1978 Sea Nymph SS160 resto

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1978 Sea Nymph SS160 resto

First base coat on tonight, 1 quart Rustoleum Top side sand beige.

IMAG0354.jpg

I love that HVLP spray gun, until that is when it had built up a load of paint on the nozzle and barfed it on the last foot of boat I had to paint.

The picture came out looking lighter than what the can shows.

207003.jpg

I wonder why they call it Topside Paint?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Really? Not sure what you mean grub.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I think you may have used TOPSIDE paint below the waterline.........

The Rusto tech sheets list it as ABOVE the waterline paint only.....

I, like a few others, missed that it was Topside paint when you posted the 1st coat pix earlier (post #87, which Jig quoted...)

Watermann

Oh I see, negative feed back...

I don't think I've ever seen a thread where someone has painted topside and then anti-fouling bottom paint on a fresh water boat that isn't moored. I don't believe I've ever seen an aluminum fishing boat maker do that either?

Here's one last look at her before she slips under the waves as the bottom wants to be the topside!

y4mdWEIOd-oCKEg0mwCRjIASawcA5fCWJmalwgh0kza-guvErQgAmdYEZbEcLJ5aN4XuMF7c6eSOQ8o_UY293sqsL8alHPg4uAmf-seaHa5YjRnKqVCMUxSiYpIRv29BtuE-jrDueBZoJa5K_Qaujmq7yoGqf2yFonhnenepsRJ0qFL1rJJ0-LDoKeljiYKRKQ1oRFxaa70XiTW5MP4cpqtrw

Jeez I've read threads where guys rattle can their boats and not take heat for it. This is a good read about bottom paint... Do I need bottom paint for my boat? What is the difference in hard bottom paint and ablative bottom paint?

Last edited:

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

H20,

Top notch !!!

This has been a lot of fun watching your progress. What more can you ask for,

Pics of Columbia river, snow capped mountains both framed by your boat.

Wonderful forecast

Smallies ready to tear up some bait

Boat on trailer right side up, with very cool paint job

and an ice cold german beer at your command.

Thanks for sharing.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Paint turned out great. love the black accent stripe. I'm not a paint pro, but I think you are prolly "A okay" on the paint. I think they call all marine paints that aren't anti-fouling/bottom paint, topside. I could also be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), or at least making an over-generalization (likely), but I think some bottom paints can be a no-no on Tin boats because of chemicals in it that can cause corrosion... So I think the options are leave it bare or use a regular top side paint...in any event, most of this is a non-issue (so hopefully this won't turn into an argument) since you are trailering the boat....

So, job well done... Carry on and keep it up!

Watermann

Paint turned out great. love the black accent stripe. I'm not a paint pro, but I think you are prolly "A okay" on the paint. I think they call all marine paints that aren't anti-fouling/bottom paint, topside. I could also be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), or at least making an over-generalization (likely), but I think some bottom paints can be a no-no on Tin boats because of chemicals in it that can cause corrosion... So I think the options are leave it bare or use a regular top side paint...in any event, most of this is a non-issue (so hopefully this won't turn into an argument) since you are trailering the boat....

So, job well done... Carry on and keep it up!

Thanks for the input and compliment on the paint and your right it is a non issue now. The pictures are funny, the accent stripe is actually a very dark brown and the main paint shows up lighter than it actually looks if that makes any sense at all. The seats are sand with brown, the transom is brown as are the console pieces. So they all tie into one another.

Watermann

Whoo Hoo!!!!

Hey what do you guys know, this new recruit is my resto buddy. Welcome aboard! Now we need to get you thinking about restoring that Smoker craft magnum of yours.

Watermann

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement SG, I can't wait to see your SN come together..

After getting the boat on the trailer today we adjusted the front rollers to get them off the chines and installed a new keel roller to help support the bow weight. Got the transom installed, tubes, eyes, cap and thru the hull fittings. I also decided to use up the rest of the gluvit on bottom rivets just in case.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Can topside paints be applied to below water surfaces? | Interlux

I'd say your safe, but pshhh what does Interlux know compared to JNG :lol:

I found this first paragraph on the back of the Topside paint can interesting, it was the very first paragraph at the top of the can above the directions.
Rust-Oleum Marine Coatings Topside Paint is an oil-based modified alkyd.
This easy to apply coating provides long-lasting protection and a brilliant
glossy finish on fiberglass, wood or metal.Use above the waterline only.

... but hey, what does Rustoleum know... they only make the paint.

Oh I see, negative feed back...

I don't think I've ever seen a thread where someone has painted topside and then anti-fouling bottom paint on a fresh water boat that isn't moored. I don't believe I've ever seen an aluminum fishing boat maker do that either?

Here's one last look at her before she slips under the waves as the bottom wants to be the topside!

IMAG0362.jpg

Jeez I've read threads where guys rattle can their boats and not take heat for it. This is a good read about bottom paint... Do I need bottom paint for my boat? What is the difference in hard bottom paint and ablative bottom paint?

It's your boat and you can paint it with crayons and magic markers if you want... but choosing the right paint for the right application is a longevity/durability thing.

Sure, you can use Topside paint below the water line... but don't expect it to last as long as a paint designed to be used below the water line.

Don't get me wrong, your boat looks fantastic and I hope it stays that way for a long time... but...

btw, I hope that fresh paint doesn't stick to your trailer bunks with the boat being put back on the trailer so soon after painting.

wilkiepup

Cadet

Probably some valid points made but all I want to say is the paint job makes your boat look better than brand new and I love the color scheme. Us women care about those things ya' know. Maybe some day ours will get some love like yours did. Sail on!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Since you are trailering the boat, I doubt it will make much difference that it's topside paint on the hull bottom..........

It did turn out looking great BTW.

If you go to Rusto's website & look up MSDS & TDS for Marine Topside paint & the Professional paint (that many have used on their hulls), and compare the same color (I used Gloss White) the TDS for Topside says NOT for below the water line. The TDS for the Pro has NOT recommended for water immersion. If you read the MSDS for both, the Topside, (in Section 9: Chemical Properties) under Solublity in water, is listed as SLIGHTLY, the Pro is listed as NONE.

If you were to call Rusto & ask, I suspect that NEITHER is recommended by them for water immersion on a hull. Although WOG has done a ton of leg work & research, I suspect if you call the Magic paint he recommends for either glass or aluminum hulls, and were to ask them about using it on a boat hull, they'd say it isn't recommended for either or for water immersion as well.

The Valspar Implement paint that used to be available at Tractor Supply & was his recommended low cost boat paint, wasn't recommended for boats either. I did call & speak to their tech line about finding a supplier close to me, the local TSR didn't carry many choices & were difficult to deal w/ trying to order it. For fear of liability, the tech strongly recommended against using their products on a boat hull, and didn't want to send me a color chart if I was painting a boat.

There are boat, marine & hull specific paints available in the market place, we all pretty much know that. It is usually expensive, so many of us pick something else.

You choose Rusto Topside paint, did a great job prepping the hull & shooting the paint, so if for no other reason, I again think it'll last a good long while, and look great for a good long while too....

Thanks for posting the prepping & painting steps, they'll likely help many aluminum hull restos....

I may have forgotten: Tell the Admiral she done good w/ the motor cowl decals.

Watermann

JnG, thanks for looking out for those off us who are less learned about such things and I do know why Rusto calls it Topside paint as well as their disclaimers about below the waterline, JBC above spells it out better than I could have. There is nothing in this world that water can't ruin or destroy if given enough time. The paint was dry (4 days) and not sticking to the ezloader rollers, besides it's the bottom and nobody will see it unless I run them down while their swimming... :D

Thanks for the compliments you guys, it does make me feel better about my work and drive me on in the restoration efforts. Oh and my "admiral" loves the compliments too!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks great! Unless you start getting into two part paints, which would obviously be more durable, I don't think you'll do much better than Rusto.

Watermann

Today is 2 months since I started the resto on my SN 2/1/13. Man time sure flies when your having fun and spending money. I have all of you here to thank for some of my motivation and success so far with your help as well as the great ideas.

Watermann

So I'm off and running, stub toe, fall down and yell "why me?"!!! After 35 years of stainless steel to the cast aluminum and something has to give right? So I guess now is better than later. My lower unit drain plug hole is missing half of it's threads all of a sudden, it seems they decided to just go away. No cross threaded goof job or over tightened screw, (at least by me) This is the 3rd thread monkey situation I have come across during the resto. I'm not going to half way fix it and hope she holds. Off to the stores to find 3/8" 16 TPI Helicoil and hope everything goes well on the thread repair.

I love to work on things but this isn't what I had in mind for the start of my 5 day weekend boat resto blitz.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Don't think of it as a delay to starting your resto blutz, think of it as an extra couple of hours cure for the paint...

Hope its warm & sunny and you can leave the SN basking in the sun while you install the heli coil in the drain plug....

Best of luck....