What is your city/town known for?

Scooby

Seaman
Re: What is your city/town known for?

Stooper bowl 39 - What a shim sham this is.

ZmOz

Captain

Sherwood, OR....population explosion. When I moved here in '89 I was one of about 2,000 people. Today I'm one of about 14,000 people. :rolleyes: Also we have a huge drug problem. They have tons of tax money here and tons of cops, but they must all spend most of the night snorting the evidence. The drug deals around town are so obvious it's funny...

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Baltimore<br />Home of the Star Spangled Banner. We kicked English a$$ & sent them packing in 1812.<br />Johns Hopkins medical school.<br />Worst dressed people in the U.S. according to some magazine. <br />Scrubbed marble steps & painted screens on the old city rowhouses.

Stratosfied

Ensign

KKC,<br />Pensacola Naval Airstation is the Cradle of Naval Avaition. My hometown of Brewton Al., is home to Hank Locklin,( Grand Ol Opery Hall of Fame), and William Lee Golden,(of the Oak Ridge Boys). Brewton is also know as the Blueberry capitol of Alabama, and at one time in the seventies, had more millionares per capita then any other area in the US, hence the motto, The City of Wealth and Beauty. Named to the 100 best small towns in America (twice), I could go on and on.

spratt

Lieutenant

Seattle was named as the "Fittest City" last year!!! It is also the Home of Starbucks, until last year was the Home of Boeing Aircraft, Homeof Microsoft (actually they are in Redmond, Wa) and is generally not a bad area to live in...if you can get past the homeless, the poor, the millionaires and billionaires who nearly drown daily from tehir noses being pointed too high...So much caffeine flowing that people can't help but run and hurry and burn calories all the time. Unfortunatley I don't live in Seattle.

KennyKenCan

Commander

Ahhhhh,<br /><br />Now I see...<br /><br />Sorry SW!!<br /><br />Thanks Stratosfied, for setting me straight

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My little town ain't known for much.<br />It is called the Gateway To The Tri-State.<br />Ky-Oh-Wva.<br />2 rivers meet here, the Little Sandy and Ohio merge here at Catlettsburg.<br /><br />We have a famous person from here, he is Franklin Runyon. The name won't mean anything to most, but he was one of the Marines that raised that flag on Iwo Jima.<br />If you look at the picture, he is the 2nd. marine form the left.<br /><br />Ironically, he was killed on Iwo Jima about a month after raising that flag.<br /><br />Other than a large operation of barges pushing coal to the Mississippi, we are pretty quite.

FSHKPR

Ensign

Green Bay, Paper mills and the Packers!

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class

Denison Texas, birth place of Dwight Eisenhower even though they moved away when he was an infant. Also famous for grapes or somthing

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Mansfield Ohio, We have the Mid Ohio Sports Car Course which is an excellent track. Did get to see many well known drivers. Now they have built a beautiful track Mansfield Speedway. Last year was our first year of NASCAR Truck series. They will be back again this year in May. Sorry, tickets are sold out already.<br /><br />This area is big on Johnny Appleseed as well. There still is some manufacturing plants but not big ones like when Tappan and Westinghouse was based here.<br /><br />Then just outside of town is the Malabar Farm where Louis Broomfield wrote all his books on agriculture. Bogie and McCall vistited there and got married as well.<br /><br />We also have a large correction facility, but I guess there are lots of those around now days.

one more cast

Captain

My town (Greig) isn't known by many. Most people from even 30 or 40 miles away never even heard of it.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Our city is known for commercial fishing or should I say use to be!!!! Now we are more of a tourist area!!!! Biggest industry is "Gortons of Gloucester"!!! These days they process all frozen fish imported from other countries!!! Also known for "THE PERFECT STORM"!!! And over the years our city has lost over 3000 commercial fishermen to the ocean!!!!

87Aggie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fordyce, Arkansas, home of the Redbugs and birthplace of Paul "Bear" Bryant (famous football coach for The Crimson Tide. Johnny Cash was born and raised just down the road a few miles in Kingsland, Arkansas.

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

Original home of Tonka Toys.<br /><br />"edit"<br /><br />Minnesota, home of:<br />Lund Boats<br />Alumacraft Boats<br />Glastron Boats<br />Warrior Boats<br />Polaris snowmobiles/motorcycles<br />Arctic Cat snowmobiles<br /><br />Mayo Clinic

dolluper

Captain

HOT AIR we have alot of politicans of all sorts, can,t inderstand why,s it 's so friggen COLD

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

well since ya bring up the state subject:<br /><br />"Welcome to Wisconsin..<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.. Illinois' vacation resort and trash dumpester" :rolleyes:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Once upon a time.....Marble tons of it mined and re-located all over the world and in allot of Washington DC monuments.<br /><br />Now not too much the quarries have shut down 40 years ago.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

well<br /> I got both cradles beat.<br /> not only is kitty hawk the birthplace of aviation but they flew off my great grandfathers land, he later sold it to the parks service and now there is a big monument on it. something about the wright brothers monument. that and like the bumper stickers say" Kitty Hawk. a small drinking villiage with a fishing problem"

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

Not much happens here, But my town has always been known for being a speed trap, or lately known as where all the wrecking yards and topless bars are.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Yarra Valley, Melbourne. Wine. Thats it.<br /><br />Aldo