Whine sound coming from the fuel pumps?

Brad250

Cadet
I have a very loud whine coming from the fuel pumps. Had it in the shop Tuesday morning. Changed all the plugs after winter storage. Was mentioned to me about replacing the fuel pumps as they have a whine to them. I said to get a price and availability. Took it out on Tuesday evening no problems. Then Wednesday evening launched the boat. Warmed up at the dock as I parked the truck. Idled out of the marine kicked it up to about 5 knots to clear the harbour and then giving it throttle to get up on plane it Boggs right down and almost stalls until I pull it back to to neutral. Idles fine, goes in gear fine, and then does it again when I give it throttle. 5-8 knots back to the marina and pulled it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

dubs283

Vice Admiral
giving it throttle to get up on plane it Boggs right down and almost stalls until I pull it back to to neutral. Idles fine, goes in gear fine, and then does it again when I give it throttle. 5-8 knots back to the marina and pulled it out.

What is the high/low fuel pump pressures?

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
What engine? How many hours? Fuel pumps may be getting clogged from internal peeling paint but need a little more information to properly help.

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If it is indeed fuel pump whine on an MPI engine, it most likely is due to internal peeling paint is clogging up your system which causes the fuel pump to overwork and whine and may account for the symptoms. The peeling paint clogs your fuel pressure regulator and injectors. Here is a post I did some years ago when I had the dreaded whine Link

Also, if you do not already have it, get yourself a fuel pressure gauge, about $30 fm Amazon, eBay, local store. Be sure it fits Schrader test port if MPI engine. They are easy to use and will be a great help in diagnosing fuel issue. Here is one on Amazon for less than $25 and can have it in a day Link