1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

ohh, also, I forgot to add what I used to thin it that first time around: Pettit, 120, T-10 brushing thinner

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Do you guys think that rolling extra to get rid of the air bubbles has an effect??? Pettit says to roll then immediately tip. What I did with the bottom and the top so far was roll on the paint 4-6 rolls, and then continue to roll 10-15 times to get rid of the bubbles instead of tipping with a brush.

That may have an effect because I may be putting the paint on to thin as the roller will soak up the paint?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You'll find that instead of the extra 10-15 you're doing....one really fast one will really knock em down. I think it pops em but is too fast to pull any more up.

seamorewaterVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey mick looking good pimples and all wet sanding does two things it prevents build up on the paper and keeps the dust from causing deeper scratches. usually wet sanding is used in the 600 to 1500 grit paper leading up to polishing. since you are going to over lay I would hit it with the 320 untill smooth and the recoat w/o the 12-15 xtra rolls coat it the tip it with a brush or fast rolller. ask the mfg about thinning for temps. it was colder when you did the bottom.

oh and the 320 should still give you enough tooth for the paint to bite.

Donkey

Seaman Apprentice

So Mick, when I rolled the same paint in red, I would put it on thick with the superfine foam roller. When the bubbles would show up, I would go back over rolling very, very lightly and that would pop the bubbles and smooth the coat. Try applying with different amounts of pressure on the roller and more paint. It worked out great for me and looks top notch. I ended up with four coats unthinned.

micks110

Thanks for all the reply's and advice guys- it's much appreciated!

Today I picked up some 220 grit paper and sanded smooth the areas in the front where there was orange peel. She is smooth as a babies but again:p I went through 4 pieces of paper in the process. I learned that you gum up the fine paper pretty quick- I guess that's the difference between dry sanding and wet sanding:eek:

I'm looking at the second coat of paint tomorrow night or Friday night. Both nights are supposed to be in the 50's(similar to when I painted the bottom). There is a chance of rain and thunder storms tomorrow though so if that's the case I may wait until Friday so there's no moisture in the air. I'll have a better idea tomorrow;)

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i know how you feel about the temperature and the humidity....

all my resto work is being done outdoors...no garage :mad:

i can't rremember what the temp specs are for EasyPoxy, but brightsides likes to be done between 50-85 degrees...and max of 80% humidity...

that combination is pretty hard to come by here

micks110

Well last night was cool at about 65 degrees but rain was threatening and we were at about 90 percent humidity. So needless to say I didn't paint last night.

Tonight I will be putting on the 2nd coat even if it is humid. It is supposed to be in the 50's so even if it is still humid I will get the stove going and that will take care of that.

I will probably start around 8:30 or so and I will upload pics to photobucket along the way until I'm done.

micks110

The second coat of paint went down awesome! I'm stoked! I will be posting the pics and a video shortly:)

micks110

Well like I said in my previous post- the second coat went down great- a heckuva lot better than the first coat. I used the roller to roll on the paint and I only rolled it a couple times to cover the surface- in the past I would continue to roll until I got all the bubbles out. This time around I rolled and then tipped with a foam brush instead of a regular brush. In my opinion- this is the way to go. I think it lays the paint alot smoother and it doesn't get soaked up by continually rolling over it.

Here are the pics and I will post the video as soon as youtube does what it does(it's taking forever tonight).

d1da464a.jpg
[/IMG]
64b1ad49.jpg
[/IMG]
16396039.jpg
[/IMG]
4b6311d0.jpg
[/IMG]

And the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_lCTXF9fJw

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks grate, good to see you found what works for you.

tallcanadian

Captain

Looking good Mick. How many coats you putting on? The paint laid down very nice. Congrats.

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow Mick, looks great!! Taking notes!! Thanks.

Norm II

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks awsome Mick! I hope your top coat goes on just as smooth! Did you order a trailer?

micks110

Thanks guys! I just went out this morning to look again, and she is looking good:D

I am planning on a third and final coat. Pettit recommends 2 coats but I plan on some compound polish and buffing just to get it to really pop and be as smooth as possible. I'm afraid that if I compound after just 2 coats it may be to thin because after my first coat some of the areas that I sanded went back down to primer- so essentially in those areas I only have 1 coat. A 3rd and final coat will make me very happy with the job.

We have our kids birthday party tomorrow so hopefully I can get out sometime this afternoon for a light sanding and wipe down. That way she will be dried and ready for the final coat tonight:D

Then, like I said in the video I can move onto cleaning up the aluminum on the windshield, buying the lexan to make a new windshield, painting the engine cover, sand the floor and sides of the inside of boat, paint that, assemble the gauges, then DONE:D:D:D

micks110

Arch- my boat place has the 1200lbs trailer- it's just a matter of getting together the $800 for the trailer, tax and tags:eek:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I hear you....I had to break the piggy bank to pay the upholster! I still think a new trailer will save you $$ over a used one. I just got $300 worth of tires for mine, bet I have $1500 in it!

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

X2 on a new trailer. I bought a tandem for my jeep for 700. 4 new tires 185 mounted each, new wiring 60 for 2 kits, new brake magnets 60 for 2, new bearings for 1 axle 60. The prices are a round about from a year ago when I bought it all, and bought the stuff in a store because I needed them right away. I payed a little more for the convince of them on hand. It all adds up quick, my deal could have payed for a nice new 18' 7000 pound tandem with brakes on both axles for a bit more.