Love, Necessity and Pride

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Love, Necessity and Pride

Thanks for the holiday wishes...gang...

I hope all my friends on Iboats have had a wonderful, safe and enjoyable holiday...
God Bless you all!

Still not much going on in this build, but...
Been outa town and outa touch the last couple of days, but I got back yesterday and spent a little quality time on my buddy's boat...
Still have a few more things to take care of, but progress is being made...
If you are interested in taking a look...
http://forums.iboats.com/electrical...ken-cape-craft-bringing-back-life-633094.html

Holler soon...:D

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I have been "jonesing" to post but have been reluctant to until I actually pulled the proverbial trigger...
Finally went to Carmen's and the expanding foam...is in da house!
YIPPEE!!!:dance::whoo:

I was originally going to buy a full 5 Gallon Kit but two things convinced me to just get a 3 Gallon Kit for now...
1- Carmen didn't have a 5 gallon Kit in stock...
2- She offered that if I needed to purchase the other 2 Gallons, she would give them to me for what it would have cost me for the fiver kit...in other words, if I only end up finding enough space for the 3 gallons, I saved a over a Benjamin, and if I do find enough space for the other 2 gals. I still end up only paying what it would have cost to buy the 5 gal. kit...
How's that for customer satisfaction?
Cant wait to get it poured so I can really start :plane: through the next phase of this build...
My calculations show that I will need approximately 10-15 cubic feet to fill the voids between all the stringers.
That leaves me a good 10-20% fudge factor and enough for a couple more, as yet to be built, 3-5 cubic foot floatation boxes...

Got a few things left to take care of on my buddy's boat and then it's back to the "Bassassin"

Update and pics as soon as they are available!

Happy Saturday, indeed!:becky:

zool

Captain

Woohoo!!..that will get you over the hump.....there comes a point where you just can proceed anymore without "something"!

Looking forward to whats in store next :)

Trooper82

Commander

The foam is fun!

From my experience....make sure you have multiple holes...both for venting and confirming you got foam in all the nooks/crannys...

Have a FUN Saturday!

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Gus....is Carmen a "company" or a "friend" with connections? She seems to be the type of person that is easy to deal with and I don't remember if you ever mentioned previously if there was a website. Looking forward to the foaming.

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Cool GT looking forward to it!!! Hope the weather folks comply with the 80, 85 degrees. Let foam fest 2013 begin!!:horn::thumb:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Daniel, sent you a PM...
Family matters are going to be prevalent this weekend, but I have already contracted my awesome assistant, Gabriel, for a serious foaming session next Saturday...
Till then, Happy boat fun, y'all!:D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Aww man ! Ya mean we gotta wait a whole week ta see some foamin action going on .... :dispirited:
Oh well family is definitely first ! :)

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Be sure to fire up the go pro for the foaming, I've never seen anyone fire off that 2 part foam before. So does that stuff really cost fitty a gallon? :confused:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Expanding foam usually costs around $10 a cubic foot. A 18ft boat will run about $400-$500 to foam, depending on the depth of the stringers, fuel tank size, ski locker etc..

Decker83

Commander

Great news on the foam GT1M.. Hope the weather holds up for the foam party..:D

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Be sure to fire up the go pro for the foaming, I've never seen anyone fire off that 2 part foam before.

I will definitely do some documenting...
BTW, if you can't wait till next week to see some foaming action...here is a link to one of "friscojarretts" YouTube vids where he documents pouring foam in his Carlson...

Project Carlson CVX-18 - Tabbing and Foaming the Deck - YouTube

So does that stuff really cost fitty a gallon? :confused:
I have seen prices vary from about 67.00+S&H to around 100.00+S&H, per 2 gallon kit, which is advertised to yield 8 cu.ft

Even if I had ordered it from US Composites, which is technically an hour and a half drive, North of me, it would still have cost me $6.00 extra, compared to my local supplier, to have a Five KIT [10 gallons] shipped to my door because of two reasons...
1-shipping costs and...
2-US Composites has an agreement with local vendors that does not allow them to have any local, walk up sales...
Not to mention, that if end up only having room for 3 kits, instead of 5, I would have spent money to very possibly have a bunch of product go bad...
Plus, I feel good about supporting a local small business who has treated me so very well since I began this endeavor...
AND, the foam I am getting from my supplier is supposed to yield 10 cu.ft. per kit.
The U.S.C. foam, and others, are advertised to give 8 cu.ft. per Kit.

Keep in mind that those are ideal yield amounts under ideal conditions. Those yields will vary depending on temps and humidity when pouring. If it is less than 75? the yield begins to diminish and up to about 90-95? the yield will be equivalent to the advertised amounts. Above 95? it may yield a larger surface area while sacrificing some of its compressible strength.

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Gus, thanks for the PM. I completely agree with IBoats policy forum. I pretty much make it a point to check out their store first whenever I am looking for anything. I have spent quite a few bucks with them in the past when I rebuilt the Merc. Outboard. Prices are always fair and competitive, but the service and professionalizm are top notch which is something I can't say about most of their competitors. Without their support of this forum a lot of us would be up the creek without a boat. And anyone that spends as much time here as I do...should definitely visit the Iboats Store first. Now get to foaming.
Dan

Decker83

Commander

Stopping by to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas..

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

May the Good Lord keep all of his children safe and may His Love be felt throughout the World, always.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Family matters are going to be prevalent this weekend, but I have already contracted my awesome assistant, Gabriel, for a serious foaming session next Saturday...
Till then, Happy boat fun, y'all!
I quoted myself just to make changes to the above statement...

Work matters have been prevalent these past couple of weeks and Gabriel, too, had to fertilize his greenbacks tree at his place of employment, so until further notice...foaming the "Bassassin" is on hold...

I am pleased to report that the greenbacks bush is receiving plenty of fertilizer, sunshine, water and care, but the hours required have been taking a serious toll on making free time quite unavailable...

The only thing I have had a chance to do is play around with a little color...
Thinking Black swoop, heavy on the metal flake
greasy_blk_sf_sampl.jpg

with a Grey or White dividing stripe...

Mrs.Santa must have thought I was pretty good this past year, cause I was seriously surprised when I found this really neat addition to the new goodies stash for the "Bassassin"...

Don't get too excited...the following screen shot is just a built in simulation that comes loaded in the unit...

Hope everyone of my Iboats Friends have had Wonderful and Blessed Christmas.
God Bless you all!
Till next time, Happy boat fun, y'all!:D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Very nice Gus, must have been on santa's good list for sure !!
Merry Christmas to you and yours !!!!

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Gus, just checking in on you my friend... I've seen you post here and there, but was curious about your build...

Hope life is treating you well.

Take good care,

rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.