Winter Prep for So Cal

csukraw

Seaman Apprentice
Getting ready to drop off the boat at the storage yard for the winter. 2002 Chaparral with a Volvo 5.0GXI. What do you all recommend doing for outdoor winter storage prep? I’m in Orange County so temps won’t get below 40 this winter. Fill the tank up and add Sta-Bil? Disconnect batteries? What’s the best process?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you need to do your annual PM's

run the fuel tank down
oil change and filter
fuel filter
gear oil change
pull the drive to inspect alignment, gimbal bearing, bellows
pull the raw water impeller for winter

however not sure why you wouldnt just run it year round.

csukraw

Seaman Apprentice
Will likely only be sitting for a few months tops just during the coldest part of winter. Just had its yearly service too so none of that is necessary. More concerned with letting it sit for a few months and what should be done for that.

Alumarine

Captain
If it's for a few months tops, and get yearly maintenance done, and don't have to worry about freezing I'd make sure the battery was charged and that's it.

airshot

Rear Admiral
On a boat, a year is considered 50 hours, in your area you may put more than 50 hours in a year/ season. So be sure your seasonal maintence is done every 50 hours regardless what time of year it is...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
If it's for a few months tops, and get yearly maintenance done, and don't have to worry about freezing I'd make sure the battery was charged and that's it.
If it were mine, I'd remove the battery, take it home and put it on a trickle charger. I have a farm and have a dozen or so batteries in different equipment and a lot of them don't get operated regularly. After having dismal luck with my batteries, and the cost of new ones, I realized that they self discharge more frequently than I had imagined. Keeping them charged has solved my battery problems and when I want to crank a piece of equipment, it rolls over with enthusiasm!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
On a boat, a year is considered 50 hours, in your area you may put more than 50 hours in a year/ season. So be sure your seasonal maintence is done every 50 hours regardless what time of year it is...
50 hours?
I have put that many hours on my motor in a week.

My service manual says annually or every 100 hours. I service mine annually….. 200-250 hours.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
What part of OC are you in? I never do any type of winter prep, you can use your boat all "winter" long. We don't have real winters here.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Just as a precaution...do you remember what happened in Texas last winter?
In places where blocks are not supposed to freeze? It was a disaster.

I would at least drain the block after doing your yearly maintenance. If you go out boating, you can always just drain it again.

Don't just use old school trickle chargers for your batteries. Get yourself a maintainer for each battery. Modern smart maintainers have stages that not only keep them topped off, but know when to cycle them so they don't get overcharged. It's the key to making your batteries last for years.
I just replaced a battery this year that came in my used boat. I'm the third owner of the boat. I've had that boat for nine seasons and have no idea how old that battery was before I got it. Nine years is pretty good for a battery. I think the maintainer had something to do with it lasting so long.

airshot

Rear Admiral
50 hours?
I have put that many hours on my motor in a week.

My service manual says annually or every 100 hours. I service mine annually….. 200-250 hours.
All my service manuals for my jonnyrude engines, my mercruiser engine and drive and my mercury outboard all refer to 50 hours as an annual time frame on average !! I know there have been many seasons where I put far more than that, but going by all I have read, and service manual references never heard or saw anything but a 50 hour annual recomendation. Even our local marina mechanic and the signs in their shop call for 50 hr annuals....If you live in an area where there is no winter....it does sound very short !!

airshot

Rear Admiral
If it were mine, I'd remove the battery, take it home and put it on a trickle charger. I have a farm and have a dozen or so batteries in different equipment and a lot of them don't get operated regularly. After having dismal luck with my batteries, and the cost of new ones, I realized that they self discharge more frequently than I had imagined. Keeping them charged has solved my battery problems and when I want to crank a piece of equipment, it rolls over with enthusiasm!
Yessir, I must have about 4 or 5 trickle / maintainer chargers for various batteries from all my toys. My life span on those batteries has improved greatly with chargers, just keep them hooked up until they are needed !!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
All my service manuals for my jonnyrude engines, my mercruiser engine and drive and my mercury outboard all refer to 50 hours as an annual time frame on average !! I know there have been many seasons where I put far more than that, but going by all I have read, and service manual references never heard or saw anything but a 50 hour annual recomendation.
I don’t have a Johnny Rude operators manual. Mine is an OMC :)

My Merc 175 and my Evinrude 200 both are 100 hour intervals?

By chance….what year is your documentation? This one is 1997
4B1E852C-4756-4FC9-99AB-6E24B0EA9A7B.jpeg
Even our local marina mechanic and the signs in their shop call for 50 hr annuals....
Right next to the 3,000 mile oil change shop?…lol