What would you have done in this soldiers place?

Homerr

Commander
I'm talking about our soldier that killed the 'unarmed' terrorist.<br /><br />Here's one story:<br /><br /> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20041116/ts_nm/iraq_falluja_investigation_dc <br /><br />What would YOU have done in that situation, and does the soldier deserve punishment?<br /><br />Based on the latest booby trapped bodies, and feigning surrenders, I would no doubt put a slug in the terrorist first.<br /><br />ALL the reporters have to go as well. This should be the last straw for them.<br />Let our boys do their job.<br /><br />Better yet... If the reporters have to stay, then have them check the bodies first!<br /><br /><br />H.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: What would you have done in this soldiers place?

Not a darn thing different.<br /><br />Why should we bandage up terrorists, so they can come back to kill us.<br /><br />This all reminds me of the movie Saving Private Ryan. Remember they let go "Steam boat willie" and then later he came back and shot Tom Hanks. Then that scared guy killed him after he surrendered. Everyone I know said "good job" when he did it.<br /><br />I too say to this Marine "good job".<br /><br />Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Oh yea, GET THE FREKIN CAMERAS OFF THE BATTLEFIELD!!!!<br /><br />Ken

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only thing the soldier did wrong was not destroying the camera/tape.<br /><br />There should only be a few token prisoners. Every prisoner is a future terrorist.

tylerin

Commander

Let God sort them out

gaugeguy

Captain

This has been riling me up for the last few days. This Marine is getting the short end of the stick, big time. Nobody knows what was going on that led to this incident, but the media is portraying him as a murdering war criminal. I would have loved to jump through my TV screen and beat the crap out of Chris Matthews the other night, POS. His boy John Kerry got a silver star for following a wounded VC into the jungle and shooting him in the back, and CM applauded it. And he's ready to bring this Marine up on criminal charges now before an investigation has even begun...tinkles me off!!! :mad: :mad: <br /><br />And for the record, I would have put two in the insurgents hat!! :mad:

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wasn't there; but, if the Iraq guy made a quick move, would done the same thing. I'm with Ken - get the cameras out of there along with the press! Would be good if they reported on the positive, not the gotcha their looking for.<br /><br />Enough good can't be said about the job the soldiers are doing under the most extreme conditions you can fight in!! Those bleeding hearts that are quick to criticize - give them a gun and send them to the front to see how they would react -- bet there would be a lot of civilians shot by those quick triggered bleeding hearts!

KennyKenCan

Commander

I would have pumped at least 10 more rounds into him!<br /><br />The only good enemy, is a dead enemy!

gaugeguy

Captain

Here's the other scenario...the insurgent rolls over and detonates a grenade killing the whole squad of Marines. The cameraman gets out and shows the footage to the world. The media would then say the Marines were poorly trained :mad: <br /><br />This Marine was shot in the face the day prior, they were taking fire from the mosque, 2 Marines died that day because of a booby trapped body. They did not shoot the wounded insurgent that had his hand up, just the one that was faking being dead. You can't ask a 19 year old to make PC decisions when it is life or death for him and his squad, IMO he did the right thing.<br /><br />And BTW Homer, he is a Marine, not a Soldier ;)

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

As stated above, the only thing he should have done differently was to make sure the camera wasn't running.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

I have never been shot in the face ....but I have been punched and kicked I know even then a part of me takes over that is about combat.....its not the same part of me that sits here a type this morning. It is a part of me that is in a mode of operation that is about survival and conquest. I beleive our men are in a mode that is simalar but very much hightened due to the fact they are in true life or death combat. Does war suck....you betcha......do things happen that are harsh, sad and disgusting.....yes......is this guy a criminal.....NO as stated before he is a teenager ( most likely) in situation that few of us sitting here have gone through ( I know that some of us have.)these guys deal with an enemy that is willing to kill them anyway they can, including blowing up women and children that are next to our boys. Give me a break its war we shouldnt even be taking prisoners.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Capt. Kidd:<br /> As stated above, the only thing he should have done differently was to make sure the camera wasn't running.
Ditto :mad:

Carphunter

Commander

Must agree with Ken, get that dang cameras outta there. <br /><br />Let the soldiers do what the heck they're trained to do without them worrying about being "appropriate" for the damn cameras.<br /><br />Some of the stupidest crap I've ever heard before. :mad:

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

What would everyone else do. That is a very hard question to answer. We all say from the comfort and safety of our own homes that we would have done the same. Until you look over your gunsight at another human being, you never know. <br />As I have said before, nobody has earned the right to criticize until they have been over there. One thing the Marine did wrong was to speak. He should have just fired and moved on.<br />The reporter should have never been there. His only agenda is to get ratings and pad his career. What better way than to create a public outcry for something, bingo he is the popular one and famous for a minute.<br />Looking at the big picture, here is what he reports as an unarmed man in a Mosque. An unarmed man in a religious site. the rules of engagement in this war, avoid damage to religious sites. This is why they were fighting from this Mosque, kind of a safe zone. You can bet the enemy will use this news to their advantage. Unarmed innocent victim killed by American Christian in Mosque, shot as he was praying. Playing right into the hands of those calling this a holy or religious war.<br />Who knows what this Marine saw or thought when he fired that shot. I hope for his sake he thought this man was a serious immediate threat. Not for what will happen to him as punishment, but what he will have to live with. I don't know how many here have been in combat, but if you have you know. It is one thing to shoot at moving forms and see them drop, it is another to stand and look at another human and kill him. Especially if you see their eyes when you pull the trigger. Later when he is hugging his wife or children he will be haunted by the mmemories, and will start questioning his action. That is a whole new fight to live through.<br />This war has turned into a sporting event. We have so many armchair quarterbacks or soldiers in this case, all full of ideas on what should be done and how. Just like the reports of prisoner abuse a few months ago. Why is this stuff even aired? Part of war is not just see which side can kill more of the other side. There is a point when you have to take the fight out of your enemy. In the early days when we captured enemy soldiers, we disarmed them and held them prisoner for a short time. Then we made them sign contracts saying they will not take up arms against us again in this war. They were then sent home with everything but their weapons. Now I see that we are surprised the same people are b ack fighting. This is a great PR move, and some actually think it is a good idea, but in reality it of course is stupid.<br />To win a war you need to demoralize your enemy to a point they are sick of fighting, and will give in. These people have been fighting all their lives, and are fighting for what they believe in. We will not take the desire to fight out of them until the last one is killed, but we also need to show that we mean business. <br />I have said from the beginning we need to put guns in the hands of the reporters and make them join the fight. Only after the fight should they be allowed to make their news report. If they are in harms way they would be reporting a different side of this war. <br />I do say that if this marine did kill an un-armed man enemy or not, it was murder. If there was no feeling of immediate threat or danger it was wrong. But like I have said until you have been there you have no right to criticize.<br />I WILL ADD THOUGH, I WILL DEFEND THIS MARINE TIL THE END for what he did!<br />I can say with certainty that I would do the sdame thing. The only thing that bothers me is his statements first. I have seen this happen many times, firing at a wounded possibly un-armed enemy. The troublesome part is the statements first. To the armchair soldiers and the bleeding hearts it sounds like "look guys watch what I do to this one". Should have just fired and went on. <br />Like I said, I will definately defend this soldier to the end. Would I have shot the man, I can honestly look at myself and say I probably would have. But there is really not enough information out there to form a decent educated opinion.<br />We here at home can sit and think about this, and pick it apart for days. This Marine had a second or two to make his decision.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The thing that is in question in this case,is whether this soldier followed orders and acted according to the ways a marine should act.<br />If so,he did his job.If not he should be disciplined according to marine disciplinary rules.<br />The only thing that really would have mattered to me,if I was in his shoes,would be to ensure that my men and me would come home in one piece on our own two feet.

spratt

Lieutenant

Given that there have been public airings of these guys beheading American citizens, unfair tactics by the enemy in false surrender, booby traps, cowardice leaking from every pore, and general deviltry by the enemy, there HAS to be a certain heightened fear level amongst the troops, or at the least a heightened caution level, I feel that he did what he felt was the appropriate thing at the time. In reality, it was murder plain and outright, which in a case of war, only God can judge. I truly hate it that the media has to be there, and it sounds like most all here feel that way also. I betcha one thing, the soldiers will be more aaware of the media presence when something like this comes up again...and maybe they will do the right thing about that!!! After the enemy expired, the camera should have!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Never been in that kind of combat situation.<br /><br />Closest I ever came was a mano e mano in which my adversary declared his intention to kill me. I disarmed him, then I killed him.<br /><br />I am with the Marine. If you believe that the enemy is a threat to your life, kill him.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) My best friend and marine corp buddy came upon two cong sleeping on the side of a trail,there were no cameras, and them two cong are still sleeping to this day!!! ;) :cool: <br /><br />Most of us are in agreement with this marine in Irag, but the one mistake is, camera was rolling!!!

f_inscreenname

Commander

I think I am with you all on this one. Hell I will put a bullet in you for coming in my house uninvited. In a combat zone the sky is the limit. <br /> ps JB, I am sorry for anything I have ever done to, said about or just breathing your air.

gaugeguy

Captain

I think my opinion of the cameras rolling is different than most. I like the idea of the imbedded reporters. They are capturing acts of heroism every day and showing the grisly, harsh reality of war in real time.<br /><br />What I don't agree with is the media blowing this story way out of proportion and condemning this Marine for an act that most agree was justified. And as for the Arab outcry about this purported "war crime", I say where is the Arab outcry over civilians being beheaded by the insurgents?