Why is this knot in my rode...?

Varago

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Why is this knot in my rode...?

Back when I was a young one, I did a lot of fishing with my parents we had a loop like that for a temp tie off of the anchor when we moved a short distence. We did this to keep from pulling the chain and anchor over the boat time and time again.

Dave

pontoonokie

Seaman Apprentice

i had a knot like this on my boat and like previously stated i used it close to bank .. i keep the boat in about 8 to ten foot of water to keep it from coming ashore.. plus it keep the little kids from getting on it and playing.. the rust may have come from a clip i had one on mine to quick connect to the bow ring.. it is handy.. ???
just my $.02

Ned L

Commander

If it were me I'd do what I can to carefully remove the knot. Any knot like that will noticably reduce the tensile strength of the rode. The knot is also a target for abraision, further reducing the tensile strength.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Back when I was a young one, I did a lot of fishing with my parents we had a loop like that for a temp tie off of the anchor when we moved a short distence. We did this to keep from pulling the chain and anchor over the boat time and time again.

Dave

This actually makes good sense!

Another great reason to leave it....:)

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

If it were me I'd do what I can to carefully remove the knot. Any knot like that will noticably reduce the tensile strength of the rode. The knot is also a target for abraision, further reducing the tensile strength.

Good point!

But I have to think about this...I'm kind of getting real 'attached' to it! ;)

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe he used the loop to help his kids reach the bottom to retrieve his keys?