Will that paint stripper damage the Gel coat.

dinikin

Seaman
Previous owner painted sides and the bottom with automotive paint or else, i don't know.
That paint is blistering and peeling off.
What type of paint strip/remover should I use?

How will new gel coat react with paint stripper? Will paint remover be easy to wash off once done?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Will that paint stripper damage the Gel coat.

Use a paint stripper for fiberglass, and follow instructions to minimize damage to gelcoat.

This begs the question, are you expecting not to repaint the boat, after you strip it? I will think you will need to repaint

dinikin

Seaman

Forgot to mention that gelcoat has been painted over with some paint.

Boat will be repainted with new gel coat,

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Automotive paint only peels off if the prep work was poor, so if the paint is peeling use a pressure washer to take off as much as possible, sometimes almost all of it will come off with one.

drewpster

Commander

Automotive paint only peels off if the prep work was poor

I bet the surface was never dewaxed.

I have used CitriStrip Paint remover from the hardware store on my boat. It worked well with no ill effects to the surface. It is citrus based, environmentally friendly, and smells like orange. Dab it on (do not brush) the surface, keep it wet by adding more and let it work. Remove it along with the paint using a plastic scraper. Wash with water to remove it. Do a final cleaning with dewaxer or thinner and your done. works good!