What losing this war will mean

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What losing this war will mean

Some interesting stuff here. Just consider this - THERE AIN"T NO WAY OUT and never will be as long as this administration is in power!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Art B:<br /> Some interesting stuff here. Just consider this - THERE AIN"T NO WAY OUT and never will be as long as this administration is in power!
And Art, what would you do? Pull all of them out and send them home?<br />What have all of them died for if you did that?

Ralph 123

Captain

Ralph, Explain to me why gasoline is going out of sight
1. Global demand is way up especially from India and China<br /><br />2. Rampant speculation in future markets (same thing driving up real estate prices in some parts of the country right now)<br /><br />3. limited refinery capacity in the US (haven't built a refinery in the US since the 70s due to environmentalist and NIMBY obstructionism.)<br /><br /><br />Oh...no wait ... this war is for cheap oil! Ya that's it - Cheap Oil! <br /><br />Oh ... no.. no... that's not it either... wait ... this war was for expensive oil so Exxon and the oil companies could make money!!! <br /><br />Have I got it right now? <br /><br />BTW, secretly, the Oil companies didn't want Bush to win a second term so they kept raising prices to hurt his re-election chances - shhhh - don't tell anyone!<br /><br />Gotta run, I hear black helicopters buzzing around my house!!!<br /><br />
Kool-AidMan.jpg

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

We are way to PC now to do what we did in Japan after Pearl Harbor.<br />We would have lost a lot less lives in VN and in Iraq if we had. Just my opinion.

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by SBN:<br />
Originally posted by Art B:<br /> Some interesting stuff here. Just consider this - THERE AIN"T NO WAY OUT and never will be as long as this administration is in power!
And Art, what would you do? Pull all of them out and send them home?<br />What have all of them died for if you did that?
I wish I knew. But I'm pretty sure that it it is not going away or that it will get better as long as we have an administration that has to justify its actions.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

It amazes me how easily some folks are led around by the media.<br /><br />All this crap about the Administration and the generals not knowing what they're doing is a bunch of unadulterated buffalo dung. As is all this crap about us being there to steal Iraq's oil. And the cynical comments about who fights wars.<br /><br />Follow the chain of events. Look where you've been, and you'll see you've been manipulated into believing lies based upon lies based upon deceptions---all politically motivated and designed to put the leftists back into power.<br /><br />Capital "B" capital "S!"

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by dogsdad:<br /> It amazes me how easily some folks are led around by the media.<br /><br />All this crap about the Administration and the generals not knowing what they're doing is a bunch of unadulterated buffalo dung. As is all this crap about us being there to steal Iraq's oil.
I agree. We're not there to steal oil. We're there to get rid of the WMD's.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Oddly enough no-one's yet mentioned that the reason all this is happening in the 1st place is because the victors in ww2 decided that they knew best and created Israel out of what at the time was someone else's homelands.<br /><br />Agreed, what's going on now is evil and needs dealing with in the harshest and quickest possible way but it's not THAT far removed from the reason the IRA killed hundreds of UK citizens-just the violence and fundamentalism has been over a bigger timeframe so it's spread further.<br /><br />It will never go away.Not even if we all get out of the middle east-in the same way that the IRA haven't gone away. They are still administering "punishment beatings" etc etc and they are still a very real problem in Northern Ireland-even though they have a 'legitimate' stake in government.Can anyone really imagine the Israelis allowing the PLO a say in how they run Israel?! THAT kind of diplomacy will simply never exist.<br /><br />There is no way out of this without either wiping every muslim off the face of the earth or handing Israel and the rest of the middle east back(I'm not advocating anything here).<br /><br />Neither is ever going to ever happen. Once a religion warps into the kind of fundamentalism we are seeing now with al-qaida then there will always be people willing to kill for what they perceive to be the will of their deity.<br /><br />Is the war right or wrong? I couldn't say. What I WILL say is that we should never have had the presumption to create this situation in the first place. Now we've got to sort it out-and it may never end.Maybe it's time we all learned some lessons.

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey use guys. I don't pretend to know any more than you do but my record is pretty good. I said at the time that it was a mistake to go to war in Vietnam. We should have learned from Korea. And when those bombs started dropping on Bagdad, I said "Oh ****, will we never learn?. Our country doesn't do that kind of thing."

Ralph 123

Captain

Oddly enough no-one's yet mentioned that the reason all this is happening in the 1st place is because the victors in ww2 decided that they knew best and created Israel out of what at the time was someone else's homelands/
I think you've missed some of the posts Nos4r2

Skinnywater

Commander

This isn't about the ME it is about the Non-Muslim world Vs the Muslim world.<br />
You made this claim Ralph and my answer was in response to it.<br />
Prove it. Little old Al Qaeda trained 60,000 in a short time in Afghanistan. 100 or maybe even 1,000 times that number have been through the Madrasses. Many times that number have been radicalized through Wahhabism which has been proselytizing for 200 years and is backed by billions in funding. I hope you are right and it's just a small number but the evidence so far is otherwise. There are 300 Al Qaeda suspects under active surveillance in the UK alone.<br />
You respond with these numbers, very low in comparison to the your above statement. <br />I'm still trying to make the point that I don't want our hypocracy to feed Al Qaeda from the ranks that I previously mentioned.<br />
Again, I am really unclear on what meddling you're talking about that inflamed the average man on the street that brought about 911.
It was in the first post Ralph.<br />• Iran Embassy Hostages, 1979;<br />• Beirut, Lebanon Embassy 1983;<br />• Beirut, Lebanon Marine Barracks 1983;<br />• Lockerbie, Scotland Pan-Am flight to New York 1988;<br />• First New York World Trade Center attack 1993;<br />• Dhahran, Saudi Arabia Khobar Towers Military complex 1996;<br />• Nairobi, Kenya US Embassy 1998;<br />• Dares Salaam, Tanzania US Embassy 1998;<br />• Aden, Yemen USS Cole 2000;<br />And we're still fighting them. Most of the opposition in Iraq isn't Al Qaeda. Since you keep mentioning how unclear it is, it just now dawns on me you might honestly think we never meddle!<br />
That's just unrealistic.
Well Ralph that just about takes it right there. It's our money paying the corrupt regimes and our money supporting Al Qaedas cause. <br />We're at war that could last for 20 years and you worry about gas prices now? Just when do you think it'll be a good time to quit paying them to kill us?<br />
Ask India how being economically and politically isolationist worked out for them.
In about three ways I wrote that I didn't want to do any business with the enemy, never once mentioning isolationism. What is it Ralph, I mention the number 3 and you automatically multiply it by 3?<br />It isn't isolationist to quit rewarding corrution and tyranny! I don't think you've read or understood a single thing I've said.<br /><br />Anyway Ralph, I know all this Constitution talk isn't the way it's done these days. Winning a war with warriors isn't done anymore. Being independent and answerable to ourselves, economically and physically isn't done anymore.<br />Taking care of our own issues before the worlds isn't done anymore. <br />And you still don't think we meddle. :) <br /><br />Ralph, thanks again, I do appreciate our engagements.

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

we will never lose, america has been way farther into debt than this,,,we will fight untill we are further into debt than before ,,,why ,well because we hate to see other countrys being financialy munipulated by there leaders...

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by mikeandronda:<br /> ...I agree we need to stay out of their beds but then if they so much as threaten us we should obliderate s/p? them......and that would include any counrty that harbors and trains and provides them with arms......hmmmmmmm sounds a bit like Iraq and afganistan.
What about Iran? Oh, yeah that's right, baby bush doesn't have anything against them personally. And it isn't advantageous to him to take them on too.<br /><br />
Originally posted by pointer84:<br /><br />Religious, political, or national wars are still wars. The fact they don't wear a uniform or occupy a body of land doesn't change the constructs of a war. This is a new twist on war and we are struggling to adapt an institution quickly from a standing army to this new form of intellegence based infiltration of the enemy.
I agree, in part. But I believe that our current administration is not trying to adapt. Instead I believe that the current administration is more focused on doing what they want, and what is going to benefit their buddies and political allies. We did not send in enough troops to get the job done in the beginning. The administration did not want to listen to the commanders at the front. And the one-sided behavior hasn't stopped since. I support our troops. I support giving them all the resources they need to get the job done. But I support educating OUR youth. Caring for OUR elderly. Providing for OUR country. And I still disagree with why we are there in the first place. The point is, we are there. We need to support our troops. But by supporting the village idiot we are validating his flawed reasoning and his lack of leadership that allowed the misinformation to be utilized unquestioned. And to address that point again,"THE ADMINISTRATION HAD SOLID INTELLIGENCE THAT REFUTED WMD'S IN IRAQ BEFORE WE INVADED!" However, since it did not support his wants, bush ignored it. And no one on the right wants to accept that simple fact.<br /><br />
<br />I personally loath the tactics that will need to be implemented and rest assured racial profiling will be implemented with the next major American attack. Our open boarder has to be a thing of the past. But lives are in the balance. The enemy has no ethics and adhere to no rules of war, and we will eventually need some way to identify the enemy and in an open society this is impossible. Heck the London bombers were poster children for upstanding Islamic English citizens. They weren't. People died.<br /><br />Things are going to get brutal and ugly. Very ugly and more innocents will die. Homicide bombers have killed over 100 people in the past 24hrs and we are concerned about the handling of the Koran? Talk about not keeping your eye on the ball. Misplaced priorities and personal agendas will cost lives not just dollars as was the case in the past.
As for racial profiling, I am generally against any form of discrimination. But in this instance, we do not have Blacks, Chinese, Hispanics, or Slavs attacking us. We have Persians, namely Muslims attacking us. So when you are being endangered by people with such a narrow scope of characteristics it is STUPID not to profile. I too will loathe the tactics needed to win. However, as has been stated, this is war. It has it's own set of rules and civility isn't necessarily one of them. In a fight for life, you do whatever is necessary to be the victor. In this case we need to try to be as civil as possible, but still do whatever we need to in order to be that victor. We need some civility, otherwise we may win the war, but lose the world. And then we will never stop fighting.<br />
<br />Thanks for making time to understand my point.
I thank you for the respect to address me, and my opposition. That takes and deserves respect.

Ralph 123

Captain

And we're still fighting them. Most of the opposition in Iraq isn't Al Qaeda. Since you keep mentioning how unclear it is, it just now dawns on me you might honestly think we never meddle!
That's the problem in a nutshell SW, we DID NOT fight them after each of those incidents. We ran away or launched a few cruise missiles into aspirin factories which lead people like UBL to conclude we were cowards and could be defeated. A paper tiger who tucked tail and ran as soon as we bled. He even mentioned things like the Lebanon barracks bombing and the Al Qaeda planned attack in Mogadishu as proof of our unwillingness to fight. Our unwillingness to fight just encouraged more attacks, in the same way as coughing up your lunch money to a bully ensures he'll back tomorrow.<br /><br />Funny, you'd point to terrorist attacks on us a proof of meddling. Clearly I am missing something totally. I am not even sure anymore what your definition is of meddling? Is it doing business and trading? Is it having diplomatic relations with regimes we may not like? Is it encouraging freedom and democracy? Is it giving economic aid> Is it providing aids drugs and food to Africa? Is is trying to help negotiate peace treaties? Is it trying to put an end to genocide? What exactly is Meddling? Lead lease to the Brits in WWII? Is it the work of the Peace Corps? Is it sewer and water development projects in the third world? What? On the one hand you seem to argue that it's having relations with governments as we find them and on the other hands it seems to be opposing brutal regimes. So, I have to conclude, meddling is having anything to do with the outside world since no matter what we do it's wrong and so if we are attacked it's our own fault.<br /><br />
In about three ways I wrote that I didn't want to do any business with the enemy, never once mentioning isolationism
Well forgive me but your arguments all sound very isolationist to me (as do Pats). Stay home, take care of ourselves, don't trade, be self sufficient, etc., etc = isolationism. Pulling back from the world. Not trading freely.<br /><br />unless you know other people selling oil we can purchase it from you are talking about a cut in oil consumption of 30%. That's all very appealing but also very unrealistic and ultimately very detrimental to economic health. Even these lefty nuts would be screaming with the resulting 20%+ unemployment rate and out of control inflation that would likely result from such policies.

txswinner

Banned

Ralph, I said I was thru but I would ask one last question of you and all your remarks about the left. Let me reiterate, I am a VietNam vet, My Dad was a WWII vet, my granddad was in WWI and I have one son presently serving in the USMC. I think I have earned the right to address this issue without your cheap remarks about left wing takeover. I voted Republican except for the president and his pretention to serve this country in VietNam. The left wing Kerry commie puke drove a river boat and I can tell you and all the other chicken hawks that he was heroic to be in one of those. I know I got picked up by them, usually under heavy fire. Now back to my question "What have you done that allows you to promote sending our troops to die into an unwinable war."

Ralph 123

Captain

First, I reject the premise of your question. It's defeatist to say the least and presumes that no one has a right to an opinion about the war unless they served in the military, which is an utterly ridiculous statement. I am for space exploration too but that doesn't mean I have to be a astronaut to advocate it. You don't have to be a police officer to advocate law and order. In the US, the citizens have freedom of speech and get to decide the direction of the country through their vote and advocacy, So your question is simply nonsensical.<br /><br />However, since you think the only people who have a "right" to have an opinion of the war are the people serving in it, all you have to do is look at the HISTORICALLY HIGH reenlistment rate of soldiers who served in Iraq and Afghanistan and the numbers volunteering for extra tours. By your own criteria, they truly have the right to decide if we should continue the war and have the EXACT OPPOSITE opinion as you do. Polls show they went like 80% for Bush. <br /><br />Now, if you want to know about my military background I was ROTC and served in the US Army. I have a cousin that did a tour in Iraq and keeps trying to get back there. My uncle, who is a full bird Col tried to come out retirement and do a tour but they say he's just too old now. I have relatives that served in just about every war. I gre up in a Boston neighborhood that has produced more US Marines than any other place in the country and also had the highest per capita losses in Vietnam of any place in the country. All of that is totally irrelevant and does not give me any more or less rights than a person who never served a day. That's what America is all about.<br /><br />Instead of sticking your chest out and waving around your service like it gives you some special right to decide these issues, why don't you spend a little time becoming informed so the next time you post you'll be able to state some facts to back up your opinions and avoid relying on ridiculous conspiracy theories that aren't even well thought out. I disagree with some of the left wingers here but I respect most of them because they are at least informed.

D

DJ

Ralph,<br /> <br />First off, thank you for your service-Sir. You have my devoted respect.<br /><br />I did not serve, to my personal disappointment-realized later in life.<br /><br />Your post was SPOT ON.<br /><br />We (USA) are fighting a war unlike any other in human history. Unfortunately, the average US citizen doesn't believe it because there are not tanks in the streets. True idiocy flamed by a US hating media.<br /><br />The opposing politicians sicken me. They are ONLY interested in regaining power, at ANY cost to the public. That, to me is: TREASON.<br /><br />The only thing, sad to say, that will wake up the American public is a series of nukes (ex USSR-now in OBL hands) going off in our cities.<br /><br />Maybe that won't even do it.<br /> :(

txswinner

Banned

My objection was not a result of a pumped up chest but your referring to those adverse as Left wing with the intent of demeaning. I am not sure where your service statics come from but even you intellects who read so much better than others know that the army is hurting for numbers. If indeed you were militarily trained past Austin Air National you would know the FIRST Rule of military engagement is fight when you can when and have a plan to retreat and re-establish, the invasion of Iraq has neither.