What is your city/town known for?

pjc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What is your city/town known for?

Harley Davidson & Beer<br /><br />'nuf said

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

My home town Enfield Ct has nothing now ...but at one time this town was the main supplier of gunpowder to the Union Army during the civil war. The Hazard Powder Company was in bisness from 1830-1913 when a huge explosion leveled the place and it was never rebuilt. Ruins still litter the a large area where it was located, several dams ruins along the Scantic River offer excellent trout fishing and a stone spillway on the lower pool makes a nice cool dip summer people have been using that along as I can remember. Also we were home to world famous Bigelow-Sanford Carpets until they moved down south in the 1970's..........

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War. Not far from where we're building our new house is where Stonewall Jackson died.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Medford WI<br /><br />The Mink Capitol of the World, well it used to be.<br />Tombstone and DiGiorno Pizzas<br />Hurd windows<br />Weathershield, Visions, and now Peachtree windows.<br /><br />Helen Kunz, as in where is Helen kunz?<br /><br />One of the founders of Tombstone owns/owned? the resort island in Belize where the first "Survivor" show was filmed. Its a lot more developed than what was shown on the tv.

Homerr

Commander

You took my steam LubeDude!<br /><br />Well said.. and 'Nuff said. :eek: <br /><br />Methamphatamine capital here.<br /><br /><br />H.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

We're just a little bity mountain town up here, but we do have The Sierra Endangered Cat Haven.<br />Pretty cool. They rehabilitate wild cats, like tigers,panthers,etc. <br /> Cat Haven <br /><br /> We're also 30 minutes from the Big Sequoia National Forest where the Nation's Christmas Tree is. The last pit stop before the park.<br /> Sequoia National Park

NathanY

Commander

Springdale AR is home to the largest meat producer in the world, Tyson. Also the largest trucking company in the world, J.B. Hunt.

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

We're known for the women, so I'm told. Nude bars are everywhere. Dallas anyway

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Sorry Nate.<br />In millions of dollars:<br /><br />#1 $24,800.0 UPS<br />#2 $2,900.0 YELLOW FREIGHT<br />#3 $2,700.0 SCHNEIDER<br />#4 $2,654.1 ROADWAY<br />#5 $2,200.0 CONSOLIDATED<br />#6 $2,200.0 RYDER LOGISTICS<br />#7 $1,900.0 RPS<br />#8 $1,842.0 JB HUNT<br />#9 $1,684.0 CON-WAY<br />#10 $1,157.0 ABF<br /><br /><br />That puts JBHunt at second for full load carriers, behind Wisconsin's Schneiders mobile pumpkins, which run 14,000+ loads a day.<br />Don't remember how many trucks on the road per company, but believe Schneider is tops there too.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

cajun555<br /> kennedale was known for cowtown speedway and the kennendale dragstrip. spent many a happy our on the 5th mile and then the 1/8 thile track :) <br /> and some nights we would go watch the roundy rounders after redlighting :)

Bondo

Staff member

Born,+ raised in "Canoe City", Old Town Maine......... <br />Home of the Old Town Canoe Co. just across the river from the Penobscot Indian reservation........<br />a short 12 miles up-river from the Salt.......<br /><br />Now,+ for 30years, Watertown, Ny.<br />Famous for being the birthplace of Shredded Wheat cakes....... And, Garland....... And, the 1st Woolworth's 5 & Dime(Ya, F.W. was a local boy)...<br />More Famous for the Army base just next door,..... <br />Fort Dumb,...errr, Fort Drum, home to the 10th Mountain Div................... :D <br />
My town (Greig) isn't known by many.
OMC,<br />Greig is Pretty Famous for having 1 of the Few, Still Operating Drive-In Theaters, in NY state............. ;)

TilliamWe

Banned

My hometown: East Liverpool, OH-- Pottery Capital of the World. (ok, not anymore, but that is what is was known for)<br /><br />My current town: Peoria, IL<br /><br />"If it plays in Peoria, it'll play Anywhere"<br /><br />And of Course:<br /><br />CATERPILLAR

TilliamWe

Banned

KKC,<br /><br />Fire Island, Long Island, NY USA <br /><br />The original question was what is your city/town known for. You gave us a nice history of the entire region of Long Island, thanks.<br /><br />But what is your "town" known for?

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by heyttown:<br /> Well Toledo is called the "Glass city" we have Libbey glass manufacturing....<br /><br />But I think most people would recognize JEEP...Wranglers and Liberty's.<br /><br />Not to forget Jamie Farr(MASH) and his endorsement of the World Famous Tony Packos Hotdog.......
Yea Buddy!<br /><br />Gotta luv them hot dogs! The chili aint bad either!<br /><br />You forgot Owens Corning....the Pink Panther!

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Lansing Mich (general area) THE ORIGINAL ROCKET ENGINE !!! OLDSMOBILE, now practically defunct :( <br />Michigan State University.Magic Johnson and John Smoltz. Malcom X was born here, Stevie Wonder grew up here. There is also some other unforgetable stuff that I can't remember. :)