What losing this war will mean

txswinner

Banned
Re: What losing this war will mean

Another question I have is when do we know we won this war, we obviously have gone into it without proper goals as we found no WMD, we took Saddam out, we killed a ton of bad guys, there is no royal guard left and as soon as we are gone I suspect someone will attack and take over the country. WHAT IS A WIN! AND WE DO OUR MEN AND WOMEN GET TO COME HOME.

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is a win? <br /><br />For me it's when I can get on the local commuter trains or the subway and not wonder if there is a bomb on it. Happened in Madrid with 212 killed and over 1,000 injured. I knew one who was killed, and I know several families that were affected with injuries. I think about it every day when I use the public transportation system and I travel a lot in the course of a day. <br /><br />It's over when everyone in New York, London, etc. can feel safe that there will be no explosive bombs, dirty bombs, nuclear - biological - or - chemical warfare to welcome them as they go to work in the morning, when there are no more busses bombed.<br /><br />If one lives in an unthreatning environment they don't feel the need to do anything to make an environment safe for others. To not face and fight the problem of terrorism is a wrong thing.<br />And I still contend that there is no right way to do a wrong thing.<br /><br />You asked the question. Now what represents a win for you.

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is a win? <br /><br />For me it's when I can get on the local commuter trains or the subway and not wonder if there is a bomb on it. Happened in Madrid with 212 killed and over 1,000 injured. I knew one who was killed, and I know several families that were affected with injuries. I think about it every day when I use the public transportation system and I travel a lot in the course of a day. <br /><br />It's over when everyone in New York, London, etc. can feel safe that there will be no explosive bombs, dirty bombs, nuclear - biological - or - chemical warfare to welcome them as they go to work in the morning, when there are no more busses bombed.<br /><br />If one lives in an unthreatning environment they don't feel the need to do anything to make an environment safe for others. To not face and fight the problem of terrorism is a wrong thing.<br />And I still contend that there is no right way to do a wrong thing.<br /><br />You asked the question. Now what represents a win for you.

oddjob

Commander

What is a win?<br /><br /><br />the opposite of a loss.....in this case....innocent lives....surviving....Americans are programed to survive. If anyone in America needs programing but would rather beg for peace then you can do so by standing in front of me and my foxhole. That way you can support the mission using your method and you wont be in my way for very long.

txswinner

Banned

I do not think we can win the war in Iraq. I would not have gone into Iraq without a plan to win, and we have. I do not know what to do now, just I do not want to see young American men and women dying for an unobtainable goal. I guess I think Iraq is not the answer nor was Saddam. A win would be to bring in Bin Laden and I would support 100% efforts to do that. But if you step back it is easy to see our effort is in Iraq, could it be there is no or little oil in Afganistan?

D

DJ

txswinner wrote:<br /><br />
I do not think we can win the war in Iraq. I would not have gone into Iraq without a plan to win, and we have. I do not know what to do now, just I do not want to see young American men and women dying for an unobtainable goal. I guess I think Iraq is not the answer nor was Saddam. A win would be to bring in Bin Laden and I would support 100% efforts to do that. But if you step back it is easy to see our effort is in Iraq, could it be there is no or little oil in Afganistan?
That's what is hurting us. That defeatist attitude so prevelant today, obviously gained from todays leftist media. STOP WATCHING NETWORK NEWS. It's bogus and agenda driven.<br /><br />Talk to a soldier or two. They're re-signing in record numbers. They see a difference, they're making. New recruitments are low because of the media. I think reinlistments, tell the story.<br /><br />Here's a tip. Viet Nam is over. We've changed.

txswinner

Banned

DJ You sound like a broken Rush (the drug addict) Limbaugh record. Think a little on your own, I watch both sides not turn off network news because it is not what I want to hear. By the way I am a registered Republican and most of my friends consider me conservative, but can still think.

D

DJ

txswinner,<br /><br />I wondered how long it would take for you to resort to name calling. I'll take a reformed drug addict over a true alcoholic/murderer (Ted Kennedy) anyday. We ALL have skeletons. I'll announce mine.<br /><br />I think, all by myself. I happen to have a good book that guides me. It gets me in trouble, with todays society, but that's NOT a bad thing. I'll stick to my beliefs, NO matter what.<br /><br />"Registered republican", yea right.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

txs, I'm a tenderfoot newbie and I already know that you're not a registered Republican. Quit pretending to be one. Geez, man.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

What are we doing in Irak at this point? We are being manipulated by the different sides in a smoldering civil war that had been contained by Sadat in a murderous way.<br />Victory in Irak can simply be attained by stepping to the side and letting the arabs do what they are real good at,which is killing each other wholesale until one of the parties has won.Why should we be the pawn to be cynically used by one of the parties in Irak,the same we were used in Lebanon by one of the parties there??

agitator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its amazing how, much better the bench sitters could fight this war than the people who have been there and are involved in it on a day to day basis.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I am watching with eager anticipation how this war goes. If the liberal press and the military geniuses like Nancy Pelosi have their way I am setting up my new busness's.<br /><br />WWW.burka.com. I figure that women make up 51% of the population so each one will need several for daily use. Perhaps I can get Pat Schroeder to help design some high fashion jobs.<br /><br />koran.com. They will have to be in all the schools and every american will need one otherwise we might offend them or make them mad. Buy 3 get a free prayer rug! Act now and get a free mecca compass. It always points to mecca for your 5 times a day prayer session with your master.<br /><br />Sabres are us: Get your sword and your exploding belt packs from the best. Scrimatar's are our specialty. Perfect for removing the limbs of those who offend the koran. Our swords will be the exclusive supplier to the new tv "punishiment" style shows. <br /><br />Note to the youth of our new society, aspiring to be a lawyer/judge is not going to be a fruitful career path as we will have nothing but religious law going forward.<br /><br />I am dumping my stock in gillette as razors will have little or no place in society. In fact they are down right offensive. And that would be terrible.<br /><br />Remember the planes flew into the world trade centers BEFORE the war. Bush wasn't flying them. That means we are the victims. We were attacked. We have every right to defend our sovereignty and our safety and those complicite are equally as guilty and subject to action. <br /><br />But hopefully our new life style will energize the worst economy since the great depression. - John Kerry.

Skinnywater

Commander

You said "what war does to good men after they come home." A little freudian slip there, huh? A good deal of what the Vietnam vets went through was after they got home, when they arrived in airports and were spat upon by the very SCUM OF THE EARTH. I surely wouldn't want to be associated with so-called "war protestors" in any way whatsoever.
What a lot of them went through affected the rest of their lives so profoundly that a little spit was no big deal.<br />Freudian slip? You're desparately reaching. Nixon called them back when I was in basic training. Spent the next 3 years at Ft. Benning watching all the pieces trying to be put back together again. It was SNAFU bigtime the whole time I was in.<br /><br />txwinner, I'd almost forgot the opportunity I had to take my best freinds son fishing a couple months ago. His unit, the 1st Marines Expeditionary force was the unit that kicked doors down from one side of Falusha to the other.<br />He's in Hawaii now hopefully soon to be discharged. He wants out bad, but as a battle experienced squad leader that got rank fast he's sure that he'll have to spend "stop-loss" time in Afganistan.<br /><br />Twenty four years old and that look is again familiar.<br />We didn't get into details for sure. But his plans were to be in law enforcement when he got out. Hopefully he will sometime but he said he'd just like to travel alone and not have any plans. He doubted he'd get into law enforcement, he said "he was sick of kicking down doors".<br /><br />Here's a "Freudian slip" for you dogsdad.<br />Even though we caught some nice Bass on the lake and he was back home in fine physical shape, it was a sobering time. He was quiet alot, but out of the blue he told me how he'd like to ride a Bull. He asked if I knew where he could find a Bull to ride. Keith and I rode horses in the past but he's never rode a bull.<br />I told him that just because he was a bad-azz Marine didn't mean he could whup a Bull. He spit in the water and said, "I know", and went on fishing.<br />It dawned on me there and then, he didn't want to ride one in a good way. He wanted the pain and wanted the Bull to hurt him.................<br /><br />Yeah txwinner, war to protect the motherland is altogether one thing.<br />But war to be the "worlds police" is even a more expensive price, as you well know.<br /><br />God bless your family and your son txwinner.

Skinnywater

Commander

txs, I'm a tenderfoot newbie and I already know that you're not a registered Republican. Quit pretending to be one.
Looks like Republicans don't like anyone. Neither Liberals or Conservatives, and only veterans that agree with them.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

I would never trivialize what the guys went through in combat...but I know that a lot of vets are especially embittered by the America to which they returned, because it looked like a different planet with all the anti-war crap going on and folks spitting on them and disrespecting them with epithets like "baby-killer." Those same folks are the ones that dredged up all this anti-war crap we get bombarded with every day if we lack the judgement to not watch the evening news where some marxist ******* is constantly whispering in our collective ear, "you're losing!" THAT is undermining the entire effort, and it is politically motivated and orchestrated by a group of people who will do ANYTHING to get their power back. And we know WHO THESE PEOPLE ARE!

txswinner

Banned

Dogsdad, I hope you are wrong as I am not looking for power back. I would just not give one American life for the whole country of Iraq or the people who live there. Let them kill each other. How is that for a conservative viewpoint!

dogsdad

Lieutenant

But that is too simplistic.<br /><br />What we are doing is trying to plant freedom in a region of the world where there is none so that the people will have a stake in civilization and freedom in general. If we can establish democracy in Iraq, then people in other countries in the region will want to follow suit, and that means throwing out the governments that endorse and sponsor terrorism.<br /><br />What we have to understand in America is that THEY (the terror syndicate) have declared war on us, and they fully intend to bring it to us. If we do not fight, they WILL bring it to us and in a way that will make 9-11 seem like a holiday. We can't make the threat go away by refusing to get involved. We are involved---we are the target! We had best get it done in Iraq, or we're going to get it done in Atlanta, Denver, Dallas, San Diego, Seattle, New York, Boston, and a lot of other places whose names we can pronounce with confidence.<br /><br />Which way do you want to go?