You know your getting old, Question about this

Link

Rear Admiral
This is just a FUN post but I am curious..<br /><br />For me it might be if you can remember when all TVs where black and white and had oval screens.<br />I was 6 years old when I saw my first TV. 1959<br />For JB it might be if you remember spark gap transmitters being used! ;) <br /><br />I haven't seen this yet but I'm sure it will be added soon.<br /><br />Your really getting old if you can remember a TV with Vertical and Horiz control knobs or a seperate UHF tuner!<br /><br />And the next step will be a TV without a remote LOL<br /><br /><br />Anyone seen this yet??

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: You know your getting old, Question about this

if... you can remember seeing Elvis perform live on tv. :) <br /><br />if ... you can remember a tv with doors over the screen.<br /><br />if ... you can remember products without a upc barcode on them.<br /><br />if... you remember 1/2 penny candy.<br /><br />if... you remember when products were made with sugar, instead of corn syrup.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Link:<br />Your really getting old if you can remember a TV with Vertical and Horiz control knobs or a seperate UHF tuner!
Had one that had all three. Our first entertainment was an 'ol Victrola. You all remember them?

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

if...you remember getting a real prize in your Cracker Jack.<br /><br />if...you thought it was cool to put a playing card on your bike's wheel spoke with a clothespin to make that noise when you rode.<br /><br />if...you made about $12 to $15 a month on your paper route and you were making good money.<br /><br />if...you went out to play with your buddies in the morning and didn't come home until dark and nobody wondered where you were or if you were OK.

matthews_jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Remember them all. Saw Elvis on TV and live twice. Never had a paper route, but remember the older boy that did. He wore a canvas bag that held the papers in front and back. Kind of like saddle bags with a hold for your head. I did mow yards during the summer for 50 cents with a push reel mower (no motor). Milkman brought milk to the house – loved that chocolate milk. And roller skates attached to your shoes.

sangerwaker

Commander

Dang you Link! You're all makin me feel old!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

TV? We didn't have a TV until the 50s.<br /><br />I remember all of us sitting around the Zenith radio listening to The Jack Benny Program on Sunday nights. That's where we were when news of Pearl Harbor came.<br /><br />"A" and "B" gas rationing stickers on the windshield of my Dad's 1934 Ford coupe.<br /><br />Gas fired streetlights in Montclair, NJ.<br /><br />The Milkman from Borden's Dairy delivering milk from his horse drawn cart during the war.<br /><br />Dr. Forbes' Deusenberg SJ and his wife's Pierce Arrow.<br /><br />I could go on. . . and on. That's enough for now.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by The Professor:<br /> if...you remember getting a real prize in your Cracker Jack.<br /><br />if...you thought it was cool to put a playing card on your bike's wheel spoke with a clothespin to make that noise when you rode.<br /><br />if...you made about $12 to $15 a month on your paper route and you were making good money.<br /><br />if...you went out to play with your buddies in the morning and didn't come home until dark and nobody wondered where you were or if you were OK.
I remeber all this, but I can't remember where I put my bloody keys last night. :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I remember TVs with dials and knobs, and no remote.<br /><br />I remember PONG and ATARI.<br /><br />I remember bannana seat bicycles.<br /><br />I too remember staying out all day long playing.<br /><br />I remember life before cell phones and pagers.<br /><br />I remember rotary dial phones, that weighed about 50 lbs.<br /><br />I remember when "cassettes" were new, 8 tracks were old, but records will still the most popular.<br /><br />I remember cars that you could see the engine under the hood (they were not new when I was looking at them ;) )<br /><br />Ken

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

I remember "three on the tree" manual transmissions.<br /><br />I remember home movie flood lights.<br /><br />I remember when made in Japan was an insult.

KaGee

Admiral

... a "real" ice cream soda, at the snack counter of the old Walgreen's downtown. They used to call the guys behind the counter "Soda Jerks".... :D Not very PC by today's standards.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by kenimpzoom:<br /> <br />I remember cars that you could see the engine under the hood (they were not new when I was looking at them ;) )<br /><br />Ken
And I remember that there was actually room to work on those engines without skinning up your arms and knuckles... ouch! :eek:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I remember THE house telephone being mounted on the wall in the kitchen with a rotary dial and as an upgrade, a 15' long cord so you could stand in the basement staircase for some privacy.<br /><br />I remember vacuume tubes.<br /><br />I remember playing with little green (USA), yellow (Japanese) and Grey (German?) army men.<br /><br />I remember bicycles with "banana" seats.<br /><br />Just to name a few.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Anyone recall Lickamaid? Sugar with flavor in a sleeve. Sour grape balls (gum). Nehi orange soda?<br />Heres one for the northeast. Simon Pure Beer?<br />Remember waiting for your TV or radio to "warmup"?

spratt

Lieutenant

I remember a soda called Kickapoo Joy Juice, almost all th things mentioned above (except JB's memorie :D ) I saw my first TV in 1960, it was B/W, had all teh functions mentioned above, and got about 5 channels...<br /><br />I wasn't old enough to have to use a reel type mower, but they had motors when I started using them...<br /><br />I remember when I could get a coke and a candy bar for less than a quarter...coke was in glass bottles and you could get three pennies back if you returned it...we always kept enough bottles around to not have to pay the deposit when we bought one...and the coolers were a sliding top box and always just ice cold!!!!<br /><br />Man, sometimes ya just don't think about how old ya are till this kind of post comes up...

KaGee

Admiral

Geeezz.... are we a becoming a bunch of "ole Geezers we used to joke about???<br /><br /> :confused:

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> Geeezz.... are we a becoming a bunch of "ole Geezers we used to joke about???<br /><br /> :confused:
Geezers is a polite way of saying the other F-word.<br /><br />Another doyaremeber: Flavor Straws, when you sipped milk thru them they flavored the milk in chocolate or strawberry?

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

*Sattidy mornin' kids RADIO<br />*Gapping spark plugs with a "thin" dime<br />*Gas for 19.9¢ per gal<br />*1¢ bubble gum<br />*Watching the neighbor's B&W tv thru the window - around '53 or so<br />*Fully equipped Chevy had a radio (tube type) and heater! Yep, in TN, heaters were an option<br />*Knowing 25¢/week was an awesome allowance<br />*And, on and on. . . .

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by tcube:<br /> *Sattidy mornin' kids RADIO<br />*Gapping spark plugs with a "thin" dime<br />*Gas for 19.9¢ per gal<br />*1¢ bubble gum<br />*Watching the neighbor's B&W tv thru the window - around '53 or so<br />*Fully equipped Chevy had a radio (tube type) and heater! Yep, in TN, heaters were an option<br />*Knowing 25¢/week was an awesome allowance<br />*And, on and on. . . .
Got ya, you were the guy lookin at our B&W that night. <br /><br />How about gas wars... $.079, it was that low, at the Cut Rate stations

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Did a woman called sarah listened in on all ya'lls telephone calls? :eek: :D