What's Ironic to you?

D

DJ

For me.<br /><br />1. Donald Trump is viewed as this icon of success. Actually, he is a thief that gets people to invest in his ventures and then "stiffs" them by going into bankruptcy (twice). The American way?<br /><br />2. Hip Hugger's on women.<br /><br />We have spent two decades criticizing the fashions of the "70's" . Yet, we repeat them, as hideous as they are.<br /><br />I've got more, it just seems that those two are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: What's Ironic to you?

Agree on Trump and the 70's clothes. When are the guys gonna start wearing plaid pants again?

D

DJ

Here's another.<br /><br />American flags on foreign vehicles: <br /><br />Acura, BMW, Deawoo, Dodge (wholly owned by Mercedes) Honda, Hyundia, Lexus, Mercedes, Nissan (wholly owned by rhe French government-Renault) Kia, Mitsubishi, Toyota, VW, just to name a few.<br /><br />Built here-maybe. Money stays here? NOPE!

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Hmmm, where to start? <br />Ever known someone in the hospital, the nurse comes in and wakes them up to give them a pill to help them sleep?<br /><br />for lack of a better one at this minute.

ob

Admiral

I think it's ironic nowadays how an individual can financially profit from his/her crime/bad deed because of the books,movies,TV,or other publications that tell the story from a vantage point, which the society that initially condemned them ,is in demand of.Hope I said that right.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Steve Buscemi in ConAir while they're playing Sweet Home Alabama: "Define irony: A group of men in an airplane, dancing to a song by a rock group that died in a plane crash."

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> For me.<br />2. Hip Hugger's on women.<br />
Ya, then you hear.... "Do these jeans make me look fat"?<br /><br />Talk about ironies!

crab bait

Captain

in the 'vein' of D/DOG,, to wipe arm with alchohol when given lethal injection..

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

The only time I ever saw a former boss do anything to a used boat to prep it for sale ... mixes up a bucket of suds and vigorously cleans an old POS rowboat himself. Came to find out it was going to a sewage treatment facility.<br /><br />Related irony ... scented toilet paper.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Bumper sticker says, "Honk if you love Jesus". <br /><br />I honk. I get the bird, plus some very unChristian words.<br /><br />Anti-abortionist murders doctor "to save lives".<br /><br />Got to thinking about the "foreign vs. domestic" point DJ makes.<br /><br />Daimler Chrysler is an international corporation. It wholly owns Mercedes Benz AG and Chrysler Corp. Mercedes Benz does not "own" Chrysler.<br /><br />That said, though, DJ's reasonong would make Jeeps and Vipers foreign vehicles and it would make Mazda, Rover, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Volvo and Toyota domestics because they are partly or wholly owned by Ford or GM.<br /><br />AUGH! :eek: <br /><br />Does that make Fords built in Canada or Mexico furrin or 'Merican??<br /><br />I aint puttin no UN flag on my ML, DJ. And that's final. :D :D

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

wannabes riding Jap bikes that try to look like Harley Davidsons.

D

DJ

JB,<br /><br />I determine foreign or domestic as to where the profits go and stay. Also, where the board of directors is.<br /><br />There are only two that have the USA as the answer to the questions. Ford and GM. Those two are also "international" companies but the USA is the primary.<br /><br />Gotta go flip somebody off on my way to church. ;) :D

Skinnywater

Commander

[edited solely for spelling]<br /><br />That we are NOT a government of the people and by the people.<br /><br />That mega corporations that haven't a single vote have vastly greater representation, access, consideration and performance from the peoples representatives then the people do. <br /><br />That members of government have their own retirement/health package. And have a much more secure and generous package then the ones actually paying the bills.<br />And are responsible for the peoples plan that is severely mismanaged, broken and far beyond any sensible repair.<br /><br />That we are NOT a free market society.<br /><br />That most, if not all public employees, (excluding the military)have greater pay, benefits, protection, security and working conditions then the ones who pay them.<br /><br />That the Federal Reserve Board could even be considered legal and accepted? Or could remotely be in our best interests?<br /><br />That all the talk recently about tax reform and not a single peep from anyone about a consumption/sales tax, flat tax or any other viable consideration or fair compromise.<br /><br />That there isn't "free and equal access under the law"<br /><br />That a man with a briefcase can steal far more then a man with a gun. And get far less (if any) jail time for it.<br /><br />And that most citizens are uninformed, disinterested, comfortable with, or in denial about all the ironies.<br /><br />On.... <br /><br />That we are still dependent on our enemies for our energy needs.<br /><br />and on....... <br /><br />That people who don't believe in god feel so threatened by him??<br /><br />and on.... :rolleyes:

JB

Having a bad day, Skinny? :confused:

JB

Hey, DJ.<br /><br />That is the difference. I don't think we disagree.<br /><br />You look to where corporate headquarters and management is and where profits "go" to assign foreign and domestic labels. <br /><br />I look at where and by whom the product is built. The local payrolls, taxes and general economic impact there far exceed corporate profit from that activity. To me, that makes my Alabama-built ML a domestic product and a Canada-built Buick foreign.<br /><br />Hey, Fixin. :D :D

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Skinnywater, finaly someone as cynical as me... :) <br />I was up in you neck of the woods in Oct 2003 huntin' salmon. I'll likely retire there someday... :)

Skinnywater

Commander

Asked by JB; <br />
Having a bad day, Skinny?
No. <br /><br /><br />By Cheif 101;<br />
Skinnywater, finaly someone as cynical as me... <br />I was up in you neck of the woods in Oct 2003 huntin' salmon. I'll likely retire there someday...
We're not in the minority as some would have us beleive Cheif.<br /> And we should get togeather for your next visit. <br />It'll be worth your while to contact me.<br />bachelor@stormnet.com<br /> ;)