WHy don't people buy Proper Tow Vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uraijit

Banned
Re: WHy don't people buy Proper Tow Vehicles?

Even with brakes, a rig like that will never stop the same as an unloaded truck. With any increase in weight, there will be an increase in stopping distance.
My biggest gripe is the idiot that pulls out in front of a fully loaded rig and expects them to stop or give way. Whether its an eighteen wheel rig, one ton pickup with a 10,000 lb trailer, or a small pickup with an aluminum jon boat, the vehicle will handle different with a trailer and other drivers need to be aware that that vehicle will need more room to stop.
Even if you add a 1,000 lb boat and trailer behind a full size pickup, it's going to increase stopping distance substantially, and I've not yet seen a trailer that size with brakes of any sort. There's also no reason for that same boater to feel he needs a full size truck in the first place when a smaller truck or car will do the same job.
If someone wants me to pull my boat with a one ton truck with brakes, their more than welcome to buy me one and pay the fuel bill, meanwhile, I'll do just fine with my 18 year old Ford Ranger 4 banger.

Nobody said you need a 1-ton truck to pull a 1000# trailer. But pulling above the rated towing capacity (in reality, even pulling more than 80% or so) is not only stupid and dangerous, it'll probably end up costing you more in the long run. In fuel, maintenance and repairs, and damages when you end up trashing someone else's property.

And nobody's disputing that there is a problem of idiots pulling out in front of trailering rigs. ALL THE MORE REASON TO HAVE A PROPER TOW VEHICLE. People pull jackass stunts all the time while I'm towing, but I'm confident that my 8000# tow-rated Tahoe, with a 5000# boat/trailer combo (with surge brakes) WILL stop quickly when needed. I'm also confident that my stopping distances are pretty comparable whether towing or not. I've had plenty of opportunity to give this a real-world litmus test.

If you can't afford a proper tow vehicle for your boat, you, quite simply, can't afford to boat. PERIOD!

What's the big mystery? :confused:

Andy in NY

Commander

Exactly... a tow vehicle should be part of the cost factor of owning a boat.

bandit86

Banned

so I shouldn't tow my 24ft aftcabin with my ford tempo? I added an tranny oil cooler and crossdrilled rotors

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

I guess you wouldn't call this a good tow vehicle then...

boatandcar.jpg

cribber

Lieutenant

I guess you wouldn't call this a good tow vehicle then...

If it works for you, good deal!!! It looks level and if ya can pull it back up the ramp consistently, I'd say enjoy.

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

I have no trouble what so ever even at steep launch ramps

cribber

Lieutenant

There ya go!!! Front wheel drive can have an advantage when your drive wheels are out of the slime on the ramps and can pull it out of the water without slipping. It's all about weight and what ya need to move... As long as they are balanced, you should be good to go.

Getting something to move is to start low and slow.

Andy in NY

Commander

If it works for you, good deal!!! It looks level and if ya can pull it back up the ramp consistently, I'd say enjoy.

I have no trouble what so ever even at steep launch ramps

There ya go!!! Front wheel drive can have an advantage when your drive wheels are out of the slime on the ramps and can pull it out of the water without slipping. It's all about weight and what ya need to move... As long as they are balanced, you should be good to go.

Getting something to move is to start low and slow.

This is EXACTLY what is being talked about.

It is NOT about traction at the ramp.

It is NOT about being able to pull it.

It is ALL about being able to STOP it.

IMO, a compact or even midsize car has NO BUSINESS towing anything other than a small utility trailer.

I got into it with my brother in law the other night because he doesn't understand why I bought the vehicle I did to replace my Taurus. He doesn't get it that a car just doesnt have the stopping power of a larger vehicle, and generally can't handle it.

Timdan94, what is your car rated to tow? I am willing to bet that it is between 1000 and 1500 lbs...

With a boat weighing in right around there you are really pushing your luck.

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

its a subaru so it is all wheel drive and it is rated at 2700 lbs towing...

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

Timdan,

that's a nice little setup you've got there. I'm sure it stops fine. I used to use my 1998 Buick Century to pull a 16' outboard and it did great.

I still regularly pull 1000 pounds with my Buick, it has a class II hitch on it.

James

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The thing about a thread like this is how critical some people are about things they have no knowledge of, then it just turns into a lecture. If you want to to your 14ft tinny with a 1 ton pickup, fine, more power to you. For those of us who tow with smaller vehicles (suvs, cars, mini trucks, and vans), we might just know what our tow vehicle is capable of, and maybe you don't. The OP of this thread used to tow with a fullsize bronco, I used to too, but it was the worst tow vehicle I've used to pull my boat so far. My chevy Astro van is much better, and yes, I do also tow the boat with my '93 Trans am, which pulls, drives, and stops with the boat alot better than that short wheelbase bronco ever could. I guess it just irritates me how arrogant people can be when it comes to this topic, what makes them such experts in the field of towing, that they feel justified to criticise others who don't do it as they do? I personally think this thread should've been locked or deleted a long time before it became this Pee-pee contest.

CATransplant

Admiral

Well, as long as your vehicle is rated to tow the boat you have, I can't see the problem. There are some folks, unfortunately, who believe that nothing short of a 1-ton F350 or a Suburban can tow anything at all. They're wrong, but they're welcome to pull whatever they want with their monster truck.

Me? I tow a little 12' aluminum boat. Total weight of the whole outfit is about 750 lb, if that. I tow it with my GMC Jimmy or my 1991 Volvo 740 station wagon. Both are rated to tow that and more.

Heck, I'd tow that boat with a 1965 Volkswagen Beetle or a Yugo.

There's a lot of macho in evidence on this topic. The only thing that doesn't make any sense is towing a big boat that's too heavy for the rating of the tow vehicle. Beyond that, who cares. If your vehicle is rated to tow the load you have to tow, tow away.

winenut

Seaman

We had a Honda Pilot that was rated to tow 4500 lbs (which was odd to me because the regular towing load if it wasn't a boat was 3500 lbs...I guess it has to do with wind resistance) and it towed our 3100 lb. boat just fine...until we got to a very wet and slimy green boat ramp. Not good. Front wheel drive, too much weight on the tongue, I think. Anyway, we traded it in for a Honda Ridgeline which is rated for 5000 lbs. with the tow package and 4WD and have had no problems. My husband is much happier now that he has a more manly vehicle, lol. :D

45Auto

Commander

From post #181:

but I'm confident that my 8000# tow-rated Tahoe, with a 5000# boat/trailer combo (with surge brakes) WILL stop quickly when needed. I'm also confident that my stopping distances are pretty comparable whether towing or not.

I guess "quickly" is relative. Compared to a semi it probably stops pretty quickly. And yeah, your stopping distances are comparable. They can both measured in feet. Kind of like saying that your height is comparable to the distance to the moon. They can also both be measured in feet. Doesn't mean that they're anywhere close to the same distance.

In the real world your Tahoe hauling 5000 pounds (with trailer brakes) will take around an extra 50% in distance to stop, regardless of your confidence and feelings. This has been verified by countless tests of SUV's, trucks, and cars in boating and towing magazines using REAL measurements! Here's one on a Tahoe with a 5000 pound load:

http://www.boatingmag.com/article.asp?section_id=11&article_id=1141

Notice how the 60-0 braking distance goes from 140 (unloaded) to 224 feet with the 5000 pound boat? That's about 9 car lengths unloaded, and about 14 car lengths with the boat on the back. Look at any of the other tests of any kind of tow vehicle. You'll see the same thing. A 4WD Dodge Ram Hemi (9200 lb capacity) goes from 136 feet to 249 feet with a 5000 lb boat. A Nissan Titan 4WD King Cab (9400 lb capacity) goes from 135 feet unloaded to 222 feet with the 5000 lb boat.

Looks like to me the most important factor in a "proper" tow vehicle is knowing the capabilities of your combined system (vehicle and boat combined). Doesn't do you much good to have a killer tow vehicle if you think it stops "quickly" or "comparably" with or without your boat on the back.

CATransplant

Admiral

Excellent point. Stopping distance is always increased with an increased load, no matter what. Allowing a proper distance from vehicles in front of you and anticipating things like traffic lights and stop signs are very important parts of towing.

I know I've seen several boats being towed missing getting stopped at a traffic signal and getting into the intersection. I just always figure the guy in front of me is just about to slam on his brakes and that the light ahead is bound to change on me. Keeps me out of trouble.

hemidoc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I now have a Dodge 2500 4x4 cummins diesel.

It tows the boat just fine :)

I have that same problem. Just buying fuel sucks but I also tow our 30' rv with it.

turborich

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Many years ago I was at the lake with a friend. He was in line to launch his boat. A 1950 something chevy truck with a manual trans was trying to pull a pretty large boat out. Probally about a 26' or so. This truck just couldn't do it & it just kept creeping further into the water until his entire bed was underwater & the cab was flooded! You could hear his clutch slipping in the water. A guy with a diesel hooked up a tow strap & pulled everything out. I really thought that truck was going all the way under.

mthieme

Captain

I'm sure it has something to do with money.
Personally, I can't see going through life without a pickup truck.

Once, my neighbor ran down to the ramp with a camera when I decided to use my vintage 1945 Farmall farm tractors to launch with. Do not do this at home...great for pulling out, not good for launching. It was the only time I stood up on the tractor - tractors do not have a sophisticated braking system!

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Was limping along at around 45mph on the interstate. Boat had twin drives and looked to be too much for a Tundra....

011.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.