WINTER PROJECT: 1971 Glastron V176: SKOOTCH

LangDog

Cadet
Re: WINTER PROJECT: 1971 Glastron V176: SKOOTCH

Looking forward to your progress! I really like that model with it being a little bigger than many other similar boats. Looks like you're diving right in!

SKOOTCH

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the tips, guys! Whats the best way to take off the bumper rail? It looks like I can pry it off with a screw driver...Just makin' sure. Thanx!!

redfury

Commander

Thanks for the tips, guys! Whats the best way to take off the bumper rail? It looks like I can pry it off with a screw driver...Just makin' sure. Thanx!!

Pop the rubber out with a screwdriver after removing the nose piece and the end caps, then you either unscrew the SS screws that hold the aluminum part of the rub rail on, or get to drill out a few hundred rivets. Most likely you will have screws, but you will probably have to drill a couple of them out ( the screws can distort pretty easily, do don't assume you can just zip them out with a drill )

SKOOTCH

Seaman Apprentice

Redfury>>> Is the rubber something that can be saved or does it ruin it when i take it out?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It can, and should be saved.

redfury

Commander

I can get replacement rubrail for the stuff they used on my boat from Taco, but you don't want to have to pay to replace something that can be reused, unless you really want to spiff it up with out more work ( and more money out of pocket ). New aluminum Rub rail is expensive, seems to only come in 12ft lengths ( I need 20 for one piece per side with no seams ) and is hellu expensive. I'll be putting mine to the sweat equity grinder and sanding and polishing it up to look nice again. ( gives me something to do over winter too.. )

If it is stiff and stubborn, heat it up with a hair dryer or heat gun and slowly work it out, that's how you'll put it back in.

SKOOTCH

Seaman Apprentice

Thank YOu Redfury! I got it out no problem and it felt stiff, like it would be hell goin back in. You confirmed my thought of heating it up!

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

Nobody's mentioned an essential supply yet: Beer! It's going to take a lot of beer to restore that boat. (unless you're under 21. In that case it's going to take a lot of diet pepsi or something)

SKOOTCH

Seaman Apprentice

Beer and Jack & Coke...and lots of it! Good point, Luhrs!

I took that design for the out board stand and built one (with my twist of course!) Here's some pictures. As soon as my buddy comes over to help is when I'll pull the Johnson off and set it on the stand.

Attachments

• stand 1.jpg
    stand 1.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 0
  • stand 2.jpg
    stand 2.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 0
  • stand 3.jpg
    stand 3.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 0
  • stand 4.jpg
    stand 4.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 0
  • stand 5.jpg
    stand 5.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 0

SKOOTCH

Seaman Apprentice

More pics of Stand...

I didn't put that 8 degree slant on it like the diagram said to, I'm bettin' it will be fine... I used nails to make it a little more interesting.

Attachments

• stand 10.jpg
    stand 10.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 0
  • stand 6.jpg
    stand 6.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 0
  • stand 7.jpg
    stand 7.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 0
  • stand 8.jpg
    stand 8.jpg