Winterize raw water pump

seren

Cadet
Hello, does anyone have an advice if the raw water pump need to be winterized and how to do it? For fishwell pump you can pour potable anti-freeze into the fishwell and run the pumps a little. But how do you winterize the raw water pump short of removing the pump and make sure all the water is drained?

bossfsi

Recruit
Re: Winterize raw water pump

I have a 2004 21' Trophy CC boat and the way I winterize that pump is by going to the access port on the swim platform in front of the OB engine and taking the hose off the fitting that goes to the through hull port. Then take a gallon of anti freeze and stick the bottle through the access port, let it rest on the bottom of the inside of the boat, stick the hose in the bottle and run the pump. That's how I do it. There might be a easier way but that's what I know.

throphy07

Cadet

I have added a T-valve between the seawater intake and the pump.
The T-valve is connected to a ordinary garden hose connection.
I can now easilly connect 1.5 meter of garden hose and use the pump as a extra bilage pump. Winterization is then verry simple. Put some antifreeze in a bucket, put the garden hose into the bucket and start the pump. Voila....:)

Attachments

• mini-IMAG0089.jpg
    mini-IMAG0089.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 0

seren

Cadet

I have added a T-valve between the seawater intake and the pump.
The T-valve is connected to a ordinary garden hose connection.
I can now easilly connect 1.5 meter of garden hose and use the pump as a extra bilage pump. Winterization is then verry simple. Put some antifreeze in a bucket, put the garden hose into the bucket and start the pump. Voila....:)

Thanks. Not a bad idea. Definitely will be looking into doing that.