What to do about an ugly dashboard

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey!

I've put a *ton* of work into getting this neglected, abused 1994 Larson Cabrio 280 back to looking like the beautiful girl she is. a metric $h** ton of cleaning & de-molding, re upholstry on the deck and in the cabin, replacing the missing (stolen?) spotlight, reinstalling (properly) the stero, refinishing the wood work, fixing all the broken stuff (fridge, lights, head), new carpet, etc. And, she's really starting to come together.

One thing I'm not sure of, however, is the dashboard. It's plastic, looks to be either faded or idk what, but it's fugly and the only thing that really stands out now as needing work (except for my rotting out drive, but that's another story)

The current dash can be seen in the pic below:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f117/n915aa/20130521_201239_zps6f056905.jpg

I've been eyeing this thing up for quite a while now, and have been thinking that it would really set the helm off nicely, but wanted to see if anyone had any recomendations or suggestions for re-finishing the existing dashboard before I blew $500 on a new one and undertook the headache of trying to install new gauges.

2001 Larson Boats Cabrio 290 Instrument Dash Switch Gauge Panel 0311323 | eBay

Thanks!

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What to do about an ugly dashboard

Measure out what you need and go to you local auto body shop or place that does custom installations. Have them cut you that size piece of material and then cut the holes for your own gauges or have them do that for you too. If the gauges are still working no reason to replace them.

fishrdan

Admiral

Would that 2001 dash even fit your '94?

$500 seems nuts to me if the existing gauges are working.

I don't know how this would hold up on the dash, but I used plastic paint on a couple plastic parts of my boat (so they didn't stick out like a sore thumb), and the paint has been tough as nails. I thought it may scratch off easily, but it's held up really well. Don't remember what brand it was, Krylon, Rustoleum???

If you do paint the dash, I would leave it dry for a couple of weeks (or longer) so the paint hardens. If you try to install the gauges back into the dash while the paint is still green, you could scratch the paint off.

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class

Duplicolor makes an adhesion promoter and paints for plastics. As noted, let it fully cure before reinstalling.
Dupli-Color :: FAQ

Other brands have similar I am sure. For $20 bucks you can put a nice paint job on it any color you want. You might have to paint it every few years but that is cheaper than $500 and will look great.

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016

Duplicolor is great stuff and really tuff. Although I have not used it on applications that take direct sun day after day. The key will be how particular you are with taping things off. If you take your time with tape and masking, no one but you will know its not a new dash.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

That $500 will not be recovered when you sell it, but the other options will make her look like it should. The boat looks really nice , and from what I could see the dash wasn't really that bad from the shot you shared of it. I'd try the paint first, if your time and skills allow.

Now tell us about your rotting outdrive!

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I have used dashboard/plastic/vinyl type paints before and they looked and worked great. If the gauges are indeed working, remove them and re-spray the actual dash to match whatever color you want. You could also put a different color around the edge of the dash to set it off. You also could mask over the bezel glass of the gauges and re-spray the edge of all the gauges for an addition off set. Your imagination is your limit...

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer

FWIW; the plastic dash on my Bayliner was broken out totally; the gauges were laying inside under the dash. Took a piece of cardboard to make a template; got a piece of exterior paneling; cut out the holes with a hole saw; screwed it to the plastic. Did put several coats of varnish on it too; looks sharp to me. RF

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Patience, Sanding, Patience, Bondo Filler, Patience, Sanding, Primer, Sanding, more filler, Sanding, Primer, Patience, Duplicolor Metal Specks Paint,

m8LegziWU9jg-QuKaxwqTeA.jpg

final Clear Coat and VOILA' She'll be REAL PURDY!!!!!:D:eek:

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class

Patience, Sanding, Patience, Bondo Filler, Patience, Sanding, Primer, Sanding, more filler, Sanding, Primer, Patience, Duplicolor Metal Specks Paint,

m8LegziWU9jg-QuKaxwqTeA.jpg

final Clear Coat and VOILA' She'll be REAL PURDY!!!!!:D:eek:

Thanks guys! I'll probably re-do a nice tan color on it like the factory. I've been looking into DIY Wood grain, but that seems like its setting the bar a little high.

Anyone use the Duplicolor Chrome paint? Thoughts on what that would look like on the gauges?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Are you capable of pulling out your instruments...that is a wiring question really. There is a very simple and very elegant soulution. I will post later on materials and method's..Do you have a tap plastic's in your area?

Tha dash is elaborate but very easy to duplicate all you need to do is pull the old dash and dupicate it..i will be back with more.

516876d1364827360-custom-dashes-photo.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Tail_Gunner, are you suggesting making a mold of the current dash? that was my first thought.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

If the panel is modular in nature...

I'll deviate a little from what has been suggested. Get some carbon fiber looking vinyl (in a complimentary color) SOMETHING LIKE THIS, get some spray adhesive as well. Remove gauge panel, remove gauges, spray with adhesive and apply vinyl. Trim excess off and re-install. Repeat on the lower switch panels as well. Will give a nice newer look and be fast, cheap and easy!

3M makes some vinyl carbon fiber wrap as well (HERE)

Or any other texture that meets your fancy (HERE)

Last edited:

Gator1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll throw a couple pennies in. How about Hydrographics water transfer imaging? There are ton of wood grain patterns. Expense wise, it would likely not be the cheapest method but it would be the coolest by far. Maybe you can be the Iboats guinea pig.
I was going to dip my instrument panel but decided on a sheet of acrylic instead. Mine has no contours like yours does though

Here's a link or two, the product. https://www.mydipkit.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17
And the process: How-To: Woodgrain a Dash. - YouTube

Personally, I think its bad*****

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey ya'll.

Sorry about that. When I originally created the thread I didn't have any pics handy, and the boat is in storage 2 hours north. however, like the proud parent I am, I've got *tons* of pics of her on my phone. Heres a better one of the dash:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f117/n915aa/IMAG0338_zps88b60f96.jpg

This photos still not the best quality, but you can see A) it's curved, not flat B) there're contours in the panel C) it's textured, which might make painting it a little tricky. The gauges are also kinda ugly, which is why the EBay kit was appealing.

I like the idea of wrapping it. It wouldn't show the texturing in the dash panel, which is fine with me, and would look pretty nice.

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also,

Just found this..
Larson Cabrio Cruiser 270 280 290 330 Dash Gauge Panel Blank Woodgrain 97 98 99 | eBay

Not sure how pretty it is, but it'd certainly look better than the current rotting one, and would be easy to swap.

Also, Tail_Gunner, I've never worked on a dash, but I'm pretty confident in my abilities to pull the gauges and label / document all the connections to replace the gauges or R&R the existing ones into a new dash. ..unless there're any gotchyas that I'm not considering.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

nope, righty-tighty/lefty-loosy on the screws. a marker and some tape for labels

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Two way's to go about this 1st cheap and easy..just repair the old piece using scrap plastic and get yourself some budget carbon fiber wrap fair out the the dash and sand flat as glass..every little imperfection will show thru.

boat141.jpg

boat149.jpg

boat161.jpg

boat158.jpg

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Here's a good pic of bad fairing the carbon wrap show everthing...its very thin and transparent..

boat162.jpg

boat163.jpg

Ok that's a qiuck and dirty 35.00 repair and a hour of work..More to come

Attachments

• boat163.jpg
    boat163.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1