What to do with this crack?

peckus

Cadet
I attached some pics and will admit to being a total newbie. I am thinking sanding the damaged area down and reapplying some new fibreglass on top should work...thoughts?

Attachments

• crack3.JPG
    crack3.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 0

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: What to do with this crack?

yup.......

thats metal flake paint.....youll have to grind out around the area to be glassed.....

make sure its vaccumed...then cleaned with aceitone....

since that is a high stress area.....you will need a few layers of matt...then a roving then matt and a finishing veil of glass.....

it can be done in just a few hours.

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

and btw.....welcome to i boats :)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Exactly what part of the boat are we looking at? It may change how it needs to be repaired.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

it looks like the back top corner of a splashwell....the wood is the transom plate

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Is that the transom?Why is that wood on top?you might be in for some work

oops!

Supreme Mariner

some type of owner applied cap

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I was thinking the same thing, someone tried to bolt some wood to a rotten transom in hopes of making it last longer. If that's the case, the only solution is to rip it appart and rebuild it, plus all the other wood in the boat.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

That looks downright Dangerous.....

peckus

Cadet

It is in the corner of the splashwell. I am planning on taking the wood off the transom and will snap a few more photos. I got this boat for next to nothing so am not going to be surprised by any surprises. Thanks for the help keep it coming!

Attachments

• transom.JPG
    transom.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 0

jcsercsa

Captain

I was thinking the same thing, someone tried to bolt some wood to a rotten transom in hopes of making it last longer. If that's the case, the only solution is to rip it appart and rebuild it, plus all the other wood in the boat.

I was thinking the same thing , that it was the transom and you are going to have to replace the transom !!! I hate to say it but thats a bad stress crack , the wood in the transon has to be really rotton !! john

Ps are there any more cracks on the stern ??

oops!

Supreme Mariner

uh oh....

search core sample.....

the reason it cracked is because your transom is falling off.......it needs to be replaced....or the back half of your boat will break away.....youll loose your motor in the water and your boat will sink.

good call guys !

if you wanna fix it....we can guide you thru it

peckus

Cadet

uh oh....

search core sample.....

the reason it cracked is because your transom is falling off.......it needs to be replaced....or the back half of your boat will break away.....youll loose your motor in the water and your boat will sink.

good call guys !

if you wanna fix it....we can guide you thru it

You guys have no idea what we are gettin into :D
Rumour has it there used to be a 50h on the back of this thing maybe thats the reason for the crack?...its 10' long

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Could be to much motor not enough boat but id still check transom.If if its not rotten it may be cracked up due to excessive force

jcsercsa

Captain

Could be to much motor not enough boat but id still check transom.If if its not rotten it may be cracked up due to excessive force

yep I agree , i would still take some core samples , [ take a drill and drill a few holes] and see how the wood comes out !! just dont drill threw the hull !! lol John

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well obviously none of that plywood is supposed to be there. Definitely one of the saddest bad transom reinforcements I've seen. Take all of that off. Take the cap off the boat and replace the wood inside the fiberglass. Shouldn't be too bad a job a 10' boat.

j_martin

Admiral

I've seen boats with a lot less cracking than that have totally rotten core in the transom.

Right now, you'd be like to lose a 10 horse and the back foot of the boat.

Likely transom is bad, and likely also stringers and floors.

You should be able to put enough motor on the back to sumarily sink it, or flip it over backwards and not crack any fiberglass.

reelfishin

Captain

Its a pretty scary looking crack let alone all the wood bolted on.
Chances are they were trying to make the transom hold a motor, period.
The inner core is most likely turned to mulch. I'd look real close at all the of the transom seams and fiberglass corners, look for cracks and past patchwork.
Remove all that wood, remove the upper cap and get a good look at the transom wood and stringers and go from there. With the cap off, you'll also be able to better access the crack and how to fix it permanently.

peckus

Cadet

So.....the transom is ROTTED big time. you can see in the third pic that the crack does indeed go all the way through. What's next? Taking the cap off I assume, what does that entail? I know I will need to put some support in before removing the cap can I just use a couple 2x4s?

IMG_1916-1.jpg

IMG_1918-1.jpg

IMG_1919-1.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

using a 3/16th drill bit drill out all the rivets.......remove the rub rail....and pry the cap off......

worry about the crack later.....just make sure you dont break it taking it off.

once its off.....take a hammer and chisel to the rotten transom...and get the wood ....all of it out......

as far as building a new one....search plywood....and get it now....it has to dry