You know your getting old, Question about this

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: You know your getting old, Question about this

Some of you had it made with indoor plumbing! 3 older sisters 2 younger brothers and younger sister. Seem like when it came to bathing in the wash tub in the kitchen with water heated on a wood stove I was the last one and my younger sib's got to start with a clean tub. <br /><br />Most other stuff I was there for (except some of JB's) And like LakeLivin, the first computer I worked on used punched cards and you had to use the computers dials to address the card reader -- first deck had to be bootstrap loader.<br /><br />Also remember Gabriel Heater (sp) news cast - Dad had to listen at 6PM and always listened to the Shadow, and others.<br /><br />Amazing the memory's when someone mentions a few things from the past.<br /><br />What about hand tools? Hand saw, hand drill, etc.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Originally posted by The Professor:<br /> if...you thought it was cool to put a playing card on your bike's wheel spoke with a clothespin to make that noise when you rode.<br /><br />if...you went out to play with your buddies in the morning and didn't come home until dark and nobody wondered where you were or if you were OK.
My 11 yr old son did both of these all summer long. Hmmm if that means he is old.......<br />Then what the He!! am I????? :D <br /><br />AK Chappy

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

We used to shoot skeet in or back yard, how about 5 hamburgers for a buck. I could buy a pack of BB's for five cents. <br />Worked in a service staion where we pumped gas and checked tires and oil for everyone. Sold 6-pack of Bud or Coors for $1.75, pop was seventy cents. Shasta was 14 cans for a buck. Hostess cupcakes were fifteen cents.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

I still have my weekly reeder when Kennedy was shot, remember the daily KIA amd wounded counts on the news every night from Vietnam.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by AK Chappy:<br />
Originally posted by The Professor:<br /> if...you thought it was cool to put a playing card on your bike's wheel spoke with a clothespin to make that noise when you rode.<br /><br />if...you went out to play with your buddies in the morning and didn't come home until dark and nobody wondered where you were or if you were OK.
My 11 yr old son did both of these all summer long. Hmmm if that means he is old.......<br />Then what the He!! am I????? :D <br /><br />AK Chappy
Chappy,<br /><br />I can only tell you that I envy you and yours if life in Anchorage is still peaceful enough for things like these.<br /><br />Also, I forgot about the nuke drills in school and playing in the abandoned Nike Missile bunkers on the hillside in San Pedro, CA.

one more cast

Captain

awww the memories........<br /> The old pickup box full of kids riding up to the swimming hole in the river.<br /><br /> Filling up my Honda trail 70 for a quarter.<br /><br /> Playing in the creek and woods from morning til dark only coming home for lunch.<br /><br /> <br /> Going up on the roof to turn the antenna so we could watch something on the other channel.<br /><br /> putting 15 cents in the new soda machine with the dial a selection to get a ice cold Fresca<br /><br /> Sneaking into the drive-in in the trunk of the car only to get caught and have to pay anyway.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

.25 hamburgers, .25 milkshakes, .20 cigarettes, .05 cokes, $3000 new cars.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Where I live folks have always said that we were 30 years behind the rest of the country, yowza, after reading all this stuff, it's like my daily life, I can believe it now... :D

aspeck

Staff member

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br />
Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> .... we walked ten miles to school...one way.<br />.... we had no snow days.... tredged through snow drifts over 3 foot tall with temps below zero!
36_1_26.gif
.......barefoot. We must have gone to the same school. :D
Yea, and it was uphill, BOTH ways! :eek:

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

How about riding down the hill on a sled with steel runners, or better yet on a scoop shovel.<br />The only heat in our house growing up was an old wood stove in the basement, with NO polution control stuff.<br />Riding home from town in the back deck or dash behind the back seat of the car.<br />Riding on the floor of dads old chevy to get close enough to the heater.<br />Full service gas stations, dad pulling in saying fill er up!<br />The air raid drills in school, when the russians were going to kill us all and take over.<br />The old uncle sam posters on every corner.<br />Going down to the creek to cut the perfect christmas tree.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When polaroid pictures first came out and were one of the neatest things I'd seen.

maninahat

Cadet

and from this side of the pond, I remember life before...<br /><br />....bubble wrap<br />....electric Christmas tree lights (real candles!)<br />....credit cards<br />....smoke alarms<br />....expanded polystyrene<br />....security lights<br />....electric keyboards<br />....organ transplants<br />....tumble dryers<br />....cellulite<br />....compensation<br /><br /><br />Weren't we supposed to be flying about in graviy defying cars by now???

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I was a kid, I got my arm stuck in my Grandmother's dryer-roller, It hurt like h*ll. She had twist knobs for light switches. We had had 8 on our party line, course that was in Idaho. That's about what you would expect in Idaho. It was a great place to grow up. I went hunting every night after school out my back door.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

On the flip side you know yor getting old when: Bifocals are a necessity.<br />Not having to go anywhere on a friday night sounds like fun.<br />For no good reason when I woke up yesterday my left hand is stiff & sore.<br />Did I mention getting up off the floor without making a noise?

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by carrotsnapper:<br /> When I was a kid, I got my arm stuck in my Grandmother's dryer-roller, It hurt like h*ll. She had twist knobs for light switches. We had had 8 on our party line, course that was in Idaho. That's about what you would expect in Idaho. It was a great place to grow up. I went hunting every night after school out my back door.
Reminded me of when I was 9, I got my arm stuck in a candy vending machine, the old mechanical type at the YMCA. I had been "boosting" it for 2 years for free candy bars. Just flip the lever near the product and there it is. Seems I grew a bit over the summer that year and I got my arm up there but it wouldn't come out. The Fire Dept. came and freed me up, but my old man kicked my butt. My friends disapeared too, the little porks. They were cashing in on the freebies though. Man how STUPID :p

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Wow, I'm feeling like a real youngster. I never had air raid drills, and didn't have a rotary phone (though my grandmother did).<br /><br />My "early" memories include:<br /><br />-ATARI was the coolest invention ever.<br />-Renting a VCR from the video rental store along with movies..<br />-Computers without a mouse, operating with MS DOS<br />-5 1/4 inch floppy disks, and no hard drive.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by wilkin250r:<br /> Wow, I'm feeling like a real youngster. I never had air raid drills, and didn't have a rotary phone (though my grandmother did).<br /><br />My "early" memories include:<br /><br />-ATARI was the coolest invention ever.<br />-Renting a VCR from the video rental store along with movies..<br />-Computers without a mouse, operating with MS DOS<br />-5 1/4 inch floppy disks, and no hard drive.
You are just a Pup. :D

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

NY,<br /><br />reminds me of those old soda machines, kind of like big ice chests that had bottles sitting upright in ice water. the bottle tops were in a slot that was too narrow to lift them out. you opened the lid, put in your quarter, and then could slide one bottle through the slot to a point where it was wide enough to pull out the whole bottle.<br /><br />my brother had the 'bright idea' to open the bottle top while still in the slot and then tilt the bottle as much as possible and pour the soda into a cup. Couldn't get all of the soda out of the bottle, maybe 1/2 of it.<br /><br />honestly, i didn't do it, it was my brother. if i had wanted to participate i'd have gotten a straw and drank the other half of the bottle still sitting in the machine.<br /><br />wasn't soda so much better back then? glass bottles instead of plastic, and sweetened with sugar instead of corn syrup? they still make it that way in mexico and other central american countries...

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I remember:<br />-electric trolley cars, with overhead power lines, in Shreveport, LA.<br />-a sign on a coin-op laundry window, "Whites only." 1963 or 1964. I thought it meant you could only wash white clothes there.<br />-people saying "just put it on my bill."<br />-when there was no such thing as a fishfinder.<br />-preparing tax returns with a pencil, and copying them one page at a time.<br />-if nobody was home, you just had to call back later.<br />-what a busy signal sounds like.<br />-pumping the accelerator if the engine was cold.