1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
How is the snipe on the Dewalt wood? Is that the one with the 4 support post that are spread out? I have a Rigid works well but has more snipe than I would like sometimes. I built an extended deck support that helps, but I still have a slight bit.

oldrem

Commander
I've had the Delta like WOG for over 20 years. Been through a few sets of blades, but a constant workhorse when I need it.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Stripped and sanded all the seat parts while I was waiting for some epoxy fillets to cure .. 6F726EBF-3DB7-4C66-B2D0-CDF9484D3AC2.jpeg

Boy that’s an ugly transom ! I may stain it idk ...
A few of the pieces have some nice cracks /splits in them ..
This is where a plainer would come in handy ..
‘Also decided to do a little modification to the rub rail area.
There is piece of 1X2 sub nailer under the rounded rr That is all up and down and different reveals ..
So I’m trimming it down to match the conture of the rr better .. I’m using the rounded blade on the
multi-tool carefully for that ..
72184604-10F3-4C09-8FCE-BC0B18172A0B.jpeg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
That’s an idea ! It actually doesn’t look as bad in person as it does in the picture . I haven’t finish sanded or cleaned with oxolic acid yet to clean it up ..We will see how it looks after that ..
Not a whole lot done today . I did get the little fillets on the stringers a sanded smooth and vacuumed it out real good . Probably glass it tomorrow afternoon .. I want to get that done before I clean with the acid seeing as I will need to rinse the boat down pretty well with water . That way I can clean the water out without it soaking into the bottom of the hull ..
Seemed like a good idea I guess ...
I cleaned and swept up also . Was really needing it after all the stripping and sanding on the seats , used up sandpaper and my sunflower seed shells ..:facepalm:

zool

Captain
IMO, most if not all the bread box type planers are basically the same...and sometimes from the same MFG, but the all have their flaws.

That grizzly always seems to rank about 7 out of 10....easily beaten by the Dewalt, Wen, Cutech, Delta, Ect....I think excessive snipe was one of its faults...

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
The nice thing about the dewalt 735 model is it's probably one of the sturdiest bench top planers you can buy and if you care about dust collection, it actually has a standalone blower in the dust hood that helps with chip evaluation so it's pretty much impossible to clog.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well I pulled the trigger on the used dewalt .. probably pick up a piece of cedar tomorrow and try it out ..
Never used a planer before so hopefully I won’t loose any fingers ! :lol: