Yar-Craft

Opie0525

Recruit
New to iboats and new to owning my first boat.
I bought a 1973? Star-Craft with a 50 hp Johnson ob motor.
Starts every time yet I know nothing about boats.
When I start this boat I have to drop the choke and push the lever full foreward and then back it off. If I just push foreward alittle the motor has no guts at all. At full throttle it just seams to not have much power. I was expecting much more with a 50 hp motor. This is a tri hull, does this make a difference, or is this normal for this type of boat? Other than the power is issue the motor sounds and runs great. Can anyone help. I dont want to sound stupid but as I said I have no experience with boats. I just bought this boat so I could take my 15 and 8 year olds out to fish instead of staring at the tv all day. Any help would be great. I will also be asking maintance ? later in the fall.

TAV MAN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yar-Craft

So what do we do!. Well first help tav man with his boat and tav man will help with your.

avsfan605

Recruit
Re: Yar-Craft

I also knew little about boats and even less about outboard motors.I had seen Yarcraft boats used on the fishing shows. I purchased a 1985 Yarcraft with 75hsp Evinrude. After I used it two times I had almost the same trouble as you. My mechanic found there was an adjustment on the throtle that was set wrong, a kink in the fuel line, and the gas tank was not properly vented. The later problem was discovered when I opened it and it made a loud pop from lack of air. I also had to use the choke to get back to dock. All is fixed and runs great. Good luck.