Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Pettit Easypoxy

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project

I haven't had a chance to do any of these actual tests yet, but just thinking why would the fuel pump be bad if I drove it, picked it up a couple days later, then it just sat for a couple years? Could just be coincidental (it was about to go), but doesn't seem likely.:confused:

Because boats break when they sit. Not using it is the worst thing you can do for it.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

I used 3/4" exterior plywood, glued together with gorilla glue, then sealed with epoxy resin & painted with Rustoleum marine primer & topside paint.

Thanks for the info.

Also for your steering, how long was the teleflex cable, and would you go longer or shorter?

Rghammond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After reading about your trouble I am now sure I am buying a new motor for my jetstar. I read all the fixes and my eyes start clouding over, way beyond me. Good luck, man, I've got all the faith in the world in you.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

After reading about your trouble I am now sure I am buying a new motor for my jetstar. I read all the fixes and my eyes start clouding over, way beyond me. Good luck, man, I've got all the faith in the world in you.

A used motor that is still supported with parts, has good compression, and has been thoroughly gone over by a mechanic will serve you quite well. Outboards don't die, you have to kill them. I have every confidence that LL's Johnson just needs a little tune-up work and it'll be good to go.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

There is a guy selling a teleflex rack steering system in good cond with steering wheel and a 13ft cable that I have my eye on...

I think it might work, but there is a chance it may end up being to short...

lakelover

Rear Admiral

There is a guy selling a teleflex rack steering system in good cond with steering wheel and a 13ft cable that I have my eye on...

I think it might work, but there is a chance it may end up being to short...

Yes, I went with the 13'. If anything I found it just the slightest bit long, but I think 12' would have been too short. With the 13' there is plenty of "slack" or "sag" in the cable on its way to the stern.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Perfect!

Thank you :)

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Well, the courier job did not work out, so I'll be back at the boat soon. Don't feel bad for me, it just was a real bad fit once I got an up close and personal look at the operation. I expect I'll keep an eye out for something else as time goes by.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I hear there is a boat building job in your area. Project on the roster is a Starcraft Jet Star. Nearly complete actually. The pay is terrible, hours flexible, and the rewards are fantastic!:D

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I hear there is a boat building job in your area. Project on the roster is a Starcraft Jet Star. Nearly complete actually. The pay is terrible, hours flexible, and the rewards are fantastic!:D

Ha, good one! It's not a pretty picture at "work". I'm sure the boat will calm me down. Hey, I don't need this crap, I'm retired!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Too bad about the job, LL. But like you said - You're retired. So more time for things you want to do. I'm in the same boat as you. Retired a little over a year ago. Started to go stir-crazy. You just can't switch off like a light bulb. I was doing a fair amount of fishing with no boat and talked with the wife about getting a boat (well in this case I talked, she listened). So now got a SC to work on spending nickles and dimes and will be able to fish out of a boat again.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks GA, but like I said, no worries here. The not-working-out thing was really a two way street, bad fit for me and they wouldn't have been satisfied with my performance; and I didn't feel that they had given me a full picture of what would be involved, so in the end I thanked them and departed. No tears shed on my part.

Good luck with the fishing from a boat!

Rghammond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Funny how some work calms you down and some makes you crazy. Thank God for boats and workshops.
Ha, good one! It's not a pretty picture at "work". I'm sure the boat will calm me down. Hey, I don't need this crap, I'm retired!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Perhaps spray some pre-mix in the carb when it starts dying. If it picks back up you know you've got a fuel delivery problem. Also, if you try pumping the bulb when it's dying...if it picks up there then you know you've got a fuel pump issue.

Just wondering what you use to spray the premix in. And yes, it does recover when I pump the bulb. With both the stalling and no-oil issues, it would seem to point to the fuel pump. :(

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Just wondering what you use to spray the premix in.

LikfQjWyni7F2Uw11uoxagjhUJ55rEfmKTKJCI4nq3BGrmUKJiLO9QDmSOu4-fJe9_y11aRNE7obUNyLodHP07NMjLfJeAKZZXfjX1YgILye8TE8F5d7ruh8JpaxnpjXNp7AgJu_YF6VAbKH0gY0opIF_Q_OjNclnH56_pG89nYW-OcEwTgQl-Odo7NVwZ5IAPK2LFyH1A

Fuel pump rebuild kit should be fairly inexpensive.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

My die-cut vinyl registration numbers came today.

I got clued in to this guy on ebay by Jason in his thread & contacted him directly using the "Ask a Question" link. He does various boat graphics & numbers. I emailed him & asked some questions about registration numbers and he got right back to me, providing font choices and several color choices. After settling that, we did a deal directly & I paid him with Paypal.

It was $15 for two sets of numbers (free shipping) and they arrived in NY from California 4 days after I ordered them. A great guy to work with! Here's a link:

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/shabestari/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Definitely recommended!!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Yesterday I got the bilge pump wiring problem sorted out & now that works OK. I put on the STARCRAFT emblems (thanks, North Beach!!)...you can see why I need the new rubrail insert. Once I have that taken care of, I can fasten the corner caps back on. Later this afternoon if it warms up, I'll apply the registration numbers.

wDSC_5241.jpg

I guess that makes it officially a Starcraft again!:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Looking great lake!

Man, such a bummer on that rub rail.

I really think that ought to be black though if you can score some, eh? I think it would match that Johnson OB you have there quite nicely:)

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Looking great lake!

Man, such a bummer on that rub rail.

I really think that ought to be black though if you can score some, eh? I think it would match that Johnson OB you have there quite nicely:)

Yep, I guess modern rub rail is like the Model T - Available in any color as long as you want black. That would look good though.

Archie1212

Cadet

Nice work! Is this guy where you bought your starcraft decals from too?