Why I do not have new boats.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Your old prof was probably referring to Moore's Law which states that computer processing power essentially doubles every two years.
Back then the mainframe was twice the size of my house and we were using punch cards to do the programming. I said "technology" because it was in my mind based on previous posts. What I should have said was "scientific knowledge".

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Overheard a customer at a dealer .----Enquiring about repairs to steering on a fairly new ( fly by wire ) outboard motor.----About $500 each for new sensors and 6 hrs labor.-----Gone are the days where you could buy a " tiller cable " kit at $15.95 and install it yourself.-----This new technology is great when it works.
In the olden days there were always points that needed dressing and plugs that needing replacing. My worst tune-up experience was when I got a defective condenser. The guy at the electric shop that tested it for me said it was a one-in-a-million defect.

My personal experience is that back then I was always tinkering. Now, the new technology has been trouble-free (at least for me). At my age I don't need hassle. OK, if it costs a zillion bucks to replace a module, I figure its simply the price of convenience.

flashback

Captain
Overheard a customer at a dealer .----Enquiring about repairs to steering on a fairly new ( fly by wire ) outboard motor.----About $500 each for new sensors and 6 hrs labor.-----Gone are the days where you could buy a " tiller cable " kit at $15.95 and install it yourself.-----This new technology is great when it works.
Or hoist a sail!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I do a lot of sailing.----Buddy just put a new mainsail on a 36' boat.-----Black material , high tech racing sail.----Said to have cost around $9,000 US

flashback

Captain
I'll get back to the original post, why I don't have a new boat....I can't afford it!

flashback

Captain
I do a lot of sailing.----Buddy just put a new mainsail on a 36' boat.-----Black material , high tech racing sail.----Said to have cost around $9,000 US
Yea and last a year or two. Sails are expensive.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I'll get back to the original post, why I don't have a new boat....I can't afford it!
Good answer.

Back when I was a college kid, Grandma died and Grandpa sold the boat. I NEEDED a boat.

I got a second job and saved and saved and saved. I still couldn't afford a boat.

With Grandpa's help, and the use of his garage, I BUILT a wooden runabout. Problem solved.

That old boat (my first) was new. After that some of the things I "needed" took a little extra effort.

airshot

Vice Admiral
I carry a can aboard and use it when circumstances require it. Down on my knees aft and my saying is: "I'm going to check the motor." The wife has seen it before and the boys do the same.

Today, I was out fishing by myself. NO one in sight. To heck with the can. One hand on the bimini and the boat lists just the right amount. About half way thru a gofast comes chugging by (behind me thankfully) and the wake caused some uncontrolled directional fluid flow.

I cleaned up the yellow spots on the side deck as soon as i got home.
That is the reason I carry one of those urinal containers like hospitals have. I found one with a large opening so women can use it if needed. No more cleaning up uncontrolled streams. I have found there to be no boats in sight until you gotta pee !

airshot

Vice Admiral
In the olden days there were always points that needed dressing and plugs that needing replacing. My worst tune-up experience was when I got a defective condenser. The guy at the electric shop that tested it for me said it was a one-in-a-million defect.

My personal experience is that back then I was always tinkering. Now, the new technology has been trouble-free (at least for me). At my age I don't need hassle. OK, if it costs a zillion bucks to replace a module, I figure its simply the price of convenience.
I don't mind tinkering at all, keeps me busy and the old brain working. When I buy new, I get to concerned with scratches or getting things dirty, takes away the fun ! Buying used means I don't worry about scratches and getting it dirty. Not a fan of the newest and latest electronic gizmos that cost a fortune. Having been a boater for over 60 years, I like to think I know what to look for when buying used, can honestly say, I have never ended up with a lemon in all these years.

aspeck

Staff member
I could afford a new boat in the size and type I want, but I refuse to spend that amount of money on something I can’t use every day. (And will depreciate way to fast ... same reason I don't buy new cars and trucks).

Last edited:

ScottinAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
And that’s the bottom line for everyone that doesn’t own a “new” boat.

Fun reading all the other excuses thou….lol

yeah. that pretty much sums it up... Add that I enjoy working on things, it allows me to "enjoy" them when not actually using them for their intended purpose.... Since I seem to collect boats that need floors/transoms, I must have some weird fiberglass fetish....

DeepCMark58A

Commander
And that’s the bottom line for everyone that doesn’t own a “new” boat.

Fun reading all the other excuses thou….lol
My dad taught me as a young man that purchasing a brand new car is a terrible investment, I used that approach in life when purchasing wants and needs. I have always been somewhat frugal and invest in things that do not depreciate at a rapid pace. I guess my "excuses" have lead me to a very secure lifestyle as I age.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The only way anyone can buy a used boat is if someone originally bought it new. Thus, the oldies must continue to encourage the newbees.

ScottinAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
The only way anyone can buy a used boat is if someone originally bought it new. Thus, the oldies must continue to encourage the newbees.
there is always someone out there that needs the latest/greatest/newest/shiniest out there... then there are those of us who buy those toys at a deep discount when the luster wears off, and have just as much fun with the toy, but laugh all the way to the bank when we dont have an exorbitant payment... Those of us like this that can wrench on our own stuff doubly so....

flashback

Captain
i wouldn't have the current boat if someone had not given it to me, I spent a few k getting it running, Its more boat than I need.

alldodge

Staff member
Is there anyone that if they won or came into a 10 million in the bank would not buy a new boat or car?

Remember, Grand Dad always said, the first lair doesn't stand a chance

Comes down to how much you have been able to build over time. If you have been able to build a good size nest egg then buying new is not that much of an issue. If you have not been able to do that then it is an issue