Why I do not have new boats.

Pmt133

Chief Petty Officer
I don't know. The 33 was "gifted" to us in 2010. It had 36 hours on it. And even then we were kind of like... We don't really need it. Looking back, no sane person would've had that thought cross their mind.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Is there anyone that if they won or came into a 10 million in the bank would not buy a new boat or car?

Remember, Grand Dad always said, the first lair doesn't stand a chance

Comes down to how much you have been able to build over time. If you have been able to build a good size nest egg then buying new is not that much of an issue. If you have not been able to do that then it is an issue
I have a good size next egg because I didn't dip in for new toys.I could not justify a $100,000 ski boat that gets used less than 20 days during the summer no matter how much $ I have.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Is there anyone that if they won or came into a 10 million in the bank would not buy a new boat or car?

Remember, Grand Dad always said, the first lair doesn't stand a chance

Comes down to how much you have been able to build over time. If you have been able to build a good size nest egg then buying new is not that much of an issue. If you have not been able to do that then it is an issue
I don't need a new boat or car, so If I won a million, I would go on a spending spree:

$1M to each of my kids.
$1M to St. Jude.
$1M to Shriners.
$1M to Tunnels to Towers
$1M to Wounded Warriors.
$1M added to my retirement savings.

With what's left:

* Whatever needed for a waterfront residence on a freshwater lake.
* Take a world cruise.
* Divide the rest equally for the 4 charities listed above.

azservices

Recruit
I was glancing at some end of summer sales from a nearby boat dealer. They had Scarabs that were like $23k from $50k and I was like wow that’s a good deal. I clicked on it and they are little 15’ Jet boats that fell out of style 20 years ago. I wouldn’t mind having one of those little jet boats to toy around with but not bad enough to spend $25k.. even when they pop up for like $2,500 for an older one I’m like meh.

My little StarCraft is the best of both worlds. It’s practically new, even if it was made in the mid 60s.

Last edited:

FLATHEAD

Captain
Always seems to be good deals on very nice used boats if you look around. Why not save the cost difference verses new. Last brand new boat I bought was at least 20 years ago. Been through a pile of boats since then all used and none of them gave me much grief.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
During Covid, we were all housebound. People were going crazy.

Some bought pools and now they are green because they didn't know how to care for them.

Some bought boats and many were even more clueless. I would imagine that many of them did not give them the care that they deserved, simply BECAUSE they were clueless.

At the time the waters were deluged with clueless boaters. Glad we were retired so we could do our boating on weekdays when the clueless newbees were not a hazard on the waterways.

Now, we can go wherever again. Many of the Covid boaters actually found out that boating was not for them anyway. Lots of newer second hand boats for sale now.

Now is the worst time to buy a newtome boat right now.....JMHO.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My dad taught me as a young man that purchasing a brand new car is a terrible investment, I used that approach in life when purchasing wants and needs. I have always been somewhat frugal and invest in things that do not depreciate at a rapid pace. I guess my "excuses" have lead me to a very secure lifestyle as I age.
Sounds like we took two very different paths, yet ultimately ended up where we wanted to be.

I could be the poster boy for a Dave Ramsey “what not to do” poster yet somehow exceeded all goals in the long run.

My only regret in life will be if…..Mrs. Dingbat sells my toys when I’m gone for what I told her they cost me…….lol

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I suppose I might? Not a slam dunk though, and it still wouldn't be fancy. But it would have to be enough money that no matter what I did I couldn't spend it. Otherwise I have different priorities. 10 mill still probably isn't enough for that.