What's the fastest street-legal car you've driven

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What's the fastest street-legal car you've driven

1973 Dodge Charger small block, far from stock. 1/4 mile ET 8.67 @ 164 mph. Was tagged in Connecticut. Even drove it to work occasionally.

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

2001 Ferrari 360 Modena,<br /><br />1989 Labo ****ach

Purebreed

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 1986 Mustang gt with a blown 306 ci motor.450 rwhp. Goes like a raped ape, and with the cobra brake conversions stops on a dime. Going to run her at the track in a month.

oddjob

Commander

What does a "blown" mean Purebread?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Blown means it has a supercharger. Could also mean a turbo, but he meant a SC.<br /><br />I have been for a ride at 160 MPH in a Ferrari F40. No, he wouldn't let me drive it, but those who know what this is will probably give me a break . . . :D

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

craze1cars, all I can say is, um... is, uh, ........ If I ever had a dream car that would be it. <br /><br />I had a 1975 corvette that I envisioned doing that to. Sold it 2 or 3 years ago. That camaro is beautiful.

dtherrien

Petty Officer 1st Class

1970 Pontiac Grand Prix with 455 would turn sprrdo back to zero<br /><br />1970 Torino GT 351-C built motor...scarey fast<br /><br />1970 AMX balaned and blueprinted 390

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

an Mazda RX7 Turbo 2 with its 1.2litre wankel rotary engine my god it was fast but the brakes were not up to the same standard as the engine and with a top speed of around 150mph in a 14 year old car I was scared!!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

While my ride won't qualify as I was a passenger and not behind the wheel but I will venture that it was the fastest.<br /><br />It was a Menard specially built two seat Indy Race car with 680 hp pushing it around the track. I got a ride in it a couple of days before the St. Petersburg IRL race this spring. I would estimae the top spped down the long strait was about 180 mph. Here she be:<br /><br />
4100245.jpg

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

1964 Cadilac Sedan DeVille<br />429 with a Carter AFB<br /><br />Only did 110 in it. It cornered like a shopping cart, but there was enough room to pitch a tent inside and enough ashtrays for every one to have two.

BIGGUN

Seaman Apprentice

88 Mustang GT with better breathing in and out and bumped timing. 155 MPH on a few occasions.<br /><br />The fastest I've ever gone on the street was on my 90 Suzuki GSXR 750 cammed out, Vance and Hines exhaust (punched hollow), and up jetted 12 sizes. It topped out at 184 MPH. Most recently I've hit 171 on my now sold Ninja ZX7R.<br /><br />That's it for me.<br /><br />Kevin

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

7 years ago I sold my 1970 Mach 1 Mustang. It had a 428 Super Cobra Jet "R" code. I'm not sure what the top speed would be, but it sure was a ground pounder. I sure wish I kept that car. It was a trailer queen, almost too nice to drive, so I couldn't justify keeping it sitting in my garage. Too bad. Since then, that car has at least doubled in value from what I sold it for.<br /><br />I have late model fast cars now, but I don't really count them. I don't ever drive over 120 anymore anyhow. All my cars can do that...

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess I'll add to this. All cars were/are box stock.<br />1971 Thunderbird; very fast, marginal handling, comfortable.<br />1983 Jaguar XJ6; reasonably fast, excellent handling, great touring car but expensive to keep.<br />1997 Lincoln Mark VIII; very (very!) fast, handles like it's on rails. Most comfortable long distance tourer I've owned, I'm going to keep this one.<br />Karen's Cadillac SLS is no slouch in top speed, but it is front wheel drive with the associated handing traits.<br />Bill...