What's good for washing lures off?

Expidia

Commander
Since fish have a strong ability with regards to their sense of smell . . .

I always have a fear of putting my human smell on a lure when I'm swapping out one for another while trolling and trying different colors or lures.

I fish for Lakers on Lake George in NY and have always wondered if I sometimes scare them off with my scent when using lures especially when I have on sun blocker. Don't think washing with a bar of soap will do it cause the soap smell might be worse to the fish.

Can anyone recommend some tips or a way around this or maybe a dip of some sort?

Thx

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: What's good for washing lures off?

I've never really gave it any thought, somtimes the fish are aggressive and will hit about anything, yet other times human scent may very well be the differance but thats when I just give up and call it a day.
However there are aerasol cans of spray scents, you can buy it at most bass pro shops and keep a can in your arsenal. Or, throw a dead shrimp in your tackle box for a month or two that should do it.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Garlic spray from wal-marts sporting goods or grocery dept.

scipper77

Commander

If you are trolling I wouldn't be too concerned. The classic mistake that people make is to gas up there boat right before they go out. any overfill that leaks out of the vent will act as a fish repellent. Also don't get any gas on your hands. I'd think that a bar of ivory soap wouldn't hurt anything (or some other mild, perfume free soap). Lots of guys tip there hooks with worm. just a tiny piece to add the smell without killing the action of the lure.

I have heard of garlic spray for catfish, bullhead, and carp. I don't think it'sas popular when going for trout though.

Expidia

Commander

thx for thee replies so far. I know bass will hit anything. But it's the lakers I'm concerned with scaring off.

Seems a shame to have shelled out dollars for a down rigger, fish finder etc only to scare them off if my lure that looks like a fish but smells like a worm.

Maybe I'm giving the fish too much credit that they can tell the difference.

I have dips but I didn't want my fish shaped lure to smell like a crayfish or a worm.

I guess what I'm most worried about is the sun block getting on the lure and trolling for hours only to find the fish are being turned off by the smell of the sun block.

Maybe I should invent sunblock that smells like a worm or garlic. I'm sure my Wife would appreciate that :D

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

......But it's the lakers I'm concerned with scaring off.....Seems a shame to have shelled out dollars for a down rigger, fish finder etc only to scare them off if my lure that looks like a fish but smells like a worm.

Attractants don't always have to smell like what they look like. Most of the time fish don't have that much logic skills. Yum smells (supposedly) like essence of worm, and the worm-tipped lure thing mentioned above work- the fish recognize something that smells good. Like a (small) piece of perch belly on a 11-size Rapala gets hits when the empty lure didn't...

Maybe I'm giving the fish too much credit that they can tell the difference.

Maybe. I have heard of guys making their own attractant in a blender with the baitfish from their target waters. But I don't think it lasts long before it becomes more like a trapper's stink bait!

I guess what I'm most worried about is the sun block getting on the lure and trolling for hours only to find the fish are being turned off by the smell of the sun block.....Maybe I should invent sunblock that smells like a worm or garlic. I'm sure my Wife would appreciate that :D

Just get an empty pump-bottle of soft soap, clean it out, and refill it with scent-free biodegradable dishwashing liquid. I think I also remember a bio-degradeable scent-block no-scent "camo soap" at Cabela's- that might work too, but that's more used by aggressive deer hunters. Wash your hands with that after applying the sunscreen, and then give your lures a shot of baitmate as a cover scent.

Hot, soapy water should be a good lure wash; then if you keep them 'pure' you shouldn't have any issue. Just clean your hands often if you touch a lot of mechanical stuff in the boat or put on sunscreen or get your hands on something sweaty...

I don't know this but my sense of it is that Salmon may like or be attracted to certain smells, but lakers are less so. Don't know for sure. I think bad smells like gasoline are bad, but I have heard of some using WD-40 as a Salmon attractant, but I think that is nuts! Lakers are very attracted to the smell of a sucker when close, but they first seem to be attracted by sight (flash) and vibration.

In my experience, I think that when we apply scents, one of the biggest benefits is the resulting taste when you get a bite on an artificial- more hooked fish you might miss by light biters. The second is the more obvious scent trail. We turn to scents on days we have problems, but on 'good' days often forget to use it.

My 2 cents

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

i'm just going to thow in a humorous antidote about lure washing. when i was a kid my dad or uncle had read something in sports afield magazine about this same subject. the writer said to wash your lures in Ivory Soap Flakes(remember those). i don't know how the writer meant for you to wash the lures. but my dad and uncle decided that the washing machine was the way to go. my mother had a lingerie basket on your washer. so they loaded it up with lures, put in the soap flakes and turned it on. i remember standing there when the washer had finished and they opened the lingerie basket. the treble hooks on those lures were so tangled together the lures were literally wedged into the basket in one solid mass. i know they spent a good potion of the rest of the evening just to get the lures out of the basket. i don't know how long it took to untangle the lures because my uncle took them home with him in a mass and brought back my fathers's lures the next weekend. i do know they never tried it again and my mother and aunt reminded them about it for years. so if you were to search Sports afield from the late 1950's or early 1960's you could find some info on this topic. just don't use the washing machine.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I know this sounds creepy but I have heard (not tried) that people use WD 40 as an attractant......

I do know it will disolve most glues........

Google it. ;)

luv2b0at

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wear rubber gloves when gassing up or applying lotion. You could also wear them when applying scents. I've seen a lot of guides wearing them as recently as this last weekend on TV. One guide I spoke with on the Columbia East of Vancouver, Wa. was wearing them. I asked why and he said there were 2 reasons; 1) To keep the smell off his hands and 2) to keep his smell off the fish.

Bondo

Staff member

I know this sounds creepy but I have heard (not tried) that people use WD 40 as an attractant......

Ayuh,...

There's still a couple of cans in my gunnels, Just for that purpose,...
Whenever I think of it,.. I spray down my terminal tackle,+ toss it overboard....

luv2b0at

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,...

There's still a couple of cans in my gunnels, Just for that purpose,...
Whenever I think of it,.. I spray down my terminal tackle,+ toss it overboard....

Seen it used a lot for big ol' chinook on the Lewis River near Woodland, Wa. This guy would spray it right on his chunck of roe before he back bounced it from his boat. Never used it myself as I was catching fish w/o it. I don't know if it's legal or not.

gonefishie

Commander

Use spray on sun blocker, don't get it on the palm of your hand and forget about the whole thing.

Expidia

Commander

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to fill a squirt bottle with some odorless biodegradable soap and keep it onboard. Probably come in handy anyway to wash up before lunch.

The gloves are a good idea and I have a few boxes of them anyway for use when I'm repairing my car.

Think I'll wash down all my lures and keep them in a clean tackle box for the start of the season.

Lakers are really finicky anyway. Worst is when you're trolling along at 1mph and watch a few of them following your lure on the fishfinder around 100 feet down, yet they won't bite whatever I put in front of them. This is when I start trying to swap out colors, shapes and I try worms too. Just trying to increase my odds by making sure some type of scent on the lure is not turning them off. Many days it gets frustrating as they seem to follow along a few inches back from the lure, but no cigar!

I use flashers and sometimes Xmas trees which tends to excite them into striking, but Lakers can be tough to hook!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I wash my bucktails in fabric softner to keep the hair from tangling. They also get a lot of WD40 overspray from spraying down the rods after use. Don't seem to bother the fish one bit.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Ayuh,..... I spray down my terminal tackle,+ toss it overboard....

So you've done this and it actually works?! Seriously, I wanna know...

gonefishie wrote:
Use spray on sun blocker, don't get it on the palm of your hand and forget about the whole thing.

That's what I usually use, because my hands blister with regular sunblock. Doesn't seem to bother my shoulders or neck though. And I always have disinfectant hand wipes in the boat too, and I follow them with a good rinse in lakewater.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like to let the fish wash them with their tongues.:D

Bondo

Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond-o
Ayuh,..... I spray down my terminal tackle,+ toss it overboard....

Ayuh,...

I have no way of knowing that it Increases my hook ups,...
But,...
Yes,.. I've caught Many fish doing it,...
Walleyes, Salmon, Trout, Etc...

lil-skipper

Recruit

If you are trolling I wouldn't be too concerned. The classic mistake that people make is to gas up there boat right before they go out. any overfill that leaks out of the vent will act as a fish repellent. Also don't get any gas on your hands. I'd think that a bar of ivory soap wouldn't hurt anything (or some other mild, perfume free soap). Lots of guys tip there hooks with worm. just a tiny piece to add the smell without killing the action of the lure.

I have heard of garlic spray for catfish, bullhead, and carp. I don't think it'sas popular when going for trout though.
If you think garlic spray is unusual, well have I got a story for you, I was surf fishing for steelhead, at elberta, Mi. a few years ago,I was using brown trout spawn,I noticed the fella down the way from me was staying more busy than me fighting and landing fish so I got curious,and kinda meandered down there, by em, pretty soon he wondered over to me and inquired about how well I was doing that morning . Well I said at first I was doing pretty good or so I thought, but then I made the mistake of looking & watching you land fish after fish for this past hour, and even though I have 2 nice steelies, I'm pretty sure you already have your limit. He nodded and said he did, and was now releasing fish. I was about to ask him if he did anything different with his spawn when he beat me to the subject, and then offered up this little tidbit, he said he was reading a magazine article that said to change up your offering a little that you might want to try WD-40 for a different scent. Well I looked at this guy like he had two heads and belonged in a straight jacket, when he was just about ready to cast into the surf, he bent down over his bag &pulled out a mini can of ya you guessed it, good o wd-40, sprayed his spawn bag and waded out to cast his offering . When He walked back up out of the water , I had said a few words indicating I believed he was just pulling my leg, and that if he didn,t want me talking to him all he had to do was say so , and I would leave, with no-hard feelings. but waite he yelled, stay here it shouldn't take too long to prove to you I,m not kidding, Well he no sooner got the words out of his mouth ,when his surf rod was bucking like a brauma bull. After about what seemed like eternity, he finally landed an 8lb. steelhead that literally swallowed his wd-40 soaked spawn bag. The only thing I muttered to myself was well seeing is believeing and right now I'm a believer. I just thought you guys might enjoy hearing and reading this story. All I can offer is this, I don't lie and I really don't make up stories, and yes, that probably sounds like an oxymoron, especially when you consider that I am an avid fisherman........