what would this boat intitle and costs be?

what would this boat intitle and costs be?

  • restore

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • trash

    Votes: 1 100.0%

  • Total voters
    1
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

southkogs

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 7, 2010
Messages
15,125
Re: what would this boat intitle and costs be?

SBL - on a boat that size, I think I would plan on about $1,000 per year maintenance. Add fuel costs based on usage (few hundred dollars for me) and storage/towing. And consider incidentals (I just had to do some trailer repairs). You may not need to spend all of that, but be ready to.

Over the course of the last three years, I've put about $3K into my 18' between operating, maintenance and repair costs. Your sail boat is probably suited well to the water you're on, and a heck of a lot cheaper to operate.
 

MWG2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Sep 4, 2011
Messages
157
Re: what would this boat intitle and costs be?

I have pulled 2 454's from a 30' spectre cat, today. It was a salt water boat and required an 1" impact to remove the rear motormounts. Salt water it cancer, stay away from it. Or flush and rinse off he boat and engines.

Its going to take around 50,000 to get it back in great shape. Stuck bolts every where. A small baylener that was used in salt, $$$5,000 the first year then just 1500 after that. Pluse insurance gas and trailering it. The trailer is a nother coupple hundred a year after 1500 the first year.
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,969
Re: what would this boat intitle and costs be?

Give the kid a break.

He already has the support of his father and the neighbor.
He already stated that the boat is in good operational condition.
He won't be towing it on the highway, so even if the trailer was falling apart, it would work to launch and load at the neighborhood ramp.

Go for it SBL, what have you got to lose?

Let the neighbor show you the ropes.
If he doesn't have a manual for the engine and drive, that should be your first purchase.

Good luck.

Keep us posted on what you learn and your successes.
 

smallboatlover

Banned
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 12, 2010
Messages
1,179
Re: what would this boat intitle and costs be?

thanks for the support and comments. and i already said im not restoring the motor boat because ive spent way to much money on the boat already and don't feel like spending all my rest of money on this boat when it's not what i want its to small and is bad on wave and were i boat it gets rough quick.
also about the boat it has muptilple manuals also step by step photos of the new motor being put in. the trailer being redone. every thing that it took to get the boat back and running.
 

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Mar 20, 2008
Messages
1,849
Re: what would this boat intitle and costs be?

I think you could out on the water for under $1000 if the previous owner updated and upgraded the boat well. Fuel will. E a large cost over the last boat but if you keep it slow you can make it work. There are more systems that could break or need upkeep, and the little $20-100 parts can bury you money wise.

Why not ask the current owner what he pays a year to upkeep the boat? He might now better based off your area and such.
 

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
53,240
Re: what would this boat intitle and costs be?

lets put it in perspective - fees are directly proportional to the size of the boat.

based on the registration fees posted, along with what I pay for trailer registration, insurance and normal incidentals, my guess is that it will cost you between $800 and $1500 just to have the boat sit there every year and not see the water.

I put about $1500 worth of fuel in my boat last year, another $600 in the truck to haul the boat around. $60 in launch fees. found one rock and spent $750 on a set of props just to get it back in the water. bought new dock lines and anchor lines (about $200), fixed the bilge pump and some other wiring (another $200), fixed the trailer brakes ($65).

This year I have $2700 in the boat ($2000 improvements, and $700 maintenance/repair items) and it hasn't seen water yet.

my suggestion if the boat was given to you would be to sell it and put the money towards a low hour 19' and go boating.
 

southkogs

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 7, 2010
Messages
15,125
Re: what would this boat intitle and costs be?

Give the kid a break.

He already has the support of his father and the neighbor.
He already stated that the boat is in good operational condition.
He won't be towing it on the highway, so even if the trailer was falling apart, it would work to launch and load at the neighborhood ramp.

Go for it SBL, what have you got to lose?

Let the neighbor show you the ropes.
If he doesn't have a manual for the engine and drive, that should be your first purchase.

Good luck.

Keep us posted on what you learn and your successes.

Let me clarify my post just a little in response to Roscoe:

As you describe the boat SBL, it'd be a good boat to get into. My only though is with you being under 18, a $1,000 a year (operating, repair and maintenance) might be a LOT. You also have things coming up in your life that you need to be preparing for - car, education or vocational training, insurance, yadda, yadda, yadda ...

I didn't have the free funds of that sort available at your age to make a boat like a 24' go. If you've got them, go for it. But don't short change yourself on the upcoming things that need to do/buy for this boat now.
 

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Mar 19, 2011
Messages
8,155
Re: what would this boat intitle and costs be?

i already said im not restoring the motor boat because ive spent way to much money on the boat already and don't feel like spending all my rest of money on this boat when it's not what i want its to small and is bad on wave and were i boat it gets rough quick.
.

Yeah, I knew and told you that 50 horse would never run again.


I don't think anyone has mentioned the cost of winter shrink wraping and motor winterizing yet either, and I can forsee a cracked 350 block in your future when you decide to "save money" and do these things the "SBL way".


On your budget, all you can afford to own, operate, and maintain is a 16-17' V hull tinny with a 30-40 hp motor.

That 24' 'liner will eat your lunch and kick you in the nads just like that little Chrysler did... only a lot worse!
 

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
1,082
Re: what would this boat intitle and costs be?

I only have two things to add. First, it was mentioned that even if the trailer were bad, it would work for short trips. PLEASE don't state this, let alone to a 15 year old who might not know better. If a car pulls out in front of you, I don't care if you are 1/4 mile from home or 400 miles from home, you have to be able to stop. Same goes for all the other trailer issues. An unsafe trailer is an unsafe trailer, no matter the distance it is used over (not saying SBL's neighbor's trailer is or is not bad, I have no idea).

Secondly, it's been mentioned in passing, but I have to bring it up again. SBL you have been advised before on getting insurance, and you've always said you didn't need it. Especially if you step up to something like this one, you do. It's not that expensive, but you need to factor it in (and make sure you even can get it at your age). Also, make sure that if you father gets insurance in your name, you are still covered. I know you are too young to know about or care about lawsuits, but trust me - it can ruin your life.
 

Ryanlewis2010

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Oct 4, 2011
Messages
314
Re: what would this boat intitle and costs be?

Has anyone realized we haveyetto see this mysterious 24footer you think he wasjust trying to get some attention again its happened in the past an ill apologi im way of basebut it seems like a common occurrence with himS sorry ityped on my tablet very slow on here
 

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Joined
May 26, 2009
Messages
9,715
Re: what would this boat intitle and costs be?

to follow Roscoe's comments, and as usual it's impossible to know what the real deal is, but the best boat to have is someone else's. If SBL's neighbor really plans to give away this well maintained perfect operating condition boat and trailer, to a neighbor's kid who has taken an interest in it, then what SBL should do is leave the boat titled in the owner's name and let him pay for repairs, and SBL does the repairs in exchange for being able to use it. Win Win. After a year or so, SBL will have a real knowlege of what he is getting into. I know of a lot of arrangements like that around here, for boats, hunt clubs, etc.

From what I can glean from the cryptic postings, the boat stays in the water in the summer, trailer in the winter. (note to SBL--price out bottom paint on a boat that size, every other year at least. My guess= $1500). If the owner doesn't want it in his yard, SBL can keep it in his instead (Note to SBL: clear this with your parents and neighbors before you take another step).

Boats need to be run. The owner should want SBL to run it. SBL wants to sit on it b/c he can't afford to run it (SBL: idling at the dock is worse than not running it). If he puts a hundred gallons in it ($400) and doesn't run it out in 6 months, he has to throw it away (disposal costs per gallon is more than it costs).

There are two ways this all falls apart: getting a boat you can't afford to keep; getting a boat you cannot run.
 

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Jan 18, 2011
Messages
268
Re: what would this boat intitle and costs be?

I think it's great that this kid is getting an opportunity to try and fail. So many kids sitting around playing video games and never trying to get into any **** these days. He is ignorant right now, but he's learning the important lessons. There's no reason to get upset or frustrated with a kid that won't listen to adults...c'mon...that's life.

The lesson he may take away, hopefully younger than a lot of us did, is that listening to those with more experience is VALUABLE. When you go on a forum or you talk to experienced guys sometimes it's hard to hear what they are saying. They aren't wearing the same pair of rose colored glasses that you are. He's going to keep getting himself into projects that he can't finish until he learns to listen. Nobody expects a 15 year old kid to get right, but hopefully by the time he's 30 he has the experience and wisdom that I don't at 30. I still make mistakes...hell, I just bought a 24' boat from 1976. I get to spend this weekend trying to see what the damage is and really surveying my costs. I shoulda walked away...I know it, maybe if I'd been making these same mistakes since I was 15 I'd be better off.

I agree that 24' is probably too much boat. I mean...everything costs a lot on these things. It's going to take $1000's, not $100's to get this up and running.

I support everyone here in saying that you should aim for a broject that you can start and finish. Since you seem to like the "project" aspect of it, I think you should challenge yourself. Get your first job, work all summer, save the money to buy something that needs some work, but is realistic (maybe a 17'-19', late 80's) and get it up and running.

Make the challenge to A) Buy the boat at the right price, B) fix the boat right and C) sell it at a profit. The chances of that happening are slim to none, but if you can even get close you will have gained a lot of experience. See how creative you can get to acquire all of the things that you need for one good operational boat.

It is a fun hobby and if you have people supporting you, I think you should gain as much knowledge and experience as you can.
 

shrew

Lieutenant
Joined
Dec 29, 2006
Messages
1,309
Re: what would this boat intitle and costs be?

Answer: Far more money than a 16 year old can afford.
 

Pony

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 27, 2004
Messages
4,355
Re: what would this boat intitle and costs be?

This thread has really made me think. I read all of the Chrystler restoration thread, as well as a whole bunch of other ones that SBL hs made over the last year. ( I was bored and its 35F and raining out so I can't work on my boat on my day off like I wanted to).

I came to this site when I was 19yrs old, and it seems like forever ago. I came here because more than anything else I wanted to get out on the water with my dad. We had an early 70's trihull and rude that were negleted for years, but was the boat we always had growing up. I made attempts to "restore" that boat to get out on the water......attempts that I would NEVER do now. I did things like put plywood over the rotting floor and try to level it with basement floor leveler. I re-carpeted everything with this nasty green astroturf I found at Menards for super cheap. I never checked the transom....heck the boat was probably water logged like no other. To make a long story short I put a lot of my money into that boat. I never got that $ back. I finally did get it out on the water after a boat mechanic redid the carbs. My dad and I took it up north for a weekend.....that boats final weekend. I had a great time fishing out of that boat for 3 days with my dad. It was the first time we had fished out of that boat for at least 10 years. On our way back to the launch the impeller destroyed itself and blocked the water passages.....destroyed the top cylinder/piston. I spent a lot of time on here asking how to fix that motor................

In the end we left that boat up north and my uncle sold it for me at the value of the trailer and the parts on that motor. I maybe got $300 for that boat. I find these threads interesting because just yesterday my dad and I went to Cabelas to get a new locator for our current boat (a boat I have done a lot of work on, but learned from the first one). We are looking around for something bigger....and I actually made the comment to him that I wish we still had that boat so I could fix it the right way now that I know what I am doing. My dad said " Yeah neither of us knew how to take care of that boat or what we were doing, but we learned from it"

I don't regret selling it and cutting my losses at ALL. I learned that sometimes you have to play the cards you are dealt. I made mistakes. I was in denial for awhile....but now I have a great little fishing boat, and know that if I wanted to I can fix up just about anything I find.

With all that learning I was able to do this (My 1962 Evinrude Fisherman Restoration)
 

smallboatlover

Banned
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 12, 2010
Messages
1,179
Re: what would this boat intitle and costs be?

thanks every one and i might try to work out a deal with my neibhor to split the boat i pay for gas and help pay for repairs and stuff. Also if i put 400 worth of gas into the boat i would use every last drop of gass lol. And also lil red is dead. every one was right i was just trying to get the most out of the boat. i found out today the transom is complety rotted.
 

QC

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
22,783
Re: what would this boat intitle and costs be?

Hey SBL, good call on the neighbor plans, and good to admit that red is dead. If you recognize that even when we are relaying bad news, that we are trying to help you, you will get much more positive responses here. I am a supporter of your efforts. You just need to trust answers to questions that you ask whether or not the answers are what you want to hear. That will go a long way towards people showing you more respect.

Have fun, be safe!!!
 

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Mar 20, 2008
Messages
1,849
Re: what would this boat intitle and costs be?

Where are people getting $1000+ to winterize/shrinkwrap a 24' I/O boat, and $1500 to bottom paint said boat?

If SBL is like a lot of boat owners I know (me as well) he wont just drive to the dealer and hand them $1500 to bottom paint it. He will do the work himself and get it done for fractions of that cost. Winterizing and wrapping could be as simple as a tarp, some wood supports and antifreeze/fogging oil. I guess if you brought it in for this work it would cost $1000 or more.
 

smallboatlover

Banned
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 12, 2010
Messages
1,179
Re: what would this boat intitle and costs be?

thanks mustang and i won't bring it to a dealer. i always do the work my self thats how you learn your mess up and also learn how it should be done and stuff like that. painting my sailboat cost me $50
 

Ryanlewis2010

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Oct 4, 2011
Messages
314
Re: what would this boat intitle and costs be?

So no hard feelings right SBL you get what i was trying to say? QC says it best, It may not be news you wanna here but its more then likely the answer (i know it happened to me with don s telling me my motor was shot but i pressed thru it and i now have a running boat)
So listen to the wise old folks here they know what there tlking bout most have more years experience then you have been alive lol. Oh and the irresponsible comment i made 2 post ago wasnt directed at you but i know how i was at 2-3 years ago not much different today so it was an age comment lol.
 

sasto

Captain
Joined
Jun 1, 2010
Messages
3,918
Re: what would this boat intitle and costs be?

SBL...My opinion? You have my respect! Good Luck to you!.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top