You Guys Inspired Me!!!!

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: You Guys Inspired Me!!!!

InMotion, thanks alot for eating up 2 hours of my day, I started looking at your restore and 2 hours and 30 pages later came up for air. GREAT job I love the polished hull. If I keep looking and thinking up new ideas I will never work on this thing.

STARCRAFTSS....I think I am going back with pedestal seating and agree on the reinforced areas. No sliding door.....the slot is for a removable back deck that was slide in there.

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

are you going to use marine carpet??? if you are going to use carpet...what glue will you be using??? check the instructions..
the glue recommended for my marine carpet said in the instructions...do not apply over varnish...I discovered this too late..
I had used marine plywood with 3 coats of marine varnish on both sides of my deck...and had the deck riveted down...
I was not about to start over...I used silicone spread all over the deck..(don't know if it would work on varnish either)...
but also used stainless steel staples all along the edge of the carpet and here and there out in the middle...
carpet is not moving anywhere...

InMotion

Commander

InMotion, thanks alot for eating up 2 hours of my day, I started looking at your restore and 2 hours and 30 pages later came up for air. GREAT job I love the polished hull. If I keep looking and thinking up new ideas I will never work on this thing.

Thanks man... it was a blast!

It truly is a process... Starcraft Stare Time is key... whether at the boat or at this site... it's kinda mandatory!

J.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

We are an inspiring group. Welcome to the tinhouse, nice looking project.

Don

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

I found this forum and just about had a heart attack at all the info. and all the awesome projects. That very same night I walked in and informed my wife that the little boat was getting completely restored.
I think we've got another one guys.
It's OK cpdchap, you'll feel much better after you've had your Gluvit. - Grandad
Now watch this very closely.
StarcraftStare.jpg

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok contacted our local specialty wood provider and got the 3/4" marine plywood going. I have also decided that my trailer is JUNK and am searching for a replacement.....have a possibility for 400 that looks pretty good so we will see. Meanwhile, I am continuing to clean up the inside of the hull so that it can be flipped.

So if you don't polish the hull like InMotion did, and quite well I might add, what is the best paint or coating to finish the hull with??? I am sure there are lots of opinions out there but I don't mind I listen then try to research based on them.

Thanks again for letting me dabble in the realm of "TINSANITY"

jbcurt00

Staff member

It's OK cpdchap, you'll feel much better after you've had your Gluvit. - Grandad
StarcraftStare.jpg

^^^
biggrin.gif
^^^

BTW: on my cellphone, the pix don't show up sometimes so I have to click them & open them as attachements..... When I opened this pix, the photobucket ad that appeared was for:

Are you addicted to Marijuana?
We can help, please call 1800 TheJane*

smoking-cannabis-034.gif

I'm just saying.......

*Not the correct #
rolleyes.gif

If your original paint is in decent shape & well stuck, a light sanding & Rustoleum Pro (with or without an additional hardener) is fairly popular. Any bare aluminum needs a light coat of Zinc Chromate (ZC) or Self Etching (SE) primer in rattle cans.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

StarcraftStare.jpg

And don't forget to use 3M 5200. It's a great deodorant and toothpaste.

For paint, Rustoleum with hardener is the ticket, along with the zinc chromate or self-etching prime like JB said.

Give me a minute and I'll find the formula here in the forums. I thought I had it bookmarked, but no. :blue:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My advice on a trailer, price out a new one before you sink money into one that might need some work. They really aren't THAT expensive and trailer rehab parts can add up quick.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks GA, I will look into new, EZ, I Had thought it would be to pricey but that was a guess. Thanks

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sig, Thank you, I might do that as last resort but will try my best to get the cast aluminum ones.......I actually thought about making some out of steel and chroming them.........we will see.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Think I am going to go for this........the only thing I might have to modify runners which is no biggie.

Attachments

• trailer1.jpg
    trailer1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 3
  • trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 3
  • trailer3.jpg
    trailer3.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 3

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That trailer looks decent. Tough to tell from the pics but it looks to be C channel correct and not fully boxed? That's a plus since you can more easily see what's going on with the metal. I bought a used fully boxed one for my Jupiter that was badly rusting from the inside-out.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Correct it is C channel and it has a very light surface rust, all in all, it is in excellent condition. My existing trailer has had to many bored PO's who thought they were a fab shop. Maybe I will share some of the custom work with you guys with some pictures......who knows someone may get an idea or two.:laugh:

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is a question for the Starcrafters: My boat has a 50 horse Evinrude that needs some TLC....

Question: Repair and tune the 50 or save the money and upgrade to a 70.......found a fresh rebuilt 70 for $1300.
I know that alot of this has to do with preference, but am curious if maybe someone has had good or bad experience with either.

BonairII

Commander

You'll be a bit underpowered with the 50hp. I have a 75hp(at the crank) on my SS....moves the boat very well. I'd love to upgrade to a prop-rated 85hp.