What's the right way to do this?

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 13, 2003
Messages
529
Here is what the bow of my boat looks like as it is, only I dont have the gel coat/webbing, I had carpet.<br /><br />
44.jpg
<br /><br />I am thinking of adding these side boxes to my boat:<br /><br />
36.jpg
<br /><br />and another view (without cushions):<br /><br />
14.jpg
<br /><br />and one last angle:<br /><br />
03bwfishb.jpg
<br /><br />My current boat was purchased without this option, and I think I would prefer to have them because they offer additional storage and seating.<br /><br />How should I go about bracing these boxes, and glassing them in?<br /><br />My main concern is the fact that if I use screws on the gunnels, they will go right threw. So, I will need to support the gunnel side with nothing more then epoxy gluing and fiberglassing, with cleats glued down for support, if the need be.<br /><br />I could anchor into the vertical face of the front deck, no problem there. I could also anchor to the floor on the inside with cleats, and glass the outside with a putty fillet and a tape seam.<br /><br />What would you recommend?<br /><br />I am considering doing this while I have the interior out of the boat.<br /><br />If actual pictures of my boat (so you can see the structure) would help, let me know.<br /><br />Thanks!<br />Shawn
 

crab bait

Captain
Joined
Feb 5, 2002
Messages
3,831
Re: What's the right way to do this?

i'd epoxy two 1x1 or 1x2 P T wood strips on hull verticle .. duct tape or wood lenght brace against to other side of hull as per clamp.. <br /><br />next day,, do the other side an the two horizonal pieces.. top & floor.. <br /><br /> pt ply build an carpet.. <br /><br />i think it's a wise move to add boxes.. i love it.. good stowage in a not much used space..<br /><br />don't apply great pressure.. an squeeze all the glue out.. just hold in place.. <br /><br />remove excess squwish glue from ply skin side..
 

pjc

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Jun 29, 2003
Messages
1,856
Re: What's the right way to do this?

IMO avoid pressure treated wood. Use a good fir or hardwood (oak) as suggested above and treat with CPES. CPES is a thinned penetrating epoxy that has anti fungal (rot) additives specifically for wet environments, be it boat or other application.<br /><br />my 2cents.
 

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Joined
Jul 31, 2002
Messages
1,325
Re: What's the right way to do this?

wanna trade boats....I'm almost through with mine and always wanted a bluewave....just couldn't afford one
 

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 13, 2003
Messages
529
Re: What's the right way to do this?

Kelton,<br /><br />I got mine very cheap...and will probably end up selling the outboard that's on it this year, and repowering with a Yamaha 150. It has a 88spl Evinrude on it, and believe it or not it pushes it about 32-35mph. That's awesome for a 90hp on a 19ft boat!<br />If your whaler was a 19', I'd consider it. I'd be an idiot for trading a 19ft boat for a 13ft, especially one that is 30yrs older ;) I like your boat though, nice hull design!<br /><br />As for the tips:<br /><br />I am currently making a drawing with my ideas. I will post it up for you all to constructively criticize
 

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Joined
Jul 31, 2002
Messages
1,325
Re: What's the right way to do this?

cool...post them<br /><br />ps...my boat is 40 years old :D <br /><br />just sprayed new gel-coat today.....say hi to my wife...She's in SA this weekend for a dog show!<br /><br />Later!
 

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 13, 2003
Messages
529
Re: What's the right way to do this?

Kelton, <br /><br />Show pics of the Gelcoat and explain the process a little if you dont mind!!<br /><br />You can email if you want, S_Queeney@hotmail.com<br /><br />There are a few nicks/scrapes in the very bottom of the bluewave from the previous owner, and I was considering re-doing it (just because I always want something to work on, or else I'll get bored with it..)<br /><br />I Was told that it is nearly impossible to do on your own, and that you have to really put a lot of labor into buffing it to make it shine. How did yours turn out?<br /><br />I have painted several cars (worked at a bigtime autobody shop for a while painting and paint-prepping while in high school), and I am definitely not scared with a spray gun. I was told that several people use basic Base/Clear on the hullsides and it last/holds up awesome to the elements...this is what I was planning to do.<br /><br />Here's the picture. Kind of quick and very elementary, but it gets the job done. <br /><br />
storage1.jpg
<br /><br />The red is basically a 1x1 or 1x2 that would be screwed to the hull, and epoxy glued (screws only where I wont puncture the exterior).<br />These will act as bracing to support the lid and the top. On the vertical pieces, I will glue them down, then but another piece to them to form an 'L' so that I can have a surface to screw/glue the face piece to.<br /><br />In the corners, I will probably build a 'truss' or 'brace' to make it a bit more rigid. <br /><br />I will probably construct the face and top as one piece, and then put it on the braces all at once.<br /><br />I really just need to find some cheap plywood or styrofoam and make a model, maybe even cardboard. I'm not sure if I want to make them full length like on the factory ones.<br /><br />I'll let you all know what I decide to do. I will probably try to knock this out this weekend if I do end up going for it. I also want to see how much floor space I'll lose. It may be a little to cramped, and may prevent me from doing it. We'll see.<br /><br />Thanks for the help.<br /><br />Shawn
 

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Joined
Jul 31, 2002
Messages
1,325
Re: What's the right way to do this?

http://www.keltonkrew.com/whaler-restore.htm<br /><br />look at the link above....I need to take photos after shooting the gel.<br /><br />It wasn't hard...granted I will have some wet-sanding to do but this stuff is much tougher than paint....<br /><br />I will start sanding tomorrow....the prep work is the same for paint/gel. the work after for the gel is more labor intensive, but will hold up much better.<br /><br />I sprayed 3 coats of gel (1.5 gallons) for my 13' whaler. in the link above, i put a link to the gun that I used. I wetsanded a 1 x 1 foot section and polished tonight.....looks better than an auto finish!<br /><br />It is not impossible to do on your own if you have the guts to attempt it....you might try the gel paste instead of the whole hull..<br /><br />I too used to work in a major body shop, so the spraying was nothing new, although I used a gravity fed HVLP gun which i've never used before...hardly any overspray. Too bad you're 4 hours away or we could collaborate!<br /><br />email me and I'll give you my phone # (or sene me yours..I have unlimited long distace) and we can talk about it<br /><br />from my experience with paint, it scratches more easily. I sprayed a test board last night, sanded, and polished it...took a screw and tried to scratch....barely could make a mark..with paint, it would have left a nasty scratch...IMO, gel is the only way to go
 

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 13, 2003
Messages
529
Re: What's the right way to do this?

keltonkrew,<br /><br />I was looking at your website earlier today, and think you've got a great scrapbook going for your project!<br /><br />I have a gun that I can use, just need to buy a larger nozzle.<br /><br />I may end up doing this in the future, and I will get ahold of you if I do.<br /><br />Going to bed, going crappie fishing (off the dock)at 5am, and then coming home to work on the boat!
 

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Joined
Jul 31, 2002
Messages
1,325
Re: What's the right way to do this?

If you do, you know how to contact me...Hope your fishing went well....I'm dying to go!!!
 
Top