What would You have done???

Stratosfied

Ensign
Re: What would You have done???

Hello to all and thanks for the thoughts/ideas/commentaries on this subject. I had to work a shutdown for the weekend and you are right, it is later. Again, I am not the most PC person in the world and I do not wish to harm/upset anyone...these are my thoughts..<br /><br />On the outside looking in,it is in most respects playing armchair QB to even suggest that we could have or should have done anything different, but here it goes.<br /><br />1. Defend This Nation. I think that we really have no business in Iraq(I support our Troops and their mission, but I think that this is not a priority now.) I would round up all illegal imigrants and people and make them PROVE that they are here under honorable conditions. The ones who couldn't, well bye bye. <br /><br />2. Establish a list of countries who, no questions asked, will help us with the hunt for Bin Laden and his groups. No help the US on this, No help from the US for you later.<br /><br />3. Find the meanist nastiest MARINE that I could and put him in charge of the hunt. Let him assemble whatever he needs to kill that SOB.<br /><br />4. Remove the US from the UN, but most importantly, remove the UN from the US. Tell the folks there that they have 12 hrs to leave because after that, the 82nd Airborne is coming there to remove that cancer from the earth. <br /> <br />5.Show the world a pure capitalist view, that is you want our food, we want your oil. No Oil no food. Set the price of oil at $10.00 a barrel. You raise the price of oil, then try to make a sand-wich out of that oil.<br /><br />6.Establish a bounty for anyone in the world who turns in a terroist and identifies where they are located. <br /><br />7. Call up the National Guard to guard the states in which they serve.<br /><br />8. Establish a 'No Fly Zone' you fly, you die.<br /><br />9. Stengthen the Coast Guard to defend the waters off the coast of the US. <br /><br />10.Remove NAFTA and imose such high tarrifs on imports that the US would become a manufacturing giant again.<br /><br />I could go on but, for what, I posed this question as a result of an effort at work that suggested that instead of being so critical of those in decision making areas that we ask "what would I do" and then go through the process.<br />I cannot say that the effort is not correct and that I could have done a better job. I,as some have said, am not privy to the info that the President has. I would like to think that I would do better but someone once said that there is no chair that is more uncomfortable than the one behind the desk at the oval office. <br />Now for those hammerheads at work, I KNOW that I could do better. :D Thanks for your time and interest and I hope I have not offended anyone. Thanks again.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Did it ever occur to you that the USA needs the world more than the world needs the USA?<br />The world could easily provide the food that our farmers would no longer be able to sell.It would be difficult to make cars run on beef or wheat.<br />I could just imagine what crappy cars we would drive in ten years from now. ,because the car industry would no longer have to compete against foreign technology.I could go on.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

I'm coming pretty late into this discussion, but I have one important aspect to add. It concerns the second reply:<br /><br />
Originally posted by rolmops:<br /><br />In the fight against terror the army should be used as a scalpel to cut out the rot and not as a sledgehammer.
This is an absolute impossibility with today's society in the U.S. If you need proof, just look at the post 9/11 security measures. They were a joke, and we all knew it. Many stories were done on people able to smuggle illegal items on board airplanes, anything from knives to guns. All they additional security did was to create the ILLUSION that we were safer. And the public actually bought it! Poll after poll said that people felt safer because of the new security measures, even though study after study proved the security measures as ineffective as ever!<br /><br />On a side note, security did not fail on 9/11. The weapons the terrorist used were razor boxcutters, which were NOT prohibitted at the time. So why did we bother with changing security, they weren't the weak link?<br /><br />What is the point of all this in regards to the statement made by Rolmops? We cannot use the army discretely as a scalpel. The ignorant American public DEMANDED action. In an emotional outcry, we responded with a resounding "Kill them all, we demand vengence!" Well, the core theory of politics is to satisfy the voice of the people, which meant a very public display of force. The ignorant public demanded the sledgehammer...

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

I don't think it was possible to handle the situation any differently. The public would not allow it.