Fastest would be to sand, prime, paint pertinent areas, and tape off some wicked non skid sections right over the epoxy primer. Gotta know the plan so we can help :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

To find out if it's painted, soak a rag with some acetone and lay it on the deck. after about 15 mins remove the rag. If it's paint it will be soft and peeling and easily scraped off. If it's Gelcoat it will not be affected. You can Roll your Gelcoat and get a pretty good texture pattern with a heavy nap roller or they actually make texture imprint mats you can use to imprint texture into the gel. They also make a non skid additive for it as well.

http://www.bottompaintstore.com/nonskid-additive-for-gelcoat-p-10376.html

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

jc55 thank you as there are always limits he boat is solid and runs great so I feel its worth fixing up and doing it right. I took the boat to weigh scale and weighed the boat and according to what boat is suppose to weigh its off about 80lbs. So I am assuming the foam is fairly dry. I know what happens when we assume
So based on all this I feel comfortable putting some money in it and i rather do it right the first time

Woodonglass Thanks for the reply I will try that tomorrow and i'll ck out that link. When rolling how smooth does the gel coat come out

Status
Not open for further replies.