Why do you stay on iboats?

Admin5

Senior Chief Petty Officer
With a few long-time members contemplating leaving your iboats family because of various reasons, I thought it might be a refreshing idea for the rest of us to post why we enjoy coming here day after day, month after month, etc.<br /><br />As for me, I work here. ;) <br /><br />PS - 2004 Jan 1 New Year's resolution update: I stated that I was going to lose some serious poundage. So far I have averaged 4+ days going to the gym early in the morning per week, lost 30 pounds of fat and gained 8 pounds of muscle (get body fat measured every week). I have dropped 4 waist sizes. 18 more pounds to go to get to my ultimate goal.

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: Why do you stay on iboats?

Most of the peoiple here are REAL. They say whats on there mind. The people here are the silent majority. I also enjoy the opposing views. The jokes are great. I don't know anything about boats so i look for info in that section. I know alot about everything else so I contribute when I can. Most of all I like the mods:) That is how you suck up right?

bubbakat

Captain

First let me congratulate you on the success with the weight loss program.<br /><br />Now I come to iboats because of the tech topics.<br />(and to see what is on sale)<br />I read every new post on the tech. forms because I am always interested in how to repair things concerning outboards.<br />I read these first and then come to Dockside chat and read there. Some times I chime in but most I don't. I always figured enough has been said without me.<br />Well I have done business with iboats in the past and will continue to.<br />But I really like the forum here and the people,

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Living in suburbia far from the crowds,iboats gives me a feel of what the other americans are like.Sometimes I hope that behind the stage name there is just a stage appearance.The political extremism scares me,but obviously it is out there.<br />I love the fishing chatroom and I learned more about old outboards here than I ever thought possible.

FLATHEAD

Captain

I first came here for some tech info.I was impressed that folks would take some of their own time to help others they don't even know. They have some great info to offer. I drifted over to the dockside and have been hanging out for a while now. I enjoy most of the post. I soon realized there are some real characters here. <br /><br />I really like the fishin board because I love to fish. I also visit the mega mall. As a matter of fact I just ordered a new butt seat for my fishin boat.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Good going on getting you body healthier Admin5. Just takes lots of ambition and motivation to acheieve your goals. Keep up the good work.<br /><br />I stay around here because I thought this was the only boating forum. Isn't it? Lots of Good laughs, advice, real life stories and some heart felt moments of others sorrow. There is lots of different opinions that opens your eyes to venues that you wouldn't have thought of. At least that is the way I look at the iboats forum.<br /><br />I would list the members that I feel are solely responsible for keeping my attention to this site, but I don't want to hurt anyones feelings for forgetting to mention their names. <br /><br />Keep up the good work, cause I'm going to hang around til who know when!<br /><br /> :D :D

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I check in almost every time i am on the computer .I mostly share with others by answering questions they may have about things I have learned the hard way.It is my pleasure to make a job that some one may be dreading to do, an easier time than they thought.I also have limitations in my capabilities and post questions that I need answers to.I also find it enjoyable to see how others proceed to solve problems and learn tricks of the trade from others.I look forward to logging on almost every day.I have helped and recieved help.Cant imagine why anyone would leave?? Charlie

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Flahthead:<br />As a matter of fact I just ordered a new butt seat for my fishin boat.
WOW!!! Did not know they made them that big. :p <br />Sorry FH, could not resist. :D

LubeDude

Admiral

I first came here because my boat wasnt running right. (it still isnt) and it has been several months now, but I think we are narrowing it down.<br /><br />I saw that I knew the answers to several questions so I started posting. I guess I keep coming back because I like the abuse.<br /><br />I have a broad background, so I figure I can share my experience and experiences with others and hopefully help someone along the way.<br /><br />I have grown in the way I look and answer posts. I had never been a forum member before. Its good getting to know some of the other members.

FLATHEAD

Captain

SBN,,,Whatta ya mean "THAT BIG" I'll have you know my wife says I have a cute "LITTLE" Butt. :D Its the belly that seems to be growing :eek:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by Flahthead:<br /> SPN,,,Whatta ya mean "THAT BIG" I'll have you know my wife says I have a cute "LITTLE" Butt. :D Its the belly that seems to be growing :eek:
It's SBN thank you very much. :p <br />Oh, you have that problem too? :D

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

I return because it's like a great big family with a common interest. With the varied posts we share the good times, the bad times, the great jokes, the advice, and the opportunity to learn from each other and to share the expertise that each member has to provide. The anonymity of the keyboard allows folks of all walks of life to meet on a level playing field. :cool:

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Way to go Admin5.. :) <br /><br />Why am I here? Dunno why, exactly... Sure beats the heck outta TV...<br /><br />One thing's for sure, I do like to give SNB a hard time.... :p heheheee.... j/k buddy... :p <br /><br />Bunch of good folks here...

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> Way to Admin5.. :) <br /><br />Why am I here? Dunno why, exactly... Sure beats the heck outta TV...<br /><br />One thing's for sure, I do like to give SNB a hard time.... :p heheheee.... j/k buddy... :p <br /><br />Bunch of good folks here...
Heres another one, it's SBN dang nabbit. :p

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

I came to Iboats as a new boat owner in Jan 2004. I found the members very knowledgable to my questions. I have learned a lot from the members here.<br /><br />I played Everquest for 4 years, being addicted to that 6 hours or more a day. I was on various Evercrack forums. The flaming and such that goes on those forums is relentless. Most of the forums even have "flame" threads.<br /><br />But like any other forum, I take it with a grain of salt. I dont know those folks except thru a keyboard. Oh we can look at sentance structure, number of misspelled words, topic, etc to form an opinion of a poster. <br /><br />It appears most of the folks here are middle class, run of the mill folks. Were the backbone of american society and culture.

Link

Rear Admiral

First Congrads on keeping with the new years resolution.<br />Like most was looking for information and after posting, I started reading and could not believe how far the people would go to help someone they had never met. Got my answer the next day with I "think" 3 Welcome to IBOATS!<br />Most other forums are not like that.<br />Bottom line it is the people here. <br />And getting to know them in real life if you will.<br />This happens in all the areas on this board.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> never really thought much about it. I guess cause I have a small amount of training and experience and I can sometimes help out. and my girlfriend is venezuelan and it takes her a long time to type on yahoo so I have time to surf while chatting. but it also gives me a way to keep myself sharp as well as help others. boating aint cheap. no sense in someone making it more expensive. but I really dont get involved in bubba W chats or the so called "war" on terror that cannot exist. so that is about mostly why I stay. that and to see who is going to call whom what :) :) <br />yall have a nyce day now ya heah

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I came here because my outboard was giving me problems and nobody in my area would work on it because of its age. I learned a lot about outboards and now like to share that knowledge with people who are having problems with their motors. I have made some friends here because of Iboats chat and am attending the 2nd annual Iboats reunion in Watts Bar Tenn and am going muskie fishing with Gonfishn in June. I do wish Iboats would start a political forum so I could avoid it. I like dockside chat but the politics have caused me to stay away from it.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I came here originally to share my previous project, then my last project. For me, its all about the torn up sorry arse boats people want to fix up. I find it difficult to go a day without checking at least once to see if any new projects or progress on current projects have occured. I learned quickly that the religious and political topics are what I need to avoid now, my ulcer has appreciated it ever since...Although I rarely have questions, I know I can get the answer here, and I always hope someone benefits from my own personal experiences, whatever they may be. I have been here a long time, and I doubt I'll be going anywhere anytime soon....