What's the fastest street-legal car you've driven

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: What's the fastest street-legal car you've driven

1967 390 Hurst SC Rambler. 1,512 were made, AM radio, no air, no power anything except for that 390 to the rear end. Straight from the dealer this car would do low 14's. Oh how I loved those days when my dad was a service manager at a dealership. The 1973 Super Gremi with the 304 was a fun car to drive also. <br /><br />However the fastest car I owned was a 1970 Triumph GT6+. At 70 mph it would get 45mpg. I had that car up to 140 with the overdrive off and still had more room on the tach. Wrapped that one around a pole at 70 after a tire blew out. Needless to say that I don't drive fast anymore. God gave me another chance and I'm not going to waste it going fast. :p :D

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

1977 Mercedes 280e, inline 6, 4 speed manual - pure German specs and completely stock - 147 mph on the Autobahn. Not bad for a 4 door sedan.

keelhauled

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1982 Jaguar XJS-HE V12... Still got it. Got up near 150mph before I got scared and backed out of it.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

1978 BMW 633CSI, 4-speed. 130 on the interstate.<br /><br />what I liked most was the acceleration from 60 to 100 was, like, instantaneous.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

I had a '76 Trans-Am that would run an honest 135 mph, but wasn't so quick off the light. I only opened it up all the way one time to find out how fast it would go.<br /><br />The baddest car I ever drove was a '72 SS 454 Chevelle which belonged to my uncle. He pulled the 454 and built a screamin' 375-horse 396 for it with a few goodies added. I never really got after it the couple of times he let me drive it---I was scared of it because it could get away from even an experienced driver---which I was not, really, at least not with cars like that! But I was in it when he opened it up, and it easily reached 160 mph with some throttle left.<br /><br />The same uncle, years before, had a '67 LTD that came with a 289. He got his hands on a supposedly Unser-built 427 marine racing engine from out of Albuquerque and dropped it in. What I remember about it was the yellow block with black heads and three two-barrel carbs. Between transmissions, the thing was an absolute monster on the street. He took me for a ride in that one when I was about 13, and I am not sure even the '72 Chevelle would have kept up with that one. He estimated that it would run at least 160 mph, but transmissions had a habit of blowing up on him.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The problem with me isn't power, or even vehicle dynamics.<br /><br />There are just so few roads in this country that are safe at over 100mph. . . in any vehicle.<br /><br />Yeah, I know that the Interstates are designed for safe high speed driving, but with a few exceptions they are in terrible shape. . . uneven, pitted and patched, not to mention rutted . . . and covered with cars and trucks driven by idiots (the slower-than-me ones) and maniacs (the faster-than-me ones). :D

dogsdad

Lieutenant

I say the same thing about the idiots & maniacs, kinda, JB...everyone in front of me wants to go 40, and everyone in back of me wants to go 80.<br /><br />Can't win, but ya gotta play!<br /><br />-dd-

Skinnywater

Commander

I've driven many, many, very many awesome and exciting vehicles, most were brand new after a PDI or a roadtest after servicing.<br />The SL500 and the V12 SL600. The S600 is a sports car for 5 passengers and luggage.<br />The fastest 0-60 car in production the SLK32AMG Kompressor.<br />And my favorite CLK55AMG, a pure race car with leather.<br />Everyone of theses cars are more than capable of the 151mph they are governed at.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Hard telling which one was fastest. Have 1/4 mile slips from many. I think my 94 Mustang GT was the fastest 1/4 mile card. It was kind of street legal. <br />Here in NE almost anything is street legal as long as it has lights, seats, horn, seat belts and exhaust extending from under the passenger compartment. No emissions laws to tinker with and slow us down.<br />Also built one for a friend back in the day. Found a 1971 oldsmobile Omega hatchback. Pulled the dumpy 120hp inline 6 he had built and replaced it with one of my builds. Dropped in a 455 Rocket. Won't go into details, but sunk over $4,000 into the engine and another $2500 into the tranny and clutch. Tried to race brackets but ran too fast. Tried to keep it under 10.9 seconds but kept breaking out so they made us move to the 10.90 class. Didn't want to cage it so dropped from the racing with that one. One time slip we took home showed low 10's, but it could have done more.<br />Back in high school my boss had an old Dodge Super B. Don't remember the year. That one would scoot! 2 friends each had 1968 Camaro's that would move too. <br />fastest one I rode in (never drove) was an old Vega with a big block. All he would say about the engine was a big block and you could see the blower standing out the hood. That thing was so fast that it hurt to ride in it off the line. The pressure on the chest was almost too much!

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

I've never realy driven a car VERY fast, as JB says there are not that many roads where you can and when you do find one the chances are the police have found it before you. I've had the Daimler up around 125 a few times but never for very long.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

My wife's car: '93 Supra 80 series twin turbo.<br />Out of the box, 0 - 100 km/h = 4 seconds. Top speed with the speed limiter off - 300 + km/h. <br />Still just as it left the factory.<br />She drives it to school and back each day. The kids drool over it. They don't get to touch it or she would knee cap em.<br /><br />A buddies Boxter 2.7 tipronic. Really nice ride.<br /><br />Wifes fathers car, '03 Merc CL500.<br /><br />BIL's 73 Vette 350 and a lot of other muscle cars over the past 30 years. One of the meanest he had was a Mustang 429 Cobra Jet, Man could that thing smoke the bags.<br /><br />And a few others along the years.<br /><br />Peter

tony779

Cadet

75 Firebird 454 - 150+ on a long, straight stretch in North TX<br />77 Impala 4Dr 350 - 145 on I820 around Ft Worth<br />95 Camaro 350 - 150+ for several miles on the autobahn in Germany<br />On the 150+, didnt want to take my eyes off the road for too long<br />Would have had my 2000 Suburban up to whatever but they were smart enough to put a gov on it at 100

rwise

Captain

lets see, the fastest on top end would have to Dad's Bonneville, 389 (I think) he had a salvage and got the car in with a blown trany, pulled one from a crashed highway patrol card and put that in it. That thing would make telephone poles look like a solid wall, however fast that may be. Fastest of the line would have been my 1964 sport formula fury convertible (man I wish I still had that) with a 361 4 speed. But, my 65 barracuda would give it a good run! and I still have it, don't drive it cause I can't afford the tickets any more.

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fully Modded 1959 Country Squire Station Wagon.<br />850 RAW HP blower boosted to over 1k HP<br />Capable of 222.37 MPH in a straight line.

SELLADAM

Cadet

I'm fortunate to have regular access to two fast rides:<br /><br />My 2003 BMW M5, 0-60 in just under 5 seconds<br />My father's 2004 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet, 0-60 in around 4 seconds<br /><br />In high school, I also got to take my friend's mother's boyfriend's (follow that!) Ferrari Testorossa for a spin around the block. I didn't really get a chance to open it up, but my friend said she could hear the engine screaming all the way around the block.

Ralph 123

Captain

I had a Buick Grand National - 3.8L Turbo. It was a rocket ship. 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.43 seconds @ 103 mph...Last of the great American muscle cars... I NEVER should have sold that car!

oddjob

Commander

67 (jet blk) Chevelle Supersport 283, Richmond Kentucky to Berea, Ky 140mph. What was more interesting was the Electra 225 loaded with the Mchintosh boys catching and keeping up until we pushed it to 140-145. I wasnt driving, I was the crew chief. Lots of turbulance over the over-passes I recall. I remember it being a ***** to see ahead at night. Came back the old Berea road without lights and a full moon. It wasnt mine, but I loved that car.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd like to change my answer. I didn't drive it, but Friday night, I ran into an old friend at a little party - he showed up in his new to him 1999 Ferrari F355. All I can say is "WOW". We only went down a few lights and back but man oh man we got there quick. :)

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I drove a Panoz Esperante a few years back that had to be the fastest thing I've ever driven. What a head turner!<br /><br />Have to say it scared me a little bit.. unadulterated GO! :eek:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

'69 RoadRunner, 440 4 speed, learned to drive stick in this car.<br />'68 Olds Cutlass 425 3 speed<br />'67 Tempest with a 455, oops, not street legal<br />'72 Vette 454<br />'65 Vette 396 and a blower<br />Which was fastest? No idea.<br />Which was the most fun? the Roadrunner, big back seat, heck, big front seats.