What to do with this crack?

peckus

Cadet
Re: What to do with this crack?

So I put in two cross braces with some 2x3 I had kicking around. I wedged it in without screws will that keep the body from twisting? Started taking out the rivets and will post pics as soon as the cap comes off. I hope you guys are as much help when it comes time to put it back together. :D

reelfishin

Captain

IMG_1918-1.jpg

Where did you find that boat? I picked up an old Glasspar about two years ago that had a 50hp Merc on it which had the same "Wild Thing" lettering in a circle and a very similar aluminum reinforcement on the transom. It had found prior DE, MD, MO, NE, and WA state registrations in the boat. It had a bunch of owners and had somehow made it's way across the country over the years.

Once you get the cap off you'll be able to better access the needed repairs in total. If your lucky, the hull is an all glass stringer type hull and all you'll be in for is a transom job and some glass work. I have two going like that right now.

peckus

Cadet

I picked it up from a friends boss. He had it at his cottage for a few years no idea where it came from before still waiting for the registration from him This one is located in Chelsea Qc now

reelfishin

Captain

Your about 500 miles due north of me. I got my Glasspar off of eBay but had seen it in use not long before buying it nearby. Not likely their anyhow 'related' but I just though it a coincidence that someone else did pretty much the exact same decal and repair. Even more of a coincidence is that after I sanded mine down, (the upper cap was painted dark blue), the original color was bright red.
The name had also been changed from Big Red to Wild Thing, they painted right over the Big Red logo and stuck the Wild Think letters right over top. That's all gone now, I completely stripped the boat down and plan to do a complete resto on it soon. I'm not sure how many owners this boat has had, it's been all the way across the country since it was new. The earliest paperwork I have is from 1967, it was in Washington state back then, then in 1974 it was registered in Nebraska, then in 1977, in Missouri. So each time it got sold, it came a little farther east, until I finally bought it in Delaware and brought it to NJ. I'd not have bothered to keep it other than the fact that the last owner had just done a new floor and stringers and it had a mint clean Mercury 400 on it and a year old trailer. the trailer was why I bought it, I didn't even realize it came with the motor when I won it on eBay. It cost me more in gas to go get it than I paid for the boat so I was really happy when I saw the motor on it.

peckus

Cadet

looks so far all it will need is some glass work once I repair the transom. I almost have the cap off what a pita. I had quite a few rusted rivets that were very difficult to say the least. Going to have the cap off tonight and will post update.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

keep on rockin dude...

the more you get into it, the more appearant it will become on how to fix it.

we can fill in the detailes

peckus

Cadet

I am trying to keep on rockin........why must ther only be 24 hrs in a day? The cap is coming off tonight one way or anothr LOL.

peckus

Cadet

YES!!! The cap is off.

IMG_1925.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg

Only down side is there appears to be a LOT of work.....I am sure it will all be worth it though. Now to go read some more transom repair threads and get started on that.

peckus

Cadet

well the transom was pretty easy to dig out I attached a pic of the "wood" lol. The whole floor appears that it will also need replacing. I have started taking the glass off which was actually pretty easy so far. I guess the grinder will be coming out soon.

IMG_1934.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg