1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

Yeh I def going with the new trailer. I might save $100 on the old one but it's not even legal weight, and it's not worth the time I'd have to put into it. Plus, when I'm done with the boat I want to put it on the trailer and go!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I hear you, working on trailer on the side of the highway sucks! Does it come with bearing buddies? If not $30 that will save you from being on the side of the highway!

andgott

That looks OUTSTANDING.... Great results with that paint. I hope mine looks as nice!

I am glad that you explained those candles in the video- I was wondering if you were doing some kind of odd voodoo ritual or something...

Why do bugs love fresh glossy paint so much??

-Andrew

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Micks,

Looks GREAT!
My bathroom project is about done so I can get back on my boat. You and Arch are really making me antsy to get on it. I am soooooo far behind. I hope to get her splashed by the 4th of July but not sure if I'll make it. Your paint tips and video will no doubt be a Great help when the time comes.

Great Job!!

micks110

Thanks guys for the compliments. Much appreciated!

I just got out her to start now-like I said tomorrow is our kids bday party so I've been pretty busy today- the wife is cracking the whip!!! She's possed I came out here:)

So it's a little humidtonigjt compared to yesterday so I have a fire going to dry the air, the candles burning for the bugs, and a fan blowing to keep it cool. The **** you gotta go through to get it right- man!

Well I'm getting started- oh yeh I sanded with the scotch bright pad thong this afternoon and wiped her down with a cool towel. I just tack clothed her so I'm getting started now at 10:40. See you all in the morning:)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Sounds like you are getting after it! Just as I'm winding down, you always seem to be ramping things up!

micks110

Well the 3rd coat turned out great, I'm very happy right now! Now I get to look forward to getting ready for our kids birthday party tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to putting some polishing compound on the and buffing away to get it to really pop. How long do you guys think I should wait to go ahead and do some compound?

Well I started by sanding with a 3m pad today and cleaning her up.
70845069.jpg
[/IMG]

Tonight I started paint around 10:30 and finished at about 12:30. It was a little more humid tonight and it seemed like the paint got tacky a little quicker than last night. Other than having to work a little quicker everything went great.

Here is a quick video I did on my roll and tip method with the foam brush. It is a little hard to hear because I had the music going in the background- some International Harvester! I basically roll the paint on to full coverage somewhat thicker than I have in the past. Then I use the foam brush very lightly to knock down the bubbles. I had to work quick because the paint seemed be setting up fairly fast tonight. Why do bugs like to kill themselves by flying into wet paints!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2R9YuvMyLQ

And here is the finished product that I am very happy with.
100_1406.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1408.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1409.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1407.jpg
[/IMG]

And with the skirt off!
100_1410.jpg
[/IMG]

Arch- I do my best work after midnight!!! Unfortunately the wife has the clamps on and I can't get out until the kids are to bed. She has been great letting me do this- I actually can't remember the last time we sat down and watched tv together- wow, that sounds bad.

Goodnight!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks really sweet Mick! That is the good thing about spraying, the bugs don't have a sot at getting even close to the paint.....the over spray acts like a fogger! :D I bet you can buff out any corpses :eek:. Just be careful not to burn it! What are you planning on doing next?

andgott

Looks GREAT- It already has a great shine to it, and I'll bet when you get it buffed out it'll look even better!!

What kind of rollers did you use?

-Andrew

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

SWEET! That's how I did the Texas Maid...roll and tip with disposable foam brushes (lots of em). I only did two coats with no sanding in between...sometimes wish I had been as thorough as you, her top coat is not as smooth as yours. After you let the paint cure, buff and wax it out before you put the cap back on, it'll be easier to do that way. Looking forward to seeing more pix as you progress.

micks110

Hanks guys! I looked at her this morning and man I'm happy! I wad planning on using my orbital car buffer but I think hand sanding will be the way to go- she is already real smooth.

Arch- my plan was to use a compound with a fine texture to it( the kind you use on cars) just to level and smooth it out a bit more. And then a couple coats of wax. I don't know what I'm going to do tonight??? Maybe start on the windshield frame or get the rubrail down from the rafters and start on that. I think with the rubrail I'm just going to sand her a bit and then prime and paint with spray cans. What brand do you guys think will hold up best?

Andrew- I used the 4" foam rollers from lowes. They sell a commercial pack of them with I think 16 of them. I have 5 left after the top and bottom. The foam brushes I just picked up at ace. I used 3 on the top- one for each coat.

TM- the top is already on the boat:) after seeing arch's miss Morgan and the job he did it motivated me to take my time and do it right in between coats. I would have gone with 2 coats instead of 3 but if you remember after the first coat I sanded back down to primer in some spots up front so I just sucked it up and went with a third coat.

Thanks again guys for everyones help to this point:) The major work is done, now it's onto the details!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Mick, 3m makes some great rubbing compounds. That is what I used on Miss Morgan. PM me if you want the one I used.....it worked great. I have seen some of the auto parts store stuff that did more damage than good. Carnuba paste wax works good for a finish. My paint guys say, "if it goes on easy, it comes off easy".

micks110

Hey guys. I'm working on the aluminum rubrail.

I have two quick questions:

1- What should I use to prime it? Any special primer for aluminum?

2- How many days should I let the paint sit before I can compound buff it?

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Mick,
Can't help much on your questions but I just wanted to say fantastic job my friend. She really looks sweet.
Great Job
Bob

mark1961

Ensign

Hey guys. I'm working on the aluminum rubrail.

I have two quick questions:

1- What should I use to prime it? Any special primer for aluminum?

Etch primer, i think you guys call it zinc chromate primer (?).

tallcanadian

Captain

Yes on the zinc chromate. Just make sure the aluminum is very clean. I had issues with my windshield and had to make sure all the crap was off it. I can't help you with the second question, are you talking about your boat or the rubrail? It would depend, I'm sure, on what kind of paint you use.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

let the paint fully cure for at least a week before you do any buffing to the finish...but be very careful, you can easily 'burn' through the clear.

micks110

Thanks guys. Zinc chromate for the aluminum.

TC- I'm talking about the boat paint and how long to let that cure before buffing.