Windows 11 yes/no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I did for my newer Dell desktop. Personally, I’d advise you to wait. File Explorer (and who knows what else) is buggy. The interface is different - not bad, but things have been relocated as MS always does. I have not used it a whole lot, but I was moving a bunch of files and noticed the problem with File Explorer. If some thing that basic is not working properly, it makes me wonder what else might’ve slipped through the cracks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I did for my newer Dell desktop. Personally, I’d advise you to wait. File Explorer (and who knows what else) is buggy. The interface is different - not bad, but things have been relocated as MS always does. I have not used it a whole lot, but I was moving a bunch of files and noticed the problem with File Explorer. If some thing that basic is not working properly, it makes me wonder what else might’ve slipped through the cracks.
did they get rid of all the bloatware?

ezbtr

Commander
yup same - only upgraded on my non important laptop, still exploring it

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
did they get rid of all the bloatware?
Of course! MS can’t do a major upgrade without forcing a bunch of useless garbage on users. Also. it has a ton of features applicable only to tablets and phones with touchscreens, not to mention all sorts of ‘apps’ aimed at pulling you deeper into Microsoft’s ecosphere. (Stuff like Microsoft Teams, app store, etc.) It also seems to take longer for the computer to boot. Oh, and it constantly wants you to create or log into a Microsoft account, especially if you want to use ‘widgets’ (whatever the heck those are).

I have yet to find anything that seems to be a real improvement.

Last edited:

sam am I

Commander
If it's free (or not?), there's always a catch, "by downloading and using you agree to ?????"............I so distrust MS among others

No thanks, not until I have too, (says the man typing away barely able to be here on his XP laptop)

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
All seriousness aside, I'm waiting for the Mac OSX version of it to come out :ROFLMAO:

Win11 is something that folks will eventually have/want to upgrade to. 'We' in the IT group at my work have yet to discuss it, giving it some time for the first set of patches (and maybe even a service pack) to come out.

I suppose if you are buying a new computer for yourself, you may not have a choice.

southkogs

Staff member
I run a Windows partition on my Mac for some CAD software I work with: I will hold off upgrading for a while simply for stability sake. Windows 10 seems to run fine, so why upset that apple cart?

I actually do the same with the MacOs. I was a later adopter of Big Sur and haven't upgraded to Monterey yet.

alldodge

Staff member
The things I would worry about mainly switching over is my current suite of software. Word Perfect office 12 and MS Office 07 and older sets and so far work fine, but looks like MS wants us to go to rent your SW

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
If it's free (or not?), there's always a catch, "by downloading and using you agree to ?????"............I so distrust MS among others

No thanks, not until I have too, (says the man typing away barely able to be here on his XP laptop)

It was free for me, and I thought I read it woud be free if Windows 10 was legitimately/legally installed on your computer. I certainly would not purchase it if I could avoid it.

captmello

Captain

this was why I asked the question. an icon has appeared on the bottom of my screen offering the upgrade.

I imagine Microsoft is looking for people to start using it and finding the flaws.
I, like most, will put it off as long as possible.

sad really...

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Yes avoid Win 11 as it's buggy and doesn't play well with some hardware.

I went from Win XP to another PC with Win 10. I'll wait for a few more versions to come out and hopefully one will be good.

matt167

Captain
Win 10 has a couple more years to go before you need to think about 11. I forget the end of service date. As far as 10, it's still free if you have a Win 7 key that has not yet been used on 10. This is the same game MS played with 10

dwco5051

Commander
Typing this on a old 32bit Dell laptop that the hard drive got corrupted so I run it on Linux off a usb flash drive. Does 75% of what I need. Windows 10 in my office on an older machine that was upgraded from 8.1 or something like that. My back up office computer is running XPsp1 does 90% of what I need. My wife's laptop if a Chromebook. Still using Office 97 and never saw any reason to upgrade. The business computer in which I am still sort of a silent partner is all on a couple of years old MAC but I never have to touch it, I just fix the broken equipment, trucks and trailers. My biggest problem out here in the boonies I am on a slow DSL connection. I help a friend out in Indiana with a two hour gospel bluegrass show and sending two hours of audio back and forth is a slow process. Guess I am somewhat of a Luddite as I still miss Windows 3.1. Windows 11 only if I have no other choice.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Typing this on a old 32bit Dell laptop that the hard drive got corrupted so I run it on Linux off a usb flash drive. Does 75% of what I need. Windows 10 in my office on an older machine that was upgraded from 8.1 or something like that. My back up office computer is running XPsp1 does 90% of what I need. My wife's laptop if a Chromebook. Still using Office 97 and never saw any reason to upgrade. The business computer in which I am still sort of a silent partner is all on a couple of years old MAC but I never have to touch it, I just fix the broken equipment, trucks and trailers. My biggest problem out here in the boonies I am on a slow DSL connection. I help a friend out in Indiana with a two hour gospel bluegrass show and sending two hours of audio back and forth is a slow process. Guess I am somewhat of a Luddite as I still miss Windows 3.1. Windows 11 only if I have no other choice.
You are the FIRST person I’ve ever heard of who is pining for Win 3.1!

briangcc

Commander
Here's a few things to consider....

1. Windows 10 is dead (eol) in 2025. You have 3 years yet for Microsoft to work out the kinks in Windows 11.

2. May not install correctly on older hardware. There's a specific set of pre-reqs that unless your PC is a couple years old (less than say 3 years) there's every chance it won't meet the criteria to install Windows 11. It will tell you this if you try and will gracefully back out of the upgrade.

3. For common tasks, Windows 11 might be fine. I work engineering/manufacturing and can say with certainty that some apps will crash Windows 11 hard. To the point where a system restore was necessary to get Windows functioning again. Looking at you Mastercam.

4. A lot of stuff is moved. Finding it can be a chore. Google is your friend here as you can get Windows 11 to bend...somewhat...to your desires. The built in Windows search isn't half bad for getting you there either.

IF you're in IT OR prefer to be on the bleeding edge of technology and don't mind dealing with bugs....sure install Windows 11. Advice would be to backup regularly or create restore points.

IF you have older hardware (pc, laptop, tablet, printers) and do not have a pressing need to do so, wait until you are required to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.