Who works the night shift?

eeboater

Commander
Re: Who works the night shift?

Stiff:<br /><br />Sounds like a fun job..> But, at that hour of the day, do you think it could get old... fast?! Good luck!<br /><br />Sean

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Forget about the shift, that job is real nasty. Disaster recovery testing is stressful. They want it to work and work now. And work without any glitches. And reduce the amount of time it takes to recover. And on and on and on. Some times you sit for hours or days with nothing to do because an off-site stored backup can't be found for your test. Other time its rush, rush, rush. <br /><br />If you can, talk to people who already do that job and see what they think. I've done it and I think it sucks. <br /><br />Just my 2¢.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

It can go one of three ways: You'll love it, tolerate it, or hate it. Especially if you have a family, unless you LOVE it you won't probably stay with it. Or if you do years later you'll wonder why in the world you did.<br /><br />No more night shifts, and no more night call outs for me. I'm done with that stupidity. Now I have a life. I make much less money, and I wouldn't go back even if they DOUBLED my old wage which was already nearly double what I make now.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Been there done that and I personally would preferred the 1st shift. Day time is for me.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks everyone for the opinions, a lot to think about. Wife is OK with it since I'll have the evenings and weekends with her and the kid. Definitely a lot to think about though. I'm going to go on the interview and get a feel for things, weight out salary and benefits and commute and everything else. Thanks again and if anyone else has anything else to add please do.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Well, Steve, it loloks like I'm going to consider a career-shift myself. I love my current job, and am not the "job-hoppin" type---I've only werked my present job for 16months.<br />But I got an offer I could not refuse, so I too, am going to at least fill out the app, and go for an interview.<br />It's hard to say "no" to 4buks more per hour and a company wehicle for transportation :rolleyes:

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah roscoe I read that. <br /><br />Like I said lots to consider. I won't really be able to make a decision on this until I see what the job is like and that's tomorrow. I'm not being pushed out of where I am so I still have a job if I decide to not go for the new one.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by brother chris:<br /> Tell me...who LIKES to get up early in the morning. Not me!
Ummm, well...there ARE morning folks, and I admit to being one...I love early mronings, absolutely detest working nights and weekends...had a job once going in ad 2:30AM and going home at 11AM...not too bad, but it was the extreme for me...I prefer 6AM to 2:30PM...love evenings at home witht he family and ll my normal friends who are off then also...love getting up early before most folks and having a quiet cuppa java, hearing the early birds whistling int eh trees outside...yep, gotta love those early mornings...can't sleep past 8AM even if I tried, and most of the time can't sleep past 6:30 - 7AM...even on weekends...

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Well I am definitely NOT a morning person and never have been. I did like working the 7a-3p shift just because I was home by 4:00pm, but getting up at 5:00 to get to work for 7:00 sucked. <br /><br />Worst case I try it out, and if it's that bad at least my days will be open for interviews! :)

Stratosfied

Ensign

Stiff, thats exactly what I did on one job, I asked for the night shift after I had been there awhile. Funny thing is they said they needed some good help on the 11-7. What they didn't know, is that it was for me to look for another job during the day. ;)

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

18 years of permanent night shift thus far. I work as a nurse and love it. Wouldn't change it for anything in the world job wise.<br />I get to bed as soon as I come home and wake about 2pm each day. I work with folk who can't sleep well and experience all sorts of problems so there's obviously those who can't physically stay awake. Thats when its downright dangerous and they should stop. <br />If you're going to do nights then listen to your body closely, when you feel tired, sleep. When you feel restless, walk or cut firewood or something to keep busy. <br />For me the most difficult thing has been safety. Although I work just 2km from home I'm not there through the night. My wife has always missed that. <br />Ross

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I do admit that some days this night shift stinks. For me there are a lot of good and bad points of night shift for me.