You know your getting old, Question about this

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: You know your getting old, Question about this

wow, I was going to say gas at $0.29 / gal.<br /><br />black & white tv<br /><br />1 car per family<br /><br />transistor radios<br /><br />finding a dime in a pay phone slot was a big deal!<br /><br />ONLY thing on tv during daytime was soap operas

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Rotary dial phones<br />party lines<br />flags in our classrooms and starting each day with the pledge<br />when being a white, heterosecual, christian male, with a job did NOT make you wrong<br />I remember when gay meant happy<br />I remember black and whites with all of the adjustment knobs.<br />Going outside to turn the antenna to pick up channel 10 (the other channel)<br />Our first color TV, and our first VCR<br />the first microwave oven<br />tap water was good<br />Christmas shopping in small stores downtown

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Family night at the drive-in.... $1.00 per carload. Hiding in the trunk to sneak in on a regular night. Parking in the woods or a "lover's lane" with your g/f and not worrying about getting killed by some sicko. Having a driver's license and car dating at 15. Man I had a great childhood.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by ae708:<br /> Family night at the drive-in.... $1.00 per carload. Hiding in the trunk to sneak in on a regular night. Parking in the woods or a "lover's lane" with your g/f and not worrying about getting killed by some sicko. Having a driver's license and car dating at 15. Man I had a great childhood.
Sometimes her dad was worth a worry or two.

Link

Rear Admiral

Man Ya'lls making me wish I hadn't asked the question! I'm feeling so old now that I don't think after lunch I will be able to finish out the work day. Maybe should just lay down and nap! Blow off the rest of the day ;) I'm sure the boss will understand.<br />Grew up in a logging town. from 59 to 62 we did not have telephones. In 63 when we got them the whole town was on one party line. Any calls outside of town was long distance!<br /><br />Lost a couple good pocket watches through the wringer on the washing machine too :eek: <br /><br />To heck with the nap, I'm going to start pinching myself to make sure Im still alive! LOL

aspeck

Staff member

Sad thing is, not only do I remember most of these, I had to tilt my head back and look through the bottom of my glasses to read them!!!!!!

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

aspeck - yeah, me too on the tilt back :rolleyes: <br /><br />*1 phone in the house for 5 people (luckily no party line)<br />*long distance calls made by dialing "0" for the operator who was a real person - not a disembodied voice.<br />*if you used a "cell" phone you were in SERIOUS trouble and probably had to call your lawyer :D <br />*airconditioning - what was that?<br />*movies were 25¢<br />*roller skates clamped on your shoes - if you ever lost the key you had a problem<br />*was 18 before I needed a house key<br />*rode bikes on main roads - never saw cars<br /><br />Link - you're dredging up too many memories! :)

KaGee

Admiral

.... we walked ten miles to school...one way.<br />.... we had no snow days.... tredged through snow drifts over 3 foot tall with temps below zero!
36_1_26.gif

LadyFish

Admiral

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> .... we walked ten miles to school...one way.<br />.... we had no snow days.... tredged through snow drifts over 3 foot tall with temps below zero!
36_1_26.gif
.......barefoot. We must have gone to the same school. :D

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Man, that was some stroll down memory lane. Ditto to all of the above ecept JB's post. Those I wasn't yet around for.You folks are to fast, everyone I could think of some one already had except black dress pants and shoes with button, collared shirt and tie every day at school. And sonic booms almost daily in the late fifties. Good post Link.

LadyFish

Admiral

1 bathroom in the house for 7 people. And, my Dad owned his own plumbing, heating and electrical contracting business. :rolleyes: <br /><br />A towrope to haul me up the mountain at my favorite ski lodge.<br /><br />Penny candy, the red hot gummy ones.<br /><br />Coke in a green bottle for a nickel.<br /><br />Fugicles for a dime.<br /><br />.50 to get into a minor league game in my hometown.<br /><br />Piling in the trunk of your friend's car to get into the drive-in movie free that only cost $1 anyway.<br /><br />Wooden rowboats.<br /><br />An "H" with fishing line and a hook on it.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

JB a jersey boy? gas lights in montclair nj, they still had em in glen ridge in 1978, maybe still do.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

LadyFish,<br /><br />We had you beat, 1 bathroom in the house for 8 people. When you look back at it now, doesn't it make you wonder how that could possibly work?

LadyFish

Admiral

LakeLivin, I dunno 5 of us girls sharing that one bathroom. The men were pretty much out of luck. :D <br /><br />At the lake we did have a poopoo (can I say that here?) house in addition the the bathroom in the house. Complete with a Monky Wards catalog.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey Wajajaja!<br /><br />Spent summers with my Dad in Montclair growing up. The rest of the year I was at home in NC.<br /><br />My heart was first broken by a gorgeous Glen Ridge girl who lived on Lincoln St.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lady Fish,<br /><br />Remember playing whose farthest away with the green nickle cokes? The bottling location was stamped on the bottom and the one the greatest distance usually got his/hers free.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ladyfish,<br /><br />Yeah, we had 5 girls, as one of the 3 guys it was even worse!

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not as old as some examples, but:<br /><br />punching each line of a computer program on an individual card and feeding the stack of cards through a reader in order to run a program.

Twidget

Commander

I remember my first 'self winding' watch. I used to run around and shake it just to hear it wind up.<br /><br />10 cents for pinball, 3 plays for a quarter.<br /><br />2 for a penny bazooka bubble gum.<br /><br />Remember when Burger King was the new competitor for McDonals?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wow nobody brought up the nuke drills in class:)<br /> or the new school was a fallout shelter. I grew up all over but mostly in Grand Bay AL, pascagoula MS and Kitty HawkNC<br /> Kitty Hawk in the 60's had one mostly paved road. no traffic lights from great bridge VA to manteo. manteo had one. <br /> we had no TV here cause the transmitter from the big E city (elizabeth city) was not strong enough and norfolk was to far away. the general store in town sold hoop cheese,link sausages,well points, pitcher pump. pipe joints for the pump and point. shot gun and some rifle shells. wash tubs and wash boards and could order most anything else. may take 2 weeks to get it.what phones there were were party lines. the electricity stayed off about as much as on :) . and I too have to lean back to see the screen :) <br /> and we complained about all the toursist's then as well :)