Windows 11 yes/no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
After using Win 11 for a month or so, I'd suggest anyone considering the upgrade should wait until a few major refinements are made. It's pretty buggy and, on my relatively new Dell computer, much slower to boot and wake up.

Microsoft has of course loaded it with a ton of useless software and they've moved many features (which otherwise seem the same), but that is par for the course for a Windows upgrade. From a user's perspective, I still have found absolutely no benefit to the upgrade.

sam am I

Commander
From a user's perspective, I still have found absolutely no benefit to the upgrade.
Par for the course........Bloatware with much more MS control!!

MS will force it down our throats by slowly and intentionally degrading our current stuff......IE is a prime example, MS now is taking control of your use of IE so as to force us to use the MS Edge garbage.

MS is taking down IE (and Win 10/7) slowly and methodically, with each "required" MS security update, more backdoor software is being loading that behind the scenes intentionally makes items begin to fail to work/lockup/function poorly, they give themselves controls of the SW that were never there before(IE to Edge example)...

This is done slowly and over time to make you finally relent to the upgrade because your current stuff in now preforming so poorly(or now full of popups, redirects, etc), you have no choice have to upgrade.........

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
MS will force it down our throats by slowly and intentionally degrading our current stuff......IE is a prime example, MS now is taking control of your use of IE so as to force us to use the MS Edge garbage.
No reason to put up with either.
Most, if not all app usage in Windows 10 is user configurable.

I have not used IE in I don't know how many years. Switched to Firefox and never looked back. Lots of privacy tools not available for IE

alldodge

Staff member
I have 2 copies of Win 7 Pro and always loved them. Finding they won't load on the new computers, and don't have drivers. Also use firefox, and don't like IE or MS Edge. Oracle is looking better

sam am I

Commander
No reason to put up with either.
Most, if not all app usage in Windows 10 is user configurable
I have not used IE in I don't know how many years. Switched to Firefox and never looked back. Lots of privacy tools not available for IE
Have too with ONLY one thing..........Samsung Smart Cams(FF or Chrome not supported), else I've used and been on FF and Chrome for years myself. BUT, the platform still remains MS and THAT is also a nightmare with some 3rd party stuff because MS still backdoors even those...The battle continues

sam am I

Commander
Also use firefox, and don't like IE or MS Edge. Oracle is looking better
Ditto and it's just unfortunate most programs default to being designed to running on MS else I think 99% of us would dump MS soooooooo fast their heads would spin.

Last edited:

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Microsoft has always released buggy newer versions. I was never quick to upgrade until they fixed the majority of problems.
My upgrade path:
DOS 3.3
Windows 95B
Windows 98SE
Windows 10
I'm keeping my 98 PC running because of all the expensive programs I own out right for it. I'm not paying monthly for programs such as AutoCAD, 3D StudioMAX, Photoshop, Premier, etc...
My win 10 laptop is used pretty much just for web browsing. Microsoft claims my hardware is not able to handle Win 11, fine with me. I'm 62 and starting to think Linux would be a better option since Windows is getting worse with every version.

sam am I

Commander
I'm keeping my 98 PC running because of all the expensive programs I own out right for it. I'm not paying monthly for programs such as
Man this sounds familiar, I still have a 95 machine running because of this same situation. I still have MS-DOS installation floppy's....lol. Those were the days, seems we've only went backwards from a much simpler time. Sorts miss those good ole days............

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
I'm keeping my 98 PC running because of all the expensive programs I own out right for it. I'm not paying monthly for programs such as AutoCAD, 3D StudioMAX, Photoshop, Premier, etc...
I've been using as much open source software as I can. I still have a subscription for Adobe, but that's mainly so I'm completely compatible with my clients. Otherwise, I can accomplish most everything with open source stuff and get good results.

bigdee

Commander
I got tired of being held hostage by big tech and its proprietary software so I switched to Linux and never looked back.

sam am I

Commander
I ran a Ubuntu machine back some years ago, 2008/9/10 worked nice, used it's C based Linux OS for coding/compiling C/C++ projects, but was so limited in its main stream 3rd party SW as most SW manu's (like 90% back then) designed their wares around the damn MS platform....Must be nice to be King eh?

Sooooooo here I am on a XP laptop.....lol. As soon as possible (serious retirement), my main system, as far a internet browsing/needs will be Linux based, no doubt

Last edited:

440roadrunner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I ran a Ubuntu machine back some years ago, 2008/9/10 worked nice, used it's C based Linux OS for coding/compiling C/C++ projects, but was so limited in its main stream 3rd party SW as most SW manu's (like 90% back then) designed their wares around the damn MS platform....Must be nice to be King eh?

Sooooooo here I am on a XP laptop.....lol. As soon as possible (serious retirement), my main system, as far a internet browsing/needs will be Linux based, no doubt
THIS. Learn to use linux. I run mostly Thinkpad T520 laptops dual boot with various Windows (whch I don't use) and with mostly Linux "Mint" with "Mate" desktop. 'Mint' is a takeoff from Ubuntu, and "Mate" is a type of desktop which sorta resembles the old W98/ XP style, menu button in the lower left tastkbar, etc. I use Firefox browser, with a form of adblock

I have not worried about bugs or viruses for so many years I am "surprised" when people mention them.

If you want to try Linux, get a "thumb drive." You can load up your brand of linux, boot and run it off the thumb drive "much" like it was on the hard drive, and try it out. It will be "some" slow because of the thumb drive

Winhoes sloven was bad enough. I detested Whineblows HAeight and can barely stand to use Windoze te-HEN.

The only reason I keep Whenhosed around at all there are a couple of programs--like my Holley EFI stuff--that won't run on Linux, and "once in awhile" I have some issue like a printer that I can't figure out in Linux. I don't boot up Windblows more that 3-4 times A YEAR

sam am I

Commander
THIS. Learn to use linux. I run mostly Thinkpad T520 laptops dual boot with various Windows (whch I don't use) and with mostly Linux "Mint" with "Mate" desktop. 'Mint' is a takeoff from Ubuntu, and "Mate" is a type of desktop which sorta resembles the old W98/ XP style, menu button in the lower left tastkbar, etc. I use Firefox browser, with a form of adblock

I have not worried about bugs or viruses for so many years I am "surprised" when people mention them.

If you want to try Linux, get a "thumb drive." You can load up your brand of linux, boot and run it off the thumb drive "much" like it was on the hard drive, and try it out. It will be "some" slow because of the thumb drive

Winhoes sloven was bad enough. I detested Whineblows HAeight and can barely stand to use Windoze te-HEN.

The only reason I keep Whenhosed around at all there are a couple of programs--like my Holley EFI stuff--that won't run on Linux, and "once in awhile" I have some issue like a printer that I can't figure out in Linux. I don't boot up Windblows more that 3-4 times A YEAR
ALL great spins on MircoShot's WindHoles..........

matt167

Captain
As a windows user ( used a LOT of linux distributions through the years too ) , I'll say that Linux will never gain mainstream attention for many professional programs, and GNU license stuff, while good for being free, and some exceptionally well for being free will only go so far, because development is generally unpaid... The best case scenario for Linux is run Windows inside a VM.

ChromeOS ( Debian based ) is the closest we have to linux in the mainstream and that is only because it runs Android apps. While I have a chrome book for watching you tube how to's in my garage, it's kind of janky when you think about it.. It 'works' but not everything does, some of it does not display correctly... I really like my Chromebook, it's light and quick. I also use it for reloading and the Hornady reloading app displays perfectly. BUT, there is no way I could live with just a chrome OS computer

bigdee

Commander
As a windows user ( used a LOT of linux distributions through the years too ) , I'll say that Linux will never gain mainstream attention for many professional programs, and GNU license stuff, while good for being free, and some exceptionally well for being free will only go so far, because development is generally unpaid... The best case scenario for Linux is run Windows inside a VM.

ChromeOS ( Debian based ) is the closest we have to linux in the mainstream and that is only because it runs Android apps. While I have a chrome book for watching you tube how to's in my garage, it's kind of janky when you think about it.. It 'works' but not everything does, some of it does not display correctly... I really like my Chromebook, it's light and quick. I also use it for reloading and the Hornady reloading app displays perfectly. BUT, there is no way I could live with just a chrome OS computer
True for some professional software but there are ways to workaround most of those. I have taken the time to learn Linux to free myself from the prying eyes of MS. Linux is faster,cleaner and more reliable.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you don't like Windows very much.

aspeck

Staff member
I did an upgrade on my business laptop that apparently changed my configurations to automatic upgrades. Came in the next morning and Win11 was installed. Start-up was fine, no issues there, but things were cumbersome to find and some things were hard to find. Oh well, I thought, time to learn.

Move ahead about a week, leave office and leave laptop running. Come back to blue screen of death. Shut it down and start up again and starts up fine. Dell Diagnostics tells me the hard drive is going (SSD). I do some other checks and all point to the hard drive being fine. This is repeated about a dozen times over the next week. Now I am worried about the hard drive. Business decides to get me a new laptop ... with Win11.

New Laptop arrives. After ordering the new laptop the old laptop works fine. Not sure if there was an upgrade to Win11 or what, but I am thinking that was the culprit for the crashes. Has only crashed 1 time in the last 4 weeks. I leave the old laptop in the office now and the new laptop is at my home or wherever I go away from the office (it is MUCH lighter).

So, Win11 got me a new laptop because I am assuming it is the cause of the old laptop crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.